Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
rockfla

Default Re: Electrical questions from an Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hey, rock .....Are you sure that you have the starter cable ...AND the NEG Battery cables on the CORRECT solenoid posts? You sure you don't have them swapped, side for side?

If you DO have the two big cables on the CORRECT posts (it matters), when you measure voltage from the SMALL post to GROUND, your meter should show 6v~.

If you have the two big cables wired to the WRONG solenoid posts, and you measure voltage between the SMALL post and GROUND, your meter should read 0.0v (ZERO volts). But what do I know? DD

As far as I know it is......here is how the solenoid is wired!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (2).jpg (25.9 KB, 42 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #22
marko39

Sounds like the same problem I had with my 39. I found I had the wrong solenoid. There is one for a different make that looks the same as the ford one but needs power instead of ground to energize. These types use a 2 wire starter button.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
As far as I know it is......here is how the solenoid is wired!!!

Your sketch looks correct....IF the two big cables are wired to the appropriate posts on solenoid. If the two big wires DO NOT go to the correct posts, it ain;t gonna work.

Please go measure for VOLTAGE between the SMALL center post, and GROUND. If you see 6v, you're good. If you see 0 volts, the two big wires are wired backwards. Let's verify that THIS is correct before going any further. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Your sketch looks correct....IF the two big cables are wired to the appropriate posts on solenoid. If the two big wires DO NOT go to the correct posts, it ain;t gonna work.

Please go measure for VOLTAGE between the SMALL center post, and GROUND. If you see 6v, you're good. If you see 0 volts, the two big wires are wired backwards. Let's verify that THIS is correct before going any further. DD
I'll check it tonight when I get home from work. I believe I checked that yesterday and it was 0.00 but I will check it again!!!! AGAIN not sure IF running the jeep for 30 or so seconds on a negative ground would have damaged the solenoid BUT again is supposedly ran that way!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:01 PM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I'll check it tonight when I get home from work. I believe I checked that yesterday and it was 0.00 but I will check it again!!!! AGAIN not sure IF running the jeep for 30 or so seconds on a negative ground would have damaged the solenoid BUT again is supposedly ran that way!!!!!
I can't imagine any way that reversing polarity could even begin to damage a solenoid. That solenoid is just a magnetically-activated on/off switch.

C'mon man.....cut class! Take the rest of the day off. Like Cheech & Chong .....tell the boss you have to REE-PAIR the Jeep! Man, we've gott'a get this thing to crankin'! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #26
cas3

Marco39 touched on the subject, some solenoids are triggered by ground, and some are triggered by power. since it is most likely not the original solenoid, i would test things with a jumper wire to see what it takes to make it move. you will hear it when the coil inside pulls the contacts together
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #27
tubman

I agree with "cas3". The first thing to do is to determine if you have the proper solenoid for your car.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, something is not right, as far as original goes. There are lots of ways to wire things up using various part combinations. But the further you move for the original parts and configuration the more difficult things become unless you really understand what your doing. My suggestion would be to return it to a stock configuration and make life easier! It is a very simple electric system, if it's not modified by someone not understanding what their doing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #29
V8COOPMAN

rock .....This diagram indicates essentially what you SHOULD have, including the POS GROUND set-up. What this drawing DOES NOT necessarily indicate is the PROPER post to wire the CORRECT corresponding large cable to. Wondering if the two large poles on your solenoid might be marked in any way? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 03-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Some are marked. Think it is normally battery side toward the center of the car and starter on the outside. Some photos would help. What does your solenoid look like? All metal or black plastic?
Old 03-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #31
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Just went out and checked a couple of solenoids, they were both marked for BAT side. Your solenoid should look something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sol 3.jpg (32.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Sol 2.jpg (34.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Sol 1.jpg (36.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

This is how the solenoid is wired internally (an original style). Making a hot connection from the center post of the solenoid to the battery should not work at all, so I would guess the solenoid is not the correct one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter Sol Diagram.jpg (5.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #33
rotorwrench

There are two types of single control terminal relays. JSeery has explained the Ford type but there are also ones that have no internal connection of the small single terminal to the power side large terminal (Bat). These types have an internal connection of the relay coil to the body of the relay which is grounded when installed on the car. This type has to have a switched power connection to the small terminal in order to energize the relay. This type can have the battery connection and starter connection either way on the large terminals and still function. Ford did NOT use this type. The best way to check either type is with a multi-meter set to read ohms resistance. A volt meter or test light would only work on the Ford type relay when properly connected in the circuit.

Also keep in mind that a relay operating coil has it's own resistance value which is generally a lower value on relays that are for intermittent service like a starter relay since it has larger gauge coil wire with less number of wire turns in the coil. Continuous service relays generally have a higher value of resistance in the operating coil due to smaller gauge wire and a lot more turns of wire in the make up of the coil. This relay type is also known as a holding relay and are more commonly used as a battery relay where they are switched on all the time during operation of the battery system.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote