Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
BanjoBoy

Default 1935 Ford 5 Window Coupe Sheet Metal Question

Hello there

I have aquired a 1935 Ford 5 Window coupe Running and Driving
The Body has been channeled the width of the frame and It does not have front / rear fenders / running boards/ hood or grille/
it has a dropped front axle in front

here are my questions and concerns

1) would the stock sheet metal bolt on and clear with the current channel (width of the frame)
2) I understand that 1936 parts would work on a 35 so long as i stick to ALL 35 parts... is this correct?
3) i want to make it a tail dragger and bring the front up / would this help in clearing the sheet metal?

well thats just about it

any help would be appreciated

Im sure someone here with a 1935 / 1936 would be able to provide first hand knowledge

thanks
jason

i posted this on the Hamb /
I posted wanted ads here and the hamb

have trade or cash for correct parts IF this will work

thanks
jason
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 1935 Ford 5 Window Coupe Sheet Metal Question

I'm not typically into channeling or chopping '35 Fords, but if you could put up some pictures that show the sides of your car, especially in the areas where the front and rear fenders bolt in place, I might be able to determine if stock 35 or 36 fenders will bolt up.
The running boards normally bolt to the frame and lower areas of front and rear fenders. It sounds as though you could not bolt them to the frame now.

I don't totally understand the wording of questions 2 & 3, so I won't try to comment on those

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-28-2016 at 06:39 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Mart

Impossible to say. Nothing is stock any more. You would have to assume that things will not fit. Everything will have to be modified to fit, some more than others. Every part will have to be considered individually and a work plan decided upon. You might find that it just will not be do-able.

Often trying to undo someone else's modifications just leads to more and more heavily modded parts and unless you're fully committed to basically building a full custom, with all the work involved to make that happen, then it may be better to not try to do too much.

The alternative would be to restore the body to full height, replacing the cut away parts. then in theory at least the standard body parts would fit. But that may not be possible either, or more work that you want, or just not what you want to do.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
BanjoBoy

IMG_2204[2].jpg

IMG_2225[1].jpg

IMG_2352[1].jpg

IMG_2358[1].jpg

IMG_2204[1].jpg
Old 12-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
tubman

Putting fenders and boards on this would probably be close to impossible, and would probabaly impose some serious clearance problems. Please excuse me for saying this, but the best thing to do may be to leave it alone and change the grille shell to something more fitting with the "theme" of the car Except for the grille, I find it strangely appealing, especially from the rear.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
BanjoBoy

Does anyone know of a 1935/36 Coupe that is channeled width of frame but still retains stock fenders / Running boards/ Hood/Grille?

I appreciate the help
Old 12-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looks a lot like a period dirt track car, that might be a consideration vs a custom tail dragger. But, if you have your heart set on the latter, anything is possible if you are willing to put in the effort. I would bet some HAMB guys would have some suggestions.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

After looking at your pictures more carefully, I think there is a good possibility that you could use rear fenders, either '35 or '36.
In front, I don't see how you can use '35 or '36 fendors without making major sheet metal and mounting bracket modifications. If you determine a possible way to mount the front fenders, then I can see a possibility for attaching running boards to their normal location on front and rear fenders, and then making drop down brackets from the frame down to the running board holes that normally bolt directly to the frame.
Mounting the correct grille would be possible, but would need to be dropped to equal the channel drop so at least the top halves of the hood could be used.
Like others have said, anything is possible if you are willing to put the time, work, and money into your project.
In my humble opinion, if you want a full fendered '35/'36 5w coupe with the other hotrod features that you prefer having, you might be better off selling that car to someone who wants a fenderless car, and find another 5w coupe that has not been channeled. Just saying....

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-28-2016 at 12:02 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #9
danliveshere

Jason my buddy who is doing the bodywork for my stock body 35 roadster has just completed exactly what you have. The owner of a 35 five window coupe wanted it channelled (the original floors were gone) and he had to install 36 front sheet metal. I saw the car when it was sitting on the frame after channelling. Apparently getting the sheet metal to line up was a lot of work. Remember the hood and grill attach to the radiator so it has to be lowered then you have to change every mounting bolt hole for inner fenders outer fenders running boards and the rear fenders. Most of the holes no longer line up with the frame so have to be supported/ reinforced accordingly. Can be done if you have the skills or the $$ if you don't. Dan
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
gmanrides

Yes sir the channel changes everything as stated above. A lot of work involved good luck.
gmanrides is offline   Reply With Quote