Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #41
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Flywheel Housing Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Henry was working with new parts !

I've wondered about checking in the car, and a light bulb justed turned on !! Thanks Herm

........................the engine is mounted by the housing .................. Duh
still can be done.easy with floatamotor's, a little harder with stock mounts..fact is if your going after clutch chatter and want to check the housing yard the engine..on heavy trucks it's way easier to pull the trans than engine...slide a jack and block under the pan,all modern stuff use a float a motor type mount.pretty common when doing a clutch..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #42
daren007

Yes I realize Henry was working with new parts but I sometimes wonder if we are sciencing some things too far. Example the volume's have been written on ignition timing. Henry made it simple and it works.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:38 AM   #43
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Herm I follow your thinking. Just how far out would you have to be to have the problems you are talking about. If you get 9, 12, and 3 within one, two thousands you are going to have to leave it up to the clutch housing to finish the rest. You would be chasing your tail. I find it hard to believe Henry went through this procedure on any of his engines...Time is money.
I Agree, Daren, But Henry, had what ever he chose for a gasket thickness, a new block, flywheel housing, and a new Bell housing, and that might have came out with using the .010 shims, at that point, in time.

Ok, if you get 9 & 3, with in .002, or even Zero, that is good. But I don't care what 12 is at this time, because we are doing, only 9 & 3.

So with your 9 & 3 done, set at .002, or a new Zero, Find out what your 12, & 6 is, say the 12 is .Zero, and the 6 is 15, you have to bring the top, to match, the bottom. Now, you will add, or subtract an equal amount of shims, .003's, .002's, and .001's to make the bottom to match, the top.

So now you have 4 equal points to bolt the Bell housing to, and it is all square.

I am probably not explaining, it very well.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #44
daren007

A very good explanation. Thanks. Daren
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote