Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
TinCup

Default Distributor Oiler and Bushings.

Occasionally when rebuilding a distributor I will run across the remnants of some type of wick in the side oiler chamber. No part exists in any catalogue I have seen nor have any of the online articles or seminars have mentioned it. I have seen it enough that it appears not to be just random. Has anyone else run into this before?

I also noticed when replacing the upper and lower bushings that the replacement that Snyder's sells is almost half the size of the original. Just for grins I ordered a set from Bratton's and they are the correct size. Now since I also had a set from Mike's which still had Snyder's tag on them I know the smaller set wasn't a one off. Other than money what do you suppose is the reason for the shorter bushing. While any distributor I build will outlive me regardless of the bushing I will get the correct replacements going forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7071.jpg (44.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by TinCup; 10-31-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: pic
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
John

Default Re: Distributor Oiler and Bushings.

I too have noticed that wick-like substance in the oiler passage and do not know if it is a wick or just accumulated crud as it is usually deteriorated beyond recognition. A felt wick does make sense in the passage. Good question and I hope someone does have an answer.

I also have seen the difference in the bushings and also noted that some were dimpled and some were not. Either seems to work quite well and as you noted and will outlast me. I guess it is a vendor/price issue.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

We all say the Henry’s upper bushing was designed without a way to lube it. Just many the addition of that wick was Henry’s way of lubing it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

If the dist is lubed as the owners instruction book says the upper bushing is lubed---- take oil gun and squirt full---- most cars say just a few drops for dist lube, the A you fill it full--- one day I was bored and slowly read the book, then I tried it, went for a ride and looked, there was a slight amount of oil coming out the top bushing
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
jak

The shorter bushing might be a stock bushing. Bratton's that size specially run for them.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote