Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #41
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: still overheating

Do they still make a cheap test for hydrocarbons in the radiator? Maybe at a place like Pep Boys. That would confirm a head gasket leak.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #42
CYB4

At my Tudor it was a cracked cylinder head, at heavy load uphills or high speed the combustion gases went into the cooling system, pressing out the water thru the filling neck of the radiator.

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #43
redmodelt

Also as someone suggested way back, have you done a compression check to see if the head gasket is blown? Seems to me when you posted before you were going thru the same thing, drive the car and add water after each drive and was told the same thing, the water only need to cover the top plate in the radiator by 1 inch or so. After the water level in the radiator reaches it's running level, this is where it wants to be, adding more is not going to help except watering the asphalt.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #44
RonC

You can't overfill the radiator. the water level will adjust with the excess coming out the overflow pipe. Don't clog the pipe it's there for a reason. Fix the problem. Do you have a thermostat? If so take it out it could be restricting flow. As was mentioned check your timing. Use the method on a barnyard.com. Improper timing can quickly overheat your engine
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #45
H. L. Chauvin

Hidden deeply in your first post and referred to often above:

"I have replaced the radiator"; and, "Still over heating after about 30 minutes".

In accordance with some of the above hints, ever think if you now tried 379 new radiators, could the:

"Still over heating after about 30 minutes" scenario still occur.

Yes or no?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #46
callcoy

What has worked for me was to reverse flush the block, remove the lower hose and upper hose, stick the garden hose in the outlet, the top angled casting with a rag wrapped it around to prevent leakage. Use full pressure, you can not hurt anything, this will blow out most rust debris.

Reverse flush the radiator from the bottom to the top, do not use full pressure or you will damage your new possession.

When you are done reinstall the hoses, buy 3 gallons of white vinegar and fill your system, do not over fill, you do not want vinegar on your paint so carry a damp rag with you while you are driving.

Test your hoses for leaks, then take your car out for a drive and build up some heat, you may have solved your over heating problem or not at this stage.

Leave the vinegar in for a week and drive it as often as you can, watch your temp. you really need an infrared temp meter to monitor things accurately, borrow or buy one.

Drain it all out after a week do the flush thing again, add 50-50 antifreeze and road test again, hopefully you will have solved your over heating problem.

I have had great success by adding a thermostat, we had one of our cars out today in 90+ deg. weather with a 160 thermostat and it ran all day long at 150 deg.

I don't think you said you had a dash mounted gauge, if you ever do don't trust it till you verify it with a infrared temp meter, one of my cars has a gauge that reads 45 degs. high. No I didn't check before I did all of the above.

Let us know when you succeed and what you did to whip it!