Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
qzjrd5

Default '32 Steering gear - Easy questions

My steering gear is leaking lube badly on my Tudor. But the steering feels pretty decent. I'd like to just replace the gaskets and give it a look inside. I pulled the steering out of the car, and pulled off the four nuts of the sector shaft housing.

Is there any trick in removing the sector shaft housing itself? I don't want to beat on it, but it doesn't seem to wanna budge. Also - what is the screw thingy shown below?

Also - whats the method in removing the steering wheel? I pulled the nut, and I know there is a key and keyway, but there is no adaptor for a typcial steering wheel removal tool.

Thanks for your help!
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering_gear_1.jpg (75.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg steering_wheel_1.jpg (55.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
334charlie

Default Re: '32 Steering gear - Easy questions

That screw is an adjustment eccentric . you can make a knocker for the end of the end steering shaft with a nut and a bolt hold the wheel bye the hub and hit the knocker it will release the taper .don't kill it.
334charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Flathead Fever

[

Also - whats the method in removing the steering wheel? I pulled the nut, and I know there is a key and keyway, but there is no adaptor for a typcial steering wheel removal tool.

Thanks for your help!
Mike[/QUOTE]

I worked at fleet utility garage that was built back in 1950. One day I found some obsolete tools hidden in an attic crawl space. One of the items was this vintage Snap-On steering wheel puller kit. The latest vehicle listed in the instructions is 1947. This is one super heavy duty quality tool, it looks like somebody took a dropped Ford axle and made a steering wheel puller out of it (some of the attachments are missing from the kit). Years later when my grandfather died I found another one of these pullers in his tool box. I have never used either one but I‘m sure they will easily yank an early Ford steering wheel right off. I would be a little worried about the fork cracking the old bakelite. My grandfather’s puller had pieces of rubber hoses slipped on the fork to protect the wheel. According to the instructions grandpa’s puller with the big fork is setup to pull an early Ford wheel.

According to the instructions the main puller is part number CG-60-H. Neither one of my pullers have this part number on them. One has “Tool NO CO-630 on the main forging and the other one has CG-60-I. The handle on both of them has part number CG60. The larger fork for the early Fords is stamped part number CG-60-3. I bet these show up on ebay or swap meets and nobody has a clue what they are for.

I have seen several people make their own pullers.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel 002.jpg (536.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 001.jpg (496.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 004.jpg (550.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (541.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 005.jpg (477.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 006.jpg (443.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 007.jpg (465.6 KB, 13 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
PeteVS

Removing the steering wheel: I drilled and tapped two 5/16-18 holes in the metal portion of the hub and used a common steering wheel puller. No one will ever see the holes.
As far as taking the box apart and putting it together again, you'll want to get hold of a '32 "service bulletin" book, commonly available as a reprint and it'll set you straight. That eccentric screw doesn't come out as I recall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32wheel01.jpg (49.5 KB, 9 views)