Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2024, 06:13 PM   #101
52Allard

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Regarding your transmission, I would let all of us know the rebuilder so we will know what kind of person he is.

As for the no number case, any three speed transmission from an F-1 pickup from about 48-53 will be the same case, but no serial number ever stamped on it. A good source for the proper shifter top casting too.

As for the rebuilder, he's a very well-known rebuilder, is very knowledgeable and in general seems like a decent guy. He has a shop guy that does the rebuilds in another location and I'm guessing there is a communication problem between the main office and the shop. For another example, the shop owner said that he would send back my case primed but it was sent back sand blasted cast iron. I don't really care about that since I'm going to paint the trans the same as the engine but it's another example of a lack of communication between the shop and main office.

Thanks so much for the tip on the truck transmission case. I'll be on the lookout!
52Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 06:24 PM   #102
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I think it would be a service to all here for us to know who NOT to send or recommend for transmission work. If you are afraid of repercussions for dissing someone, even if a member here, please just give us the address where you sent the trans to.
We all need to know who is that dishonest.
It sounds like you got back a trans with the earlier style gears and inferior synchronizers and they kept the good parts for themselves, and on top of that they charged you.
The transmission returned does have the LZ gears that I sent, later model synchronizers, and the other good parts. Everything else now seems OK in the trans now.

I'm really just annoyed that I went out of my way to find the 39 trans that I sent them, paid too much for it, and drove 600 miles to pick it up. Then they rebuilt someone else's trans so I don't know if all the parts in my core transmission were bad or not and now I have someone else's trans... I don't mean to whine but it's annoying more than anything.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:33 PM   #103
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
On the last ARDUN I built just over a year ago the client wanted to run a Vertex Scintillia right angle mag drive the engine is now in an untouched Hotrod built in 1949 lots of patina and history as well. The build was on a 59A block I discovered the right angle Vertex drive angle produced a problem where the mag body is directly in the way of the water pump pulley.

To solve this problem I ended up using a Pounden right angle drive. Using this drive works great since its adjustable you can rotate the mag mount on the front cover so it clears the water pump pulley and fits nicely under the generator with the belt going around everything with no issues. Only drawback to this is the Pounden is not easy to find.
Ronnieroadster
Thanks for the tip Ronnie.
I've seen a few Pounden mag bases but not with the magneto. I understand he used airplane mags so seems possible to reconstruct but I haven't found a whole assembly of base + mag so a little reluctant to go down that path.

The angle drive I found has a bronze adaptor plate that should allow me to change the orientation of the magneto. It's another leak point though so that will be some messing around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7240.jpg (51.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:40 PM   #104
52Allard

Here's the basic look I'm going for.
This engine came out of an Allard J2 race car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ardun.jpg (91.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-25-2024, 07:00 PM   #105
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Allard View Post
Thanks for the tip Ronnie.
I've seen a few Pounden mag bases but not with the magneto. I understand he used airplane mags so seems possible to reconstruct but I haven't found a whole assembly of base + mag so a little reluctant to go down that path.

The angle drive I found has a bronze adaptor plate that should allow me to change the orientation of the magneto. It's another leak point though so that will be some messing around.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:00 PM   #106
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Allard View Post
Here's the basic look I'm going for.
This engine came out of an Allard J2 race car.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote