Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #361
Zeke3

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Thanks Chris, great pictures. I don't know about you guys, but looking under the hood of a new Mustang just doesn't do much for me regardless of how many gazillion horsepower it has.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #362
flatford8

Awesome job on your truck !!….You’ve kept up with a very interesting thread!!…I love your friends black Coupe!!…… Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #363
sugarmaker

Flatford8,
Thanks!
Working the low wood in the shop today.
Trying to stay focused on something to take mind mind off old Ford trucks that need new homes!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #364
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
Well after a full day of working with wood I feel better.
Had to make a decision of the Other Ford project I was looking at. I choose to pass on it as it did not have a title and was a huge project. The scope was a shell of a 41 Ford truck pickup that the cab had been chopped 3 inches and the cab lengthened 5 inches. But the work was started not completed. I felt I should work on completing the 32 project at this time. It will require funds and time to get the 32 on the road again.
So we have rain today and I will work in the shop on installing the wood I cut and coated yesterday. Bare with me as I drag you through more shop stuff too!

The 32 waits like a good truck should. I need to get the transmission on to the engine stand for cleaning soon. It is really coated with a protective layer.
I Need to find out about these PTO universal joints and look into the hydraulic pump system too. As usual many moves to make.

Some one was asking me about this type of rear end in the 32. It is different that what is in more conventional rear ends. Any tips on what I should do to check it out?? Fluids?

Also any good suggestions on getting the water pump fan and pulley assembly apart/off??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 08-10-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #365
DavidG

Chris,

The fan and its pulley have a tapered fit on the end of the pump shaft with a woodruff key to prevent side movement. Once that is pulled, all that is left holding the shaft in the pump housing is the friction of the packing inside the zinc packing nut. That's threaded on the inside of the back portion where it attaches to the threaded end of the shaft bushing which is pressed into the casting. Once the packing nut is loose the shaft should be readily removable from the impeller end. In the front of the pump housing are a bearing and a couple of felt grease retainer washers held in place with steel cup washers that are press fits and easily removable. Except for the pump housing casting and pump shaft, all of the pump components are common with Model A water pumps and once again Snyder's can provide what you need.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #366
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks! At this time I have not removed the pulley from the tapered shaft. Seems like its been on there 90 years!
Worried about supporting the pulley/ fan assembly and not damaging it as I try to break that taper loose. Can any heat be applied around the pulley base??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #367
sugarmaker

Folks,
A picture of the tail light and bracket. This will be checked out and mounted to the rear frame rail, drivers side.

Not a great pictur I will try to get some better shots of this.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #368
DavidG

Likely heat would help by expanding the fan hub, although I haven't found that necessary. Try removing the castle nut on the end of the shaft and replace it with a hex nut to protect the threads. Have someone hold on to the fan blades while you tap on the end of the shaft, but do it over a table or work bench as if and when it lets go the pump weighs enough to a number on your toes.

Your fan has been on there for no more than 88 years as it was replaced sometime after late 1933 when the four-bladed four cylinder fan was released. When built, the truck's fan had two blades.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #369
DavidG

I can't tell for sure if the tail light lens is flat or convex. Most '32s were built with a flat lens, but a couple of states required a so-called reflex lens which is slightly convex. Either way the lamp looks to be the original.

The license plate bracket is original, but the type normally used on passenger cars with the license plate above the lamp. The license bracket for most commercial vehicles and big trucks is slightly different and was used with the lamp rotated 180 degrees with the license plate lamp facing down and the plate mounted below the lamp to avoid interfering with the vehicle's body. That lamp position shows up (barely) in the Ford archives photo of a 131" chassis that I posted earlier in this thread.

Judging from your earlier photos, your lamp was evidently center-mounted rather than on the left side.

Last edited by DavidG; 08-10-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:05 AM   #370
Tinker

Not sure what pto parts you are looking for. Don't ask me why it is red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.jpg (67.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4885.jpg (46.4 KB, 31 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #371
sugarmaker

David, Tinker, Folks,

I will try that again on the fan assembly. i forgot it was a two blade original. I stand corrected!

Ok The tail light I would call it flat lens? I have a mounting position on the rear cross member that is slightly towards driver side of center. I will try to get picture of that area. and how I think the rear tail light may have been mounted.

Now this steel bracket on the back may have been able to be turned around and mounted different? I did not look at that yet? But it looks to be factory made and original.

Also this turn signal indicator was attached in the back and must have been installed at the same time as the front fender signals. Someone thought these add on directional lights may have all came from Western Auto store? They so much remind me of J.C. Whitney stuff when I was a kid!

The PTO: Thank you for the pictures! As I begin to clean up the transmission I may get foxy and remove this to just check it out, clean and reseal it to the transmission case.
I dont even know what I need yet on the PTO/ hyrdaulic dump system? But the small "U" joints have seen better days, and will need a good look at them for sure. The pump, and ram, well those are for another day too.

Also Working with a Ford Barn Member on headlights that may be just what this truck needs! Great folks on here for sure!

The shop has me in a head lock right now.

On the 32 engine status. The good news is I have a potential of three other B engines that could be spares and or maybe a good running engine in the mix. More on that later too!

Thanks for checking in on me.
Hope I am not being a pest on this thread? You guys are really helping me to stay focused and so many helpful suggestions as I learn about 32 Ford trucks.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #372
Mart

No you're not being a pest at all.
It's very interesting to follow the progress on the truck and quite refreshing to see that this is being slotted in amongst other interesting work and interests.
Oh by the way, it sounds like you made a good call in avoiding that hacked up later truck. Close to stock and as complete as possible is the way to buy 'em.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #373
STEVE O

No pest at all! Love all your posts and great detailed pictures. I get up every morning, check the obituaries to make sure I'm not in it (my wife's asks why I check the obituaries and I tell her if I'm in it I'm not going to work!) and then look forward to all your posts!
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #374
51504bat

I'm a big truck guy at heart even though I now only have a '39 P/U. Still miss the '40 1 1/2 tons I sold to make way for the p/u. Love your threads about the dump, the tractors, and shop as well. Thanks for all the photos and updates.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #375
DavidG

Chris,

I think that given that aftermarket turn signal indicator, your tail lamp, which appears to be 100% original, was relocated from its original position on the left side to the center. Even though the tail lamp bracket looks 'factory', it may not have been Ford 'factory' as the diagonal two hole pattern is inconsistent with how they normally attached parts back then. But I'm not suggesting that you relocate it if you are planning on making that existing turn signal set up operable. Having the turn signal indicator anywhere other than more or less in the center of the vehicle would be an 'unusual' location choice.

Snyder's have the correct bracket for the license plate bracket to replace the passenger car license plate bracket that somehow ended up on your truck, if you wish. It is a carryover Model A part.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #376
Bob C

The back of your frame may have been cut off when the dump box was mounted which was not uncommon. If it was the mounting holes for the original tail light bracket would be gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mq676Pa.jpg (269.9 KB, 47 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #377
DavidG

Good spotting! It looks like 12-15 inches were removed and in the process the rear-mounted spare tire carrier was lost, hence the need for a side-mounted spare.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #378
sugarmaker

Ok now you guys are scaring me. Wonderful that you are so into the details of these to see the frame was cut off! I never would have realized that.
I will keep trying to update this thread as the truck progresses. Thanks for the positive comments too!
Went tractor pulling tonight at Warren County Fair. Got rained out before we pulled. Good friends, Good fair food!

The tail light pictures/ ideas??

Maybe it was here?

Or here?

here?

the back

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #379
cmbrucew

Hi Chris
Get anything done over the weekend?
Bruce
Old 08-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #380
35fordtn

I got to meet Chris and his wife yesterday. What a fine gentleman he is!
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote