Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #21
Ronnie Lawson

Default Re: > Radiator Question for Florida Resident SIZE DOES MATTER <

SIZE DOES MATTER
I am restoring a 1929 (late 1929) Town Sedan. The radiator is 7/8 inch too low. I have contacted the manufacture and we are trying to determine why it is so low. See the attached picture.
I noted that the model a frame has changed the front cross member height at the radiator mounting surface. I have measured 3/8 inch between frames that can be used on a late 1929 body. Flush on a early 28-29 frame and 3/8 recessed on a late 29 frame. You can put a put a 30-31 frame under a 28-29 body. I also have the short water neck on the engine. My motor mount is drawn down to a 1/32 inch between front motor mount springs. I also have the 1/8 inch pad under the radiator mounting surface.

0216111732.jpg

0217111707a.jpg
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: > Radiator Question for Florida Resident <

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn of northport View Post
I bought aBrassworks it now is great but i did have to send it back as the lower drain was on wrong they corrected it,let them know it is for a 28 and make sure lower drain is correct. I had no problem with rest of the fit.Yes i know the long drain pipe is not the same as 29. Glenn of Northport
I don't have my 1929 parts book with me, but if you are talking about the water return pipe from the radiator to the side of the engine block, it should have the bend closer to the radiator and should be the same for all of the 1928's and 1929's, then in 1930 with the taller radiator, the bend is close to the center of the pipe.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
Dan Partain

Do you have Float O Motor motor mounts? Those can put the engine at an odd angle.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
Ronnie Lawson

Mr. Dan,
I do have the float-a-motor on the rear of the motor. The front motor mount is the regular model a motor mount and it is at the correct height. I pulled down the front motor mount springs to a 1/32 inch gap between the springs.
The angle on the ruler looks good.
0216111732.jpg
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #25
Earle

My '31 Roadster, with its original radiator, was overheating in 90 deg. temps last summer. The tubes, fins and leaking tanks were too far gone to spend repair and cleaning money on. So I went for the BrassWorks 6 FPI, dimpled version.

But - having heard stories here about some "fit problems" with BrassWorks, I gave them a call and talked with the owner. Outspoken, fair, up-front guy. And very knowledgible about his product, the materials and processes and the heat transfer technology behind it. He didn't have to remind me, but he did anyway, that hardly any two Model A's are exactly alike, and having a garranteed "one-size-fits-all" configuration is nearly impossible. especially radiator shells and the variations in mounting tab locations (as was my case).

So, he very generously offered to use my original radiator as a pattern to locate all of the shell and frame mounting holes and the filler neck (I pay the shipping). OR - I could FAX him sketches showing the dimensions from my radiator and he'd match them. And THEN - he said if I still have fit problems, return the radiator (I pay shipment) and he'll make the instructed corrections.

I sent him the sketches and he sent me a beautiful new radiator that fit perfectly. And he even accelerated delivery a bit to help me get ready for an up-coming car show.

The quality and performance is everything that they advertise - and more. No more overheating even in 95 deg. temps. I used a remote digital thermometer to "map" the temperatures on the old vs the new radiator at operating temp. and there was a BIG improvement and more evenly-spread temps on the new one. I could detect the completely blocked tubes in the old radiator.

How much more fair and professionally decent can a business get? I have to strongly recommend BrassWorks - but TALK with them! Don't just order a "standard" catalog number and expect a miracle!

Big buck$ but well worth it to me for all the other "no-compromise" expenses I've incurred over the years of restoration on my car. I ain't gonna start cutting corners now.

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: > Radiator Question for Florida Resident SIZE DOES MATTER <

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
SIZE DOES MATTER
I am restoring a 1929 (late 1929) Town Sedan. The radiator is 7/8 inch too low. I have contacted the manufacture and we are trying to determine why it is so low. See the attached picture.
I noted that the model a frame has changed the front cross member height at the radiator mounting surface. I have measured 3/8 inch between frames that can be used on a late 1929 body. Flush on a early 28-29 frame and 3/8 recessed on a late 29 frame. You can put a put a 30-31 frame under a 28-29 body. I also have the short water neck on the engine. My motor mount is drawn down to a 1/32 inch between front motor mount springs. I also have the 1/8 inch pad under the radiator mounting surface.

Attachment 33093

Attachment 33094
Does the hood fit well?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #27
Ronnie Lawson

Mr. Mike,
I have not tried the hood. The hood is not quite ready to install.
I will be trying to install it in about another week.
Ron
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
Fred
BANNED

Prepare for a LONG day !!!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
Mr. Mike,
I have not tried the hood. The hood is not quite ready to install.
I will be trying to install it in about another week.
Ron
The reason i ask is that the radiator seems a little far from the fan. If the radiator was brought forward it looks like from the picture that the tube would then line up.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Hello Paul, Did you install the 6 fins per inch or the 10 fins per inch radiator?
10 fins per inch. I am very happy with the radiator. It fit perfectly. My car has never been restored, so the Brassworks radiator must be made to stock specs. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat!
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote