Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
johndee138

Default Re: 1936 Rumble seat coupe ?'s

I have just RETURNED my 36 coupe to its original trunk configuration. As stated above, the RS was a pain in the a$$, in the rain it filled up with water, cant hardly use the space, impossible for grown folks to get in and out of.
Consequently , I have nice seat cushions and hardware to dispose of.
PM me for your possible needs!!
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
DavidG

RKS.PA,

Right on! He did not ask for everyone's two cents on the virtues or vices of rumble seats which he made perfectly clear, so why do some feel compelled to beat a dead horse?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #23
Ron Pilger

To David G and RKA.PA: thank you for your excellent and timely feedback on this topic. I think this car needs to be put back on the road in accordance with the wishes of the family. Good for you to complete the dream. For what it's worth, I own cars with rumble seats; while they are not always practical i submit that they are wonderful for people to look at, complain about and represent an opportunity for a bit of healthy reminiscing . My ONLY suggestion on the topic. Add some seat belts for a bit of relative safety. Enjoy every drive!
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #24
RKS.PA

Right on re: the seat belts!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

1936-5w-coupe originally posted this over two years ago. Regardless of how most of us felt about the direction he was planning to take, and maybe trying to influence him then on what we felt might be a mistake, I just wonder now which direction he actually took with his dad's nice original coupe?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
Lanny

I hope the OP see's this and chimes in to let us know if he got it done.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #27
JM 35 Sedan

"hope the OP see's this and chimes in to let us know if he got it done. "

I just sent him a PM requesting an update on his project. I'm thinking he has seen his 2 yr old post bttt because his personal page shows his last visit at ~ 11:00 pm on the forum last night.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #28
Anteek29

I admire wanting to follow the family wishes...even though trunks are more practical.
My stock '29 Coupe has the rumble seat and even though I wish it were a trunk I would not change - mainly due to the overwhelming interest showed by folks constantly asking, "Does it have a rumble seat?"
Seems most people make the association of rumble seats and old cars
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #29
tubman

I had a rumble seat in my '36 3-window. The best thing about it was the fact that the overwhelming majority of folks these days had no idea that such things existed. Just about everyone (especially kids) was just fascinated when I'd open it up and show 'em how it worked. Then I'd roll down the rear window and they'd lose their minds! The amazement factor was worth two suitcases and a valise any time!.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #30
1936-5w-coupe

Yes, I visit this site often and purchase parts quite often from members here. My 36 is still in the restoration process. Almost on the rotisserie. Gathering up parts, info etc.. I hope to have it painted by spring. As to the rumble seat conversion...

I absolutely love this site. It is a fantastic resource for parts and has an enormous amount of information on it. What is absolutely dissatisfying is the amount of people that have too throw their less than positive comments around about "save the trunks" and "don't cut henry's steel" . Its over and over. Yes we hear you, yes its your opinion. Ur beating a dead horse!! I'm a purist at heart with all my muscle cars, and I will do the same with my 36 to a point. My father purchased this 36 in 64' when he was 15 yrs old in Ca. It has been a staple in my family and its amazing that my father never sold it. Through the hardtimes in the economy, passings of my mother and grandparents, this car was the glue that held the memories together. When he gave the car too me he knew that I would NEVER alter the originality of the car to any extreme. ( small block chevy, juice brakes, 12 volt, original color etc.. ) The 1 thing my father always talked about was he always wished the car was a rumble seat car. This was one thing I was determined to change, and do as correctly as possible to maintain the authentic nature of my 36. I've gathered as many original 36 parts to do this as I am able to find. I hand fabricated the turn down gutters that mirror an original R/S car, and have a lot of work to do ahead. I feel like I havn't just "cut up a trunk car, and slapped a seat in the rear".
I know i'm getting off topic here, but I just want too leave y'all with this final thought. Face it. The age group and interest in these cars are declining more and more especially for the original cars. I don't know too many people my age (42) or younger that express ANY interest in a genie or stock v8 car. And I honestly think when someone visits this site and sees the feedback that gets posted on certain subjects.. It just drives them away. I've had several questions I've wanted to ask but know i'll get the same ol answers from hard headed members about what THEY THINK should be done. If y'all want to help preserve this amazing and declining era of automobiles, help with the cause! Support a younger generation that's eager too learn and is willing to carry on the legacy of "old Henry steel"! If its minor alterations so be it. At least its not butchering these things up into street rods!!

Eh... sorry to rant. Thanks to all those who have helped and left great information. Now my coffee is cold! Maybe i'll just UBER it down too Starbucks!! Its a generation thing.
1969 camaro SS
1969 judge RA 3
1965 GMC crew cab
1936-5w-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #31
1936-5w-coupe

BTW.... When I showed my father a couple pics of the rumble seat flipped open and new upholstery in it... His face teared up and he just absolutely loved how it looked. "That's how a 36' should look" he said. That's the ONLY persons opinion that matters to me.
1969 camaro SS
1969 judge RA 3
1965 GMC crew cab
1936-5w-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #32
Fordestes

Well Done 1936-5w-coupe, If you can't enjoy then why own one? Glad your Father is pleased with the outcome.
fordestes.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #33
aandkt

I had a 36 Cabriolet in 64 and Now I built another one. It was decked when I got it. I put in a rumble and spare on back of the car. My wife loves the look and you know what that means. "I love it"
I had lots of help from Ford Barn guys.
Thanks
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #34
DavidG

Tom, Why would you think that just because a majority want it one way all should toe the line? Further, why buy a coupe with a rumble seat if you want one with trunk? There were a hell of lot more of them produced with trunks than rumble seats.

Stop bullying this guy, he has made his choice; respect it.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:58 PM   #35
Brian

thing that is apparent to me, sitting back on the sideline observing, is all those guys that have rumble seat coupes, that wish they had trunk models, well, here is the perfect opportunity to swap parts in order to fulfil each owners dreams...just saying