Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Chuck Dempsey

Default Interesting Advertisement - Oct '31

Sounds like a dealer in Prescott, AZ is trying to clean out his stock in time for the '32 models to arrived. Link is - https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...g=4417,1114483
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
holdover

Default Re: Interesting Advertisement - Oct '31

I'll take one of each at those prices, heck I'll take is whole inventory!!

don't we wish... But honestly when I was a teenager in the early 60s you could buy a nice running original A for between 50-100, like now I didn't have much extra money....
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Chuck,

1931 Newspaper ..... Thanks for sharing.

Extremely interesting.

If one clicks or double clicks, one can see the varying 1931 prices below for different models of Model As.

In clicking further, the dinner at the Hotel for $1.25 a plate looked good ..... ground beef at the store for (15) cents a pound.

The 110 pound Sheriff's wife story about the charging lynch mob at the county jail was interesting .... she told the charging mob, "You may succeed, but over my dead body!" .... the mob dispersed ..... brave & tough little lady was being awarded a medal.

Others will now get curious to find other things to look for in your 1931 newspaper.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

I was looking at the classifieds, I saw nearly all the ads for apartments or houses to rent came furnished. Does furnished mean tables chairs couches sorta thing like nowadays or did that just mean major appliances (what major appliances existed back then...)?
Old 10-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Sea,

My guess is, in 1931, customs and everything else varied from town to town, especially in rural areas. Rural electrification did not occur in many areas until after WWII.

There were several U. S. acquired areas outside of the 13 Original Colonies where many seniors born in North America did not speak or understand English in 1931.

Difficult to imagine today with media and TV's; but the tooth fairy and trick or treat did not exist in every part of every State in 1931. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Chuck Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Chuck,

1931 Newspaper ..... Thanks for sharing.

Extremely interesting.
If one clicks or double clicks, one can see the varying 1931 prices below for different models of Model As.
In clicking further, the dinner at the Hotel for $1.25 a plate looked good ..... ground beef at the store for (15) cents a pound.
The 110 pound Sheriff's wife story about the charging lynch mob at the county jail was interesting .... she told the charging mob, "You may succeed, but over my dead body!" .... the mob dispersed ..... brave & tough little lady was being awarded a medal.
Others will now get curious to find other things to look for in your 1931 newspaper.
You can find a LOT of interesting stuff on Google's Newspaper archive page. https://news.google.com/newspapers They don't have every paper ever printed, but try looking for your parents and aunts/uncles names. You never know what you will find.
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Sea,

There were several U. S. acquired areas outside of the 13 Original Colonies where many seniors born in North America did not speak or understand English in 1931.

Difficult to imagine today with media and TV's; but the tooth fairy and trick or treat did not exist in every part of every State in 1931. LOL
Ahh I hadn't thought of that...

I knew many places even didnt have electricity till the 50's and more rural areas had no paved roads (some still arent near me).
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
swo4rd

the prices are a bit toasty for an end of the depression...but look at the article on the right about ending the kick off in football...the suicide mission.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
DougVieyra

I hope at least some of you did not just stop to look at the FORD advertisement. If you scroll around the newspaper you can also find some very interesting items. For example I hope no one missed reading the exciting news from SHOPPING SALLY's column. It has some really HOT stuff !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
DougVieyra

So what I am hearing (SeaSlug, post #7) is that some of you have both electricity AND paved roads . . . .

I have GOT to leave the ranch and see what the 'outside world' has come to!
Not that I haven't heard of them, I even seen pictures of 'em - I just havn't experienced either first hand.

I had the local FORD DEALER, Harvey Harper, deliver my '28 Phaeton in '29, so I expect that a lot has happened / changed since my last time to town.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote