Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2021, 05:10 AM   #21
shew01

Default Re: Repairing radiator puncture

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Follow up: local radiator shop put it under water and detected two additional leaks. They soldered those up, tack welded repairs where the frame had rusted, and gave it a fresh coat of paint. $160

You are fortunate to find a radiator shop that actually does repairs. Radiator shops around here just want to replace with a new radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #22
Afordman31

I just finished soldering one of mine. My Dad taught me to use Muriatic Acid the kind that you can clean pools with. He gave me a couple of zinc canning jar lids that you cut up small little pieces and put in the small amount of acid that you will use to clean the spot where the leak is. The zinc will bubble in the acid so you keep adding small pieces until the bubbles subside. I used a knife, sand paper, small wire brushes to get it as clean as I could then used the mixture of acid with a acid brush to clean the area. I use flux and solder that you would use to solder copper plumbing pipes. As stated do not heat excessively as to not unsolder other areas. I use a Bernzomatic propane torch. I have unsoldered the tank tops off a couple of radiators in the past so that I could clean out the tubes, then soldered the tops back on. It is all learning experiance! Also stay down wind of the acid!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #23
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afordman31 View Post
I just finished soldering one of mine. My Dad taught me to use Muriatic Acid the kind that you can clean pools with. He gave me a couple of zinc canning jar lids that you cut up small little pieces and put in the small amount of acid that you will use to clean the spot where the leak is. The zinc will bubble in the acid so you keep adding small pieces until the bubbles subside. I used a knife, sand paper, small wire brushes to get it as clean as I could then used the mixture of acid with a acid brush to clean the area. I use flux and solder that you would use to solder copper plumbing pipes. As stated do not heat excessively as to not unsolder other areas. I use a Bernzomatic propane torch. I have unsoldered the tank tops off a couple of radiators in the past so that I could clean out the tubes, then soldered the tops back on. It is all learning experiance! Also stay down wind of the acid!
I do not see how this method would clean the copper tubes. What you end up with after adding zinc until the bubbles stop is Zinc Chloride. Muriatic acid (Hydrochloric acid) plus Zinc yields Zinc Chloride and hydrogen gas. What is the purpose of the Zinc, when the acid will do the cleaning... I don't believe Zinc Chloride will clean the copper, or is my Chemistry training missing something?
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #24
Afordman31

Old school technology, but worked for me! No leaks when finished!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #25
alexiskai

Zinc chloride is a form of liquid flux, right? So it's not cleaning the area so much as assisting the soldering.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #26
Tinbasher

A trick. When pressure testing a rad. Us a motorcycle tube and cut it in the centre. Then take the two ends and attach it to the upper and lower tubes. Put a little air pressure about 3 pounds and do a water check. Simple and works well. Used it many times fixing rads for guys.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
19Fordy

You were treated fairly by the radiator shop. Well worth it.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote