Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2021, 04:07 AM   #21
ronn

Default Re: go buy a new/rebuilt one

Books are a far more reliable source of information than the internet.

that may be true, but I have done plenty of 5-10 minute utube tutorials and became an expert that quickly! incredible the info that is out there.......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

One of my favorite cookbooks is called "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter".

The author gives her opinions regarding which products are cost-effective and worth the trouble to make yourself and which ones most of us are better off just buying.

Working on our cars involves the same decisions that each person must make for themselves.
If I need a rebuilt transmission, I'll do it myself.
If I need a rebuilt carburetor, I'll call Bert's.
Everyone has to figure out their own comfort zone in this scheme of things......
Old 11-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
One of my favorite cookbooks is called "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter".

The author gives her opinions regarding which products are cost-effective and worth the trouble to make yourself and which ones most of us are better off just buying.

Working on our cars involves the same decisions that each person must make for themselves.
If I need a rebuilt transmission, I'll do it myself.
If I need a rebuilt carburetor, I'll call Bert's.
Everyone has to figure out their own comfort zone in this scheme of things......
Well said Chris.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
old ugly

fix vs replace is relative to each persons situation. weather that is financial or aptitude we don't know.

if on a shoe string budget ,or even curious about why it failed, that person will spend hours on a $5.00 part. for others its not worth their time. we all know that.

if i ask about faults and get lots of good feed back on diagnose and repair thats great but if you just tell me to buy a new, that does not help me at all. i can make that decision.

when someone is asking about what is wrong or how to fix or how to diagnose, lets offer up our thought on the issue. lets not just jump in and say buy new or take it to the shop unless the OP is asking for a parts or mechanical supplier.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #25
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
When I was growing up two of our six gas stations were run by men who grew up in the late 20's early 30's repairing vehicles. The one who owned the DX station had worked in the town Ford garage the other guys (brothers) owned the Skelly station and sold Plymouths out of it on the side. They had a framed picture of Pres. Calvin Coolidge in the office!

You talk about guys that could fix anything, they were awesome. And that doesn't count the private garage in town that the Anderson Bros. ran. They were Model T experts and could do or make ANYthing. People still talk about their skills and this was in the 1960's they all retired.

I sure wish they were still with us today, I've got plenty of 'how-do-I -do-THIS?' questions
In my little hometown, we had Norm. He helped me get our first Model A running after it was parked for ten years. He also crafted a new set of mufflers for my '69 corvette. Another time, someone flying an antique biplane landed in a bean field north of town--Norm to the rescue on that one, back in the air and onward south. He was also a Korean War vet and a gifted conversationalist. A visit to his shop with a six pack was a treat. Norm was never about money, he loved helping anyone and everyone. He's gone now and I miss him.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #26
Pete

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Books are a far more reliable source of information than the internet.

that may be true, but I have done plenty of 5-10 minute utube tutorials and became an expert that quickly! incredible the info that is out there.......
That is true and you are an expert, but, for everyone of you there are 100 guys that don't know their ass from first base putting videos on the internet.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #27
Ayers1

My dad always said that what a man could make a living doing, he could do once. With that being said, I have watched him rebuild several A engines through the years and restore countless A's. I have never been able to rebuild engines but I have restored about a dozen cars in the past. I would be happy to get someone to rebuild an engine because it is above my skills. Anything else is fair game to rebuild before I replace. That's how it is with me and I accept that. ��

Last edited by Ayers1; 11-20-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #28
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That is true and you are an expert, but, for everyone of you there are 100 guys that don't know their ass from first base putting videos on the internet.
Some of the you tube videos are somebodies attempt to get recognition. I am not impressed with many of them.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote