Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #41
BillCNC

Default Re: hoky fixs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
Black pepper flakes in the radiator to stop a small leak….
My preferred method of dealing with a small leak. Pepper is biodegradable and will eventually disappear, leaving to to do the repair correctly, or to add more pepper. In fact, in my modern cars, I carry a can of pepper in the glove box. It's pulled me or a complete stranger out of a jam more than once.

I don't like bars leak or similar because it will coat all the surfaces of your cooling system with no easy way to remove it.

I do this with modern cars where radiators don't cost $600-$800 greenbacks. My Model A, it get's fixed correctly because the engine cost a fortune to replace.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #42
WHN

These are some really good stories.

All the more reason to buy a car that has had as few owners as possible. Every new owner does his thing.

Enjoy. Haze Gray and Underway!
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #43
BillCNC

The trick is to find a car who's owners were NOT butchers or a complete hack. When looking to buy a car, look at everything else the owner own's. That should be a good indicator. Probably ask him a qualifier question such as, How many roll's of duct tape does he go through in a year, or, when was the last time he bought bailing wire?

Reghards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #44
Dave in Petaluma

The link below shows a few examples from a '28 AA express that came from an estate. It's pretty on top and a horror show underneath. I'm not sure where to start, but if anyone has any 1928 AA brake parts, I'm listening. The brakes have been "modified" with a later cross shaft shoved through the frame and attached only to the brake rods.https://photos.app.goo.gl/9qtwHy69DhJngS4RA
Dave in Petaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #45
WHN

Shade Tree Mechanic work.

What does the body, interior, and engine look like?

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:57 AM   #46
Dave in Petaluma

I've added a couple of pics of the top side to the album. I'm unable to post pictures any other way, sorry.
Dave in Petaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #47
[email protected]

Old thread on this subject.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=16136
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:59 PM   #48
old ugly

this is what you do if you have too many oil leaks or maybe a knock you can't find.
custom modified and brazed into the oil pan in the wrong spot.

hard to figure out why the engine failed after such few miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0339.jpg (56.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0338.jpg (52.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0337.jpg (54.4 KB, 127 views)

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #49
Bullrhider

"I bought a 1929 closed cab pickup years ago that was "restored" but the transmission required rebuilding before driving the car and the doors did not fit correctly. As you know this model used Model T parts in the body, including the doors."

Does this explain why the Model A front floor mats sold by most vendors do not fit properly in the Pickups? Would a Model T mat fit better? Does anyone make the proper mat for Model A pickups?
Bullrhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #50
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullrhider View Post
"I bought a 1929 closed cab pickup years ago that was "restored" but the transmission required rebuilding before driving the car and the doors did not fit correctly. As you know this model used Model T parts in the body, including the doors."

Does this explain why the Model A front floor mats sold by most vendors do not fit properly in the Pickups? Would a Model T mat fit better? Does anyone make the proper mat for Model A pickups?
a while back i worked on an early 1928 closed cap pu. the doors were model T but the inside floor was the same as model A.
maybe a different mat but the one i removed from that pu looked just like the other model A p/u . it fit ok.
i have no idea the supplier of that mat.

sorry not much help

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
Old 02-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #51
gdmn852

This is pictures of the same door as mounted on car and after sandblasting,sculpt a door out of bondo , I wondered why it was so heavy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C5AC9ED-54FB-40DF-97E6-4337CD05FD1E.jpg (77.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 7DBA7C03-ADC5-4A4E-A10F-3E6230CC630F.jpg (68.1 KB, 95 views)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #52
Gene F

The oil tray phot really makes me wonder. Where that is located, why would the oil not keep it in pristine condition? Also, aren't these readily available?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:05 PM   #53
hep1966

In 1988, 16 year old me “fixed” a hole in a quarter panel with plastic bags and fiberglass filler. It still holds in place.
hep1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #54
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
The oil tray phot really makes me wonder. Where that is located, why would the oil not keep it in pristine condition? Also, aren't these readily available?
yes it was brazed into the oil pan. i had to cut it out with a makita and a cut off wheel. so its covered in brass grindings. it just came out of a running engine. but the engine had some serious internal problems that i think came from oil not circulating properly.

thats all brass along the outer edges

Old 03-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #55
Certimafied

hep1966, when I was a teen I helped a fella who worked on old deuce and halfs. He liked newspaper and bond for rust repair.

Recently found a w124 chassis Mercedes with a water leak in the interior through the firewall above the trans hump. Found someone at some point in time used expanding foam to fill a rust hole. They took the time to reshape and paint over the foam. Dditn know it was there until I put a screwdriver to it.
Certimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #56
nkaminar

In 1936, in the middle of the depression, the Model A was just a used car and money was tight. A lot of things were done just to keep the car going. Through WW II when new cars were not available the Model A was kept running by hokey fixes. But today there is no excuse. In another thread I see some work being done on an engine in the car where the better choice would be to pull the engine and do a proper repair. I am sorry. I know that some people have limited resources and abilities and just want to get their car running. But people are capable of learning and using inexpensive tools. I have pulled an engine using a come-a-long. So I will get off my high horse now and go about my work for the day. But I just want to say that it takes more work to do something twice than to do it correctly in the first place.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #57
katy

Here's how to lift an engine on the cheap:
Dunno how the picture got rotated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homemade gantry .jpg (66.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 03-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #58
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Here's how to lift an engine on the cheap:
Dunno how the picture got rotated.
Don't know about "cheap" Katy. Have you seen the price of lumber lately?
Old 03-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #59
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullrhider View Post

FYI, Snyders sells an "untrimmed" floor mat that should work for you https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/s...archt=A-2005-U

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-17-2022 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add closing "
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #60
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
In 1936, in the middle of the depression, the Model A was just a used car and money was tight. A lot of things were done just to keep the car going. Through WW II when new cars were not available the Model A was kept running by hokey fixes. But today there is no excuse. In another thread I see some work being done on an engine in the car where the better choice would be to pull the engine and do a proper repair. I am sorry. I know that some people have limited resources and abilities and just want to get their car running. But people are capable of learning and using inexpensive tools. I have pulled an engine using a come-a-long. So I will get off my high horse now and go about my work for the day. But I just want to say that it takes more work to do something twice than to do it correctly in the first place.
so true.
to add
so many of the hoky fixs are by people presenting their cars as "being restored".there are no excuses for a hoky fix on a Model A nowadays.
especially so on safety related parts.