Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2021, 02:13 AM   #1
Lightman7

Question Information/Opinion wanted on a specific Model A

Hi All,

Newbie here. First Post. I fully expect to get a lot of "use the search" and "that's been discussed a million times" but since this involves a specific Model A, I'm posting this anyway.

Backstory:

I have really liked the Model A since I was a boy, but not enough to memorize stats, etc. I just thought it was a great looking car from a time when driving was an adventure. My dad passed on when I was 8, and I didn't know until decades later when I came across these pictures that his first car was a Model A. Now I realize I have the space for one, and although I haven't really wrenched since my college days, it would be great to have something I could work on myself again.

SO . . .

Here is my dad's Model A, these are the only pictures I have. What I THINK I know about it (feel free to tell me how wrong I am):

- 1930 Model A Cabriolet, would have been 9ish years old when purchased.

- Dad is 16, pictures taken Nov-Feb timeframe in 39/40 due to the snow in the pictures. Although I'm considering he might have bought it before he turned 16 in April of 39 due to the lower license plate numbering. In that case the picture would be Jan/Febish of 39. But since it is customized I'm leaning more toward later in the year.

- I think its very telling that at a time when used model As were plentiful, he went with a cabriolet instead of a roadster.

- Picture taken in Essex County, NJ as you can tell from the license plate.

- Spare on rear - don't know if this was standard and if side mounts were the option or vice versa.

- I have no idea what factory color exterior/interior combinations were, or if you could get any/any.

- Color unknown but probably black. Might be Washington Blue, but I have no way of knowing.

- Interior and top look to be a cream color, wheels look wheat, rumble seat probably brown.

- Modified with initials on radiator (I shudder to think how they are attached), aftermarket horns, antennae which probably means there is a radio in it, third headlight which I assume might utilize the original horn wiring.

- I love the fact that the tires are mismatched and the spare is bald.

- License plate would have been bright orange lettering on black background.

- My only mechanical knowledge of this era is a friends 1915 Model T Brassy Speedster. And driveline looks different for a Model A.

So I think in the next year or so I might be in the market. I wouldn't want a concourse vehicle, I would want to make it something my 16 year old dad would have wanted (higher compression heads, overdrive, etc.). And maybe try and re-create the car in the picture. I do realize there were only about 25K 1930 Cabriolets made, and side mount spares appear more common, so my choices are going to be limited.

My question for you is: What can you tell/correct me about this particular Model A, what the horns might be, what the likely radio might have ben, what the third headlight likely was, etc..

And is there a way to tell from the chassis number what color it was when it rolled out of the factory?

I Look forward to interaction on this forum.

Thanks for any information!

Jim

https://photos.app.goo.gl/boXz7F2i754oCPke9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eNLjkYxrYjEhXP1p9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1yckigFr3LKcoqJx9

Last edited by Lightman7; 06-15-2021 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Trying to get pics to post
Lightman7 is offline   Reply With Quote