Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Are Mustangs still collectible?

I think coupe values have dropped significantly. convertibles and fastbacks have done well.

as mentioned- 6 cylinders are the bargain out their. all good cars, but when it comes to collecting and value, has to have a v-8.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #22
Aarongriffey

A few years ago I changed a 6 cylinder mustang over to 5 bolt rear end and front hubs. Also changed to V8 steering all in anticipation of changing to a V8 motor and transmission.
I am nearly finished with the rebuild on a 302 and will have him drive it to my place to change engine and transmission in the next month or so.
So are you guys that know more about mustangs saying the 6 cylinder chassis is not strong enough for a 302?
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop up View Post
Early mustangs are awesome and raced and played with them as a youth. As said up grading them from a 6cy to a v8 requires many upgrades. The biggest is the brakes,springs and hubs as the 6 cy was a 4 lug . I would just hop up what you have with speed equipment. A good set of heads ,cam and a intake will wake that 289 up. I am assuming you have a c code 289 motor or maybe a A code 231hp . The K code motor would make it a valuable car and fun to drive with the solid cam and 271 HP. Those improvement on your C code would liven her up and a Paxton blower would do it as well.
While it maybe true there is no replacement for displacement and Fear starts with FE.
I'm picking up a nice 351W soon from a guy who is giving it to me. It's an early 1970's 351. I installed an aluminum 4 barrel intake, 4 barrel carburetor and long tube headers with dual exhaust years ago on my 289 C code.

I'm going to do the front power disc brake upgrade this fall. Someday I'll build that 351 as a nice warmed up street engine and install it. I'm having too much fun with this car and I supposed I'll just continue to drive and build to suit my fancy. It's not a rare model so there's not much to lose in upgrading it.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #24
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
A few years ago I changed a 6 cylinder mustang over to 5 bolt rear end and front hubs. Also changed to V8 steering all in anticipation of changing to a V8 motor and transmission.
I am nearly finished with the rebuild on a 302 and will have him drive it to my place to change engine and transmission in the next month or so.
So are you guys that know more about mustangs saying the 6 cylinder chassis is not strong enough for a 302?
I don't think they reinforced the unit body for most of the Mustangs in the 1st Gen group with a possible exception of the convertible cars. They only put one torque box in the 67. It wasn't till 1968 that they finally installed the torque boxes on both sides. The pieces are available to add them to some of the first generation cars. Most folks wouldn't notice the change unless they actually did one after driving it stock for a while. It helps a lot with structural rigidity. Connecting the subframe rails together is also not a bad idea.

Updating the 1st gen types to the V8 components is enough for regular everyday driving. It's when you like to lay the hammer down a lot when you want the higher body strength. Updating the suspension for strength isn't a bad idea either but the old Falcon type parts will last under normal use.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #25
rooboy

Marcus 'ol mate ..... I've lost your email.....
Rooboy................
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #26
Marcus

G'day, Rooboy!! When I retired, the agreement with the State of Mississippi was that they would leave my computer email active, so that I could assist the incoming Director: some bean counter ignored that and deactivated the email, causing me to lose all my addresses and links. I lost yours as well ...... And the new Director was highly perturbed, to use acceptable language!!
My new email (nothing to do with the government!!): truckstang01@gmail(dot)com.
Send a note, Mate!!
Old 10-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #27
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Seth - the answer to your question has several facets: as others have pointed out, and you surmised, the market is somewhat soft right now - and not just for "collectibles." In particular the Mustang world is filled with "Mustang nuts" (I am one, having "cut my teeth on Mustangs" and campaigned a blown '67 fastback for years) who are constantly buying and selling. The selling market is hot, for the right car and buyer, just exactly as is the EV8 and the A Model. For the average, run of the mill car, the prices are much lower but when the car and buyer match expect to pay a premium. Couple cases in point: I sold a 1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible last year, totally rust free and a very nice cosmetic refresh for $15K. It was EXACTLY what the lady was looking for, and her husband (also a Mustang nut) was only too happy to write the check. My current, nearly finished project, is a '68 Mustang Convertible, GT Clone, that is also totally rust free, and I have a standing offer of $25K. Finally, as you know, I own the Truckstang, the only Fox-bodied Mustang Pickup in existence. My custom built Mustang just completed an 8-month tour in the Mustang Owners Museum in Concord, NC to rave reviews and a number of offers (nope - staying in my collection)!
All this to say that the market is soft in some cases, not so in others. My '31 Slantwindow went to a collector in South Mississippi for $18,500, but it was an excellent example. My '29 Tudor, also excellent, sold for $11,000 and I was happy to get that much! You are correct concerning motivation: that is always a determining factor! Not throwing them out with the trash - enjoying the restoration and reselling too much.........and besides, this way Margretha always knows where I am.....grin!
Best wishes to you and the ladies of your household!
One of these for sale in my current printed edition of Hemmings.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #28
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Yeoman View Post
Marcus, would love to see pix of the Truckstang.
One of these for sale in my current printed edition of Hemmings.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 02:10 PM   #29
craig

A 351W or a Cleveland is a fairly easy bolt in for a '67 to '70 Mustang. You'll need a different exhaust H pipe, but the same motor mounts as the small block originally had. The perch plates from a big block are different from the small block units. The suspension is the same, I used to swap the front springs from a 390 car into the small block car when I used a Cleveland engine. I left the sb springs in on a Windsor swap because it usually ended up with aluminium heads and intake and probably came in about the same weight as a stock 302.
hop up has a better idea, leave the original engine in it. They work great and they make good power, especially with the aftermarket heads and manifolds available today
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #30
mercman from oz

The Truckstang, the only Fox-bodied Mustang Pickup in existence - Marcus
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #31
frank long island

i am in the midst of this ground up build now on a 66 convertible was a 6 now an 8 added power steering and auto green black gut was a 2 owner car but from south shore of long island also used for collage up north so rot was every where except cowl oddly enough floors rails 1/4s door skins frt door pillars drop offs im sure i forgot something pics in my profile will post more shortly
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:01 PM   #32
ModelA29

Coupes, Convertibles, Fastbacks in that order for all years. The 71-73 is starting to catch on since it's cheaper than the earlier cars.
Engine has a big effect 6, 8-2bbl, 8-4bbl, HiPo - a K in the VIN means HiPo and adds a lot to the price of the early cars. 67-8 Fastbacks are the ones that are most desirable because everyone paints them Highland Green and plays Frank Bullitt. Add Shelby, or Boss to the ad and you can ask up to 1/2 million. There will always be the holy grail cars like the Bullitt car or the prototype GT350 Competition Model that sold at the 4 million mark. People do like their Mustangs truly restored to match how it left the factory. A Marti report adds to the selling price so you can prove how it left Henry's. There is some interest in the later Fox body cars and there are some rare performance models such as the 32 valve DOHC Cobra. After 2005 they started creating some more Bullitt, Boss 302 and other performance cars. I won't call these "collectable" because too many were built but they do carry a premium price.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote