Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2023, 09:34 AM   #1
Woodie1

Default 1939 Ignition Switch

Should the 1939 Ignition switch be able to move to the on position without wiggling & persuading the key? It doesn't seem normal to have to coax the key into position.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1939 Ignition Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
Should the 1939 Ignition switch be able to move to the on position without wiggling & persuading the key? It doesn't seem normal to have to coax the key into position.
Yes it should move smoothly. Be certain the wheel is not "pressed" against the lock.

Still, from what you describe, it sounds as if the key is worn badly and / or the lock is worn.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:08 AM   #3
Woodie1

I know there are times when the key will turn if I move the whel until it locks in but not always.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:22 AM   #4
Woodie1

I have another thought Kube. Is it possible that the steering column tube is slightly out of position in the steering drop? This could make it harder for the pin to go into the collar on the steering shaft. Just wondering.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:53 AM   #5
Terry,OH

Yes it is possible for the steering column tube to rotate very slightly in the column drop. The clamping retaining bolt passes through a second hole (sideways) in the tube and does not let the tube rotate much at all. Usually the hang up is slight rust or a scar on the lock bolt or the ID of the drop. The end of the lock bolt has a spring loaded second bolt that should compress when it meets the lock collar on the inner steering column and when the alignment of the inner column and the lock bolt are correct the spring loaded bolt will pop into the lock collar. I would suggest removing the lock cylinder and lube with very light penetrating oil to get things moving properly. When that is done clean out the penetrating oil and lube with dry graphite. If you can't get it to move properly the drop will have to be disassembled to clean and find any other problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03151.jpg (16.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03152.jpg (18.1 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 06-08-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
petehoovie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Yes it is possible for the steering column tube to rotate very slightly in the column drop. The clamping retaining bolt passes through a second hole (sideways) in the tube and does not let the tube rotate much at all. Usually the hang up is slight rust or a scar on the lock bolt or the ID of the drop. The end of the lock bolt has a spring loaded second bolt that should compress when it meets the lock collar on the inner steering column and when the alignment of the inner column and the lock bolt are correct the spring loaded bolt will pop into the lock collar. I would suggest removing the lock cylinder and lube with very light penetrating oil to get things moving properly. When that is done clean out the penetrating oil and lube with dry graphite. If you can't get it to move properly the drop will have to be disassembled to clean and find any other problem.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote