Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
mercman from oz

Default Saving The 1939 Mercury Coupe From The Rust Lagoon

Interesting Video to watch :- Saving The 1939 Mercury Coupe From The Rust Lagoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlOFmk7KdIo
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
GaryU.

Default Re: Saving The 1939 Mercury Coupe From The Rust Lagoon

Watched this a few days ago, a lot of effort for what they got. Seems like it will be a parts car as it is way too far gone.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
19Fordy

Got to admire the tenacity and desire to "save" old vehicles.
However, Gary U is correct.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Metal shapers like the challenge of stuff like this. When things are rare as hens teeth then you take what you can get. The real popular cars like the 32 through 34 Fords are regularly rebuilt after being in a condition like this. The amount of original stuff is finite and some folks just don't do reproduction bodies.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
RalphM

I love it!
Wish I had the time and resources to save that one.

P.S. I’d take that Chevelle too! I had a 66 convertible in High School.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Darrell S

This is what happens when things are saved to long in anticipation of making big bucks.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
34pickup

Marginal at best. Probably not one part on it usable as is. Sometimes you are just too late to save them.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here are some examples of "saved" cars (what they started with). There are some build threads on the HAMB that are really unbelievable. There is one gentleman that fabricates all the body panels by hand. Some of their metal skills are just outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first341.jpg (85.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (56.0 KB, 133 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Here are some examples of "saved" cars (what they started with). There are some build threads on the HAMB that are really unbelievable. There is one gentleman that fabricates all the body panels by hand. Some of their metal skills are just outstanding.

Agree with you, JS. Wish I had been born with half of what some of those guys are able to do with sheet metal, former/shapers, and a welder!! I think when those skills were handed out, I was AWOL!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Been a fan of Iron Trap Garage for quit awhile. I like to build things and at 86 building a 27 T track roadster with 258 flathead for antique racing. Should be fun, If I can finish it. Take care Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
flatford8

I like Irontrap Garages videos too.. That’s a talented young man right there.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #12
mercman from oz

Next Installment :-

Cleaning The Grossest Barn Find Ever - The 1939 Mercury Coupe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEfSzl25jcY
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
Terranova

The merc is rough. Like the other current frame off project.
Matt seems like a good guy.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #14
GaryU.

Funniest thing was the spare tire full of swamp water, thought it would never drain. The dash gauges and the column covers are in my mind like art.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
39portlander

I have been to enough car shows over the years and guys with these before and after photo books showing what is now parked @ your local cruise nite or show is very impressive.

That car is about what most I have seen started out as, there are some extremely talented folks among us, that have loads of ambition 1939 first year for a Merc, you bet yah!
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #16
IronTrap

Thanks for the share guys! This car has sat in this spot since the 60's and many of my older friends have been after the car their entire lives! At this point many of them are too old to take it on and I have enough piss and vinegar in me to give it a go! Surprisngly the car 6" up is SUPER SOLID. I look at it this way.. it's easy to make flat panels like floor pans and lower patches. It's the stuff like tops of fenders/front nose area, etc. that is really challenging and all of that on this car is very solid.

I know this is a restoration based forum, but I think this car is a good candidate for an early style Custom. I think mother nature has done part of the work of removing the floor to channel and section it. Haha. I plan to document taking this car through the entire process and try and show the younger guys and beginners with a low budget what can be done with enough time and energy.

Much like any early Ford that has a cult following; the 39-40 Mercury is a car many lust after and can't afford. This one deserves to me put back on the road I think.

I am 100% new to these early Mercury's so I really need to do some research to learn what to look for part number wise and such at flea markets and such. I'd like to find a few things I'm missing or are really bad that I'd like to save time making from scratch.

I plan to brace the body and pull it from the frame after Hershey. I hope to find myself an affordable 39-40 Mercury frame to start with as I assume this one is toast underneath where it was sitting in the mud.

Thanks for all of the support! I'm trying to keep the hobby alive and bring exposure to the younger crowd through Youtube as it has become modern day TV for most.

-Matt/ITG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39x2.jpg (91.7 KB, 407 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #17
tubman

Good job! I was hoping you'd keep this rather than sell it. I, for one would like to see what you can do with it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #18
V8 Bob

Really great videos Matt. Keep up the good work, and best of luck with the Merc!
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #19
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTrap View Post

Thanks for the share guys! This car has sat in this spot since the 60's and many of my older friends have been after the car their entire lives! At this point many of them are too old to take it on and I have enough piss and vinegar in me to give it a go! Surprisngly the car 6" up is SUPER SOLID. I look at it this way.. it's easy to make flat panels like floor pans and lower patches. It's the stuff like tops of fenders/front nose area, etc. that is really challenging and all of that on this car is very solid.

I know this is a restoration based forum, but I think this car is a good candidate for an early style Custom. I think mother nature has done part of the work of removing the floor to channel and section it. Haha. I plan to document taking this car through the entire process and try and show the younger guys and beginners with a low budget what can be done with enough time and energy.

Much like any early Ford that has a cult following; the 39-40 Mercury is a car many lust after and can't afford. This one deserves to me put back on the road I think.

I am 100% new to these early Mercury's so I really need to do some research to learn what to look for part number wise and such at flea markets and such. I'd like to find a few things I'm missing or are really bad that I'd like to save time making from scratch.

I plan to brace the body and pull it from the frame after Hershey. I hope to find myself an affordable 39-40 Mercury frame to start with as I assume this one is toast underneath where it was sitting in the mud.

Thanks for all of the support! I'm trying to keep the hobby alive and bring exposure to the younger crowd through Youtube as it has become modern day TV for most.

-Matt/ITG
I've followed your videos. I'm currently undergoing a restoration of a 1940 standard Tudor. My frame is toast but my floor pan isn't as bad as the '39 Sedan project you are working on now. I will have to replace the full front floor and rockers though. Keep us posted on your project as it moves along.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 AM   #20
mercman from oz

1939 Mercury Sedan Coupe, Model 72, 1 of 8254 produced. This recent import now resides in Australia. Ford Australia only offered one Mercury body style, the 4-door Sedan and only for the years 1939 to 1948. After 1948, no Mercurys were never offered again. Any Mercury in Australia newer than 1948 has been a special import.