Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2023, 06:52 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Stole this one!!! Another addition to my shop

I scored/Lucked into this yesterday for a mere $ 200. It runs and works 80%. With a little sweat equity, it will be up and running 100% (pic #1). I paid $400 for my other one with NO stand or any attachments and had to buy additional stuff for it (pic #2) SO this was a steal with the stand, boring bar and clamp, disc brake rotor attachment (that is worth $350 min o alone), multiple arbors and other accessories. I just wish I could luck up on a Sun 504 or some KR Wilson stuff like I did this one!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakelathe2.jpg (7.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg BrakeLathe.jpg (83.5 KB, 960 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 07-14-2023 at 07:10 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 07:44 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: Stole this one!!! Another addition to my shop

Did you get or already have the attachment to arc the shoes?
Old 07-14-2023, 07:56 AM   #3
jayvee34

Nice!! Also like your collection of Duval County tags in the background.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #4
deuce5wndw

Yes you got a deal! That is a good machine. I used one in the auto parts business back in the seventies. It had the small arbor or shaft you could change for VW and early
ford rear drums. Did you get that shaft with it?
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #5
uncle buck

Nice score! Did you get the small arbor to do the rear tapered drums?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
rockfla

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
@51504BAT
Still got my eye out for that, haven't been close to one YET!!!!

@JAYVEE34
Thank you, my Dad has been collecting "Duval" and Duval related tags all my life. I am still working, adding and upgrading the collection

@Deuce5window & Uncle Buck
Yes, I bought the small arbor for my first machine, I am thinking I will keep both and set one up for EFV8 Drums exclusively and the other for General use. Hopefully I can find a shoe grinder set up???
Old 07-14-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
Newc

Found my small arbor on 'Epay', outfit had several-do a search. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
STEVE O

You certainly did get a deal! These are my favorite machines. Have and still do use other brands but these in my opinion are the best. In the late 70s and early 80s I used one of these machines a lot. One of the few shops in the area with a machine. I will never forget a salesman came by selling bits for the drum attachment that he claimed would cut thru hard spots so we did not have to run the grinder attachment. The boss said leave the bit and we would try it and when he was back thru the area stop by. Well to our surprise it did work. Boss bought 2 bit. No more using the grinder attachment.
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
19Fordy

Congratulations, rockfla, on your fabulous find and purchase. Thanks for preserving the much needed flathead tools that are fading away. Wishing you continued good fortune and good luck with the equipping of your shop.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-03-2023 at 08:49 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #10
Flathead Fever

Am Ammco combo brake lathe is $10,000 to $14,000 new. They make beautiful cuts with a new bit, at a .002 cut setting, set to the slowest cutting setting but it takes forever to cut. You go work on the rest of your brake job while it's cutting. Each triangle bit has six cutting points, three on one side and then you can flip them for three more on the other side. I doubt you would ever where go through the bits at home. We had separate drum and rotor lathes at work for years until they bought an Ammco combo lathe. I think that is a 5/8" could be 11/16" (arbor that does the early Ford drums. I bought one on eBay for my used Van Norman brake lathe that came out a family friends' shop. I have never tried to turn an Early Ford rear drum on it yet. I bought a flywheel turning adapter for it too. Not as good of a finish as grinding, but I might try reducing the weight of a flywheel myself and then have the final surface ground flat with a non-directional finish.

The Air Resources Board (ARB) walked into the Riverside County, Palm Springs' phone company garage and shutdown the brake lathe. They do not want the iron dust coming off the lathe to become airborne. they wanted a lathe that would capture that dust. It has a tray for the metal filing to fall into but no way to capture the fine dust That s is how bad things are if you're trying to run a business in CA. After that they had to just buy new Chinses made rotors and drums. Makes me wonder if they are not running our government. In San Bernardino County we could still turn them. You could go to Home Depot in Palm Springs and buy Ironite that contains iron dust and throw it all over your yard to green it up but you can't turn a brake drum.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 07-15-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I scored/Lucked into this yesterday for a mere $ 200. It runs and works 80%. With a little sweat equity, it will be up and running 100% (pic #1). I paid $400 for my other one with NO stand or any attachments and had to buy additional stuff for it (pic #2) SO this was a steal with the stand, boring bar and clamp, disc brake rotor attachment (that is worth $350 min o alone), multiple arbors and other accessories. I just wish I could luck up on a Sun 504 or some KR Wilson stuff like I did this one!!!!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 12:40 PM   #12
KiWinUS

Great score Robert. I’m looking for one myself. I have the shoe arcing machine.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
NealinCA

I have an extra original chip tray if you need one, but shipping from CA to FL might be prohibitive.
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:15 PM   #14
325w

Could have had an Amoco with the shoe arch with it. No place for it an no friends wanted it either. It would have been free. Very well used however.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 07:58 PM   #15
Flathead Fever

This is the stand you want except that it takes up a lot of room, but no more than the lathe does. It looks real professional in your garage for something you will use once every five-years at home. They want over $1000.00 for a new stand. I have never seen used one for sale without the lathe. This is the same setup we had at work. All your adapters arranged by size so you can get the drum or rotor chucked up fast. You need all those different adapters too and the rubber chatter bands $$$, especially the smallest adapters to fit the tapered rear Ford drums on the small 5/8" arbor (I think it's 5/8" been awhile).

I have two Ammo shoe grinders. One came off of Craigslist and the other one an estate sale of all places for $50.00. Nobody knew what it was. Both need to be restored and they need new sanding drums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brae Lathe 2.jpg (14.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 07-14-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:28 PM   #16
rockfla

Flathead fever
I got the stand with it, as well as several of the anvils, the disc brake rotor attachment, boring bar and holder, tools and disc brake dampers
Old 07-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #17
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325w View Post
Could have had an Amoco with the shoe arch with it. No place for it an no friends wanted it either. It would have been free. Very well used however.
I bought a shoe arcing machine in nice condition and a Snap-on valve grinder given to me. My shop is small and both tools were basically in my way for more important and commonly used tools. I gave them away. No regrets. At my age I believe I will only need 1 more set of shoes done, if I am lucky! LOL
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:01 PM   #18
Flathead Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Flathead fever
I got the stand with it, as well as several of the anvils, the disc brake rotor attachment, boring bar and holder, tools and disc brake dampers

That was a deal. I had forgotten about those old metal chip trays. Our early one at the phone company garage had one of those metal trays. The chips would pile up and the moisture from the shops swamp cooler would rust the chips into a solid conglomerate that was hard to scrape out of that metal tray. They bought us a new combo lathe with the plastic tray after a one of the mechanics that had a tendency to overtighten "everything" broke the lathe. He tightened that big nut that clamps down the disc brake rotor cutting head so tight it cracked a big chunk along with the threads right out of the lathes' main casting, it wasn't repairable. The guy was too strong for his own good. Sometimes big guys do not make good mechanics for that reason, they break stuff. We were replacing a lot of turn signal switches back then. He used to pull steering wheels without a puller. They would end up looking like a dragster butterfly steering wheel, but he could pop them off in one yank. He came from a dealer and said, you have to be fast at a dealer to beat the flat rate and make money. He could change four belts on those truck engines faster than anybody I ever saw. He flipped them off with a screwdriver and back on with a remote starter switch. He never loosened a bolt on any of them. The dealer is the last place you ever what to take a vehicle to be repaired.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #19
Preciousmetalsmotors

Nice Score !!!
Preciousmetalsmotors is offline   Reply With Quote