Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #41
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: MMO use ?

Way back when I worked at the Chevron, El Segundo Refinery. When we went on an AV-Gas run the main changes in the Alkylation and Distillation Sections (where I worked) was to adjust for a lower vapor pressure (so the gas didn't boil at higher altitude), higher octane and less water (so it wouldn't freeze). All of the rest of the process is the same. Not sure how Av-Gas could get any more "Pure" than Motor-Gas.

BTW some of these "adjustments" are the same that we make for "winter" and "summer" (lower VP) motor-gas blends. Just more so for Av-Gas.

And of course there are different additives for Av-gas vs Motor-gas.

Not sure how I got from MMO to Av-Gas...

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #42
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Besides MMO smells good
I use MMO in my air tools, makes the garage smell good...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #43
Bruce Adams

Four ounces to a tank of gas faithfully. I feel it has contributed to eliminating my rusty tank problem.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Royce,
So how can any oil mixed into the fuel, which has to flow past the intake valve stem, not lubricate the valve?
It also gets sucked into the cylinder where it can help upper cylinder lubrication.
As far as the word "dry" I think you know what we mean. The gas sold today has less lubricating quality than the gas of the 60's. I'll keep adding whatever helps my engine work better.

BTW, any chance you were named after the famous Henry Royce?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #45
rogerkb1936

i am an a&p mechanic also. used texaco upper cyl lube in my 1947 ford wrecker to stop multipal episodes (7) of stuck valves in early "70s, have used MMO in my 31 roadster for 28 yrs, 33000 miles, and it purrs like a kitten. the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #46
tbirdtbird
BANNED

LOL and to think that Safewiz merely wanted to know how much to use !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #47
Jeff/Illinois

It definitely freed up a stuck valve in our flathead Ford. I use it in all the old cars it DOES work.

The Skelly station I grew up next door to, the two old time mechanics that ran it always used Pyroil fuel additive in their customer's cars. These two dated back to the late '20's, sold Chrysler cars out of their garage in the 30's. Anyway they were both VERY sharp mechanics really knew their stuff and swore by Pyroil for upper cylinder lubrication and healthy valves.

I don't know if Pyroil is still available but I have a hunch it was something like MMO. Came in a little metal juice size can, maybe 6 oz. or so.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #48
Art Newland

I was a repair tech for over 40 years, really doesn't matter for who or on what. I represented a lot of large corporations and had to deal one on one with a lot of scientific engineer factual types. Interesting fellows for sure, but usually seemed to think that everything existed in a perfect world and a lot of times didn't really grasp the facts of the real world. Whether you live in a trailer park or not, if MMO makes your car run better, then that is the fact. My 86 year old, less than perfect, Model A runs better with MMO in the fuel, particularly it idles better. In my world, it's "what ever works".
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #49
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I was a repair tech for over 40 years, really doesn't matter for who or on what. I represented a lot of large corporations and had to deal one on one with a lot of scientific engineer factual types. Interesting fellows for sure, but usually seemed to think that everything existed in a perfect world and a lot of times didn't really grasp the facts of the real world. Whether you live in a trailer park or not, if MMO makes your car run better, then that is the fact. My 86 year old, less than perfect, Model A runs better with MMO in the fuel, particularly it idles better. In my world, it's "what ever works".
Yep:: many lack in the street smarts dept
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote