Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #41
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: A few questions on a 8BA

I would seriously consider junking both the 11 inch clutch and the 4 speed transmission. Unless you are planning on using it for a logging truck! Hard to drive with that combo. Get a 3 speed transmission if you want to drive it with a matching clutch assembly.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #42
Los_Control

I would seriously consider junking both the 11 inch clutch and the 4 speed transmission. Unless you are planning on using it for a logging truck!

Not exactly a logging truck, but yeah it will be maybe a shop truck? I will use it to drive to the lumber store or the grocery store on a daily basis. Top speed limit in town is 35 mph. The frontage road is 55 mph to the next town ... where we drive our tractors from one field to the next ... 20 mph is good, just do what you can.
I would be replacing a 6 cyl 3 on the tree with a V8 4spd. I am building a truck.

So yeah, the V8 4spd, cab lights, cb radio, west coast mirrors, dual antenna ... thats what am building. Yes I may use it to pull a logging truck out of the woods ... I want the big clutch.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #43
tubman

Ah ha! I also have a brand new 11" clutch and pressure plate that I got in a bunch of parts about 10 years ago. I never tried to sell it because nobody wants them. IIRC, it's a "CenterForce".

It's new in the box and you can have it for shipping costs. (I'm downsizing my shop so my kids won't hate me.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #44
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I also have a brand new 11" clutch and pressure plate. IIRC, it's a "CenterForce".
It's new in the box and you can have it for shipping costs.

GOOD on YOU, Tub! Are there some decent folks here....or what? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #45
tubman

Thanks "Coopman", but I have no use for it, and it's HEAVY.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #46
Los_Control

Quote:
Ah ha! I also have a brand new 11" clutch and pressure plate that I got in a bunch of parts about 10 years ago. I never tried to sell it because nobody wants them. IIRC, it's a "CenterForce".

It's new in the box and you can have it for shipping costs. (I'm downsizing my shop so my kids won't hate me.)

Now you making me feel bad, I am not here for free items.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for @tubman because they step up and attempt to make a difference in the world.
I have my condenser all ready to go & I thank tubman for building it and supply it to us in the wild.

I love the idea they have created a fix for a 6 volt positive ground tach. I am going to go 12 volt & not need it.
Just the fact @tubman steps up and helps the community in their own way ... I am not here asking for free parts for my truck. Though we may be able to work a deal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0829211958.jpg (35.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #47
tubman

All good sentiments, "Los_Control", but I am downsizing and I really don't need this.

I am going on a run to the scrap metal dealer in the next week or two; better you than him.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #48
Los_Control

Well it will need to be packaged up for shipping, my zipcode is 79512. I would love to have the 11" clutch and use it.
You need to be paid for your time to package it & ship it.
I guess we would need to talk in pm to figure out what to do next.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #49
tubman

I'll check it out and make sure it is what I was told it is and get an estimate of shipping costs. It is in the original reinforced carton, so that should help.

I'll get back to you.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #50
Los_Control

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #51
tubman

I went to my shop today and checked on the clutch. The good news is that it is a new RAM clutch disc and pressure plate), still in the box. The bad news is that it is a 10" clutch, not an 11". Sorry, I could swear the guy told me it was an 11" and I never bothered to measure it until today.

No good deed goes unpunished however, but since you got me off my ass on this, I have a much more desirable unit than I thought. At 10" with a 1 3/8X10 spline, I thinks it's a regular pre '49 Ford unit. Sorry to get your hopes up.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #52
Los_Control

Happy you found a better clutch then what you thought

I found my answer today on my pressure plate. A video of a guy rebuilding one for a Ferguson tractor.
Not exactly the same as our Fords, but all the main points are the same.
The Gentleman is a wealth of knowledge on many things ... I am now 100% confident putting my pressure plate back together.

I will spend $2 and receive $200 of fun completing the project.
I will post a video of part 2, which is the meat of putting one together. Someone may be interested in it. I also watched part 1 which was very informative. I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35xYryhuqY

Main goal at this moment is to get my tiny shop cleaned up and organized. This pressure plate has been taking up bench space. I just had to decide to keep it or toss it. I'm keeping it.
Please do not feel bad Tubman, These things must weigh 30 pounds. I did not want to pay shipping for it if I have a good one here already
Old 08-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #53
Tim Ayers

Quote:
I went to my shop today and checked on the clutch. The good news is that it is a new RAM clutch disc and pressure plate), still in the box. The bad news is that it is a 10" clutch, not an 11". Sorry, I could swear the guy told me it was an 11" and I never bothered to measure it until today.

No good deed goes unpunished however, but since you got me off my ass on this, I have a much more desirable unit than I thought. At 10" with a 1 3/8X10 spline, I thinks it's a regular pre '49 Ford unit. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Funny how things work out.

I was going to say Centerforce diaphragm clutches aren't that heavy and work really well.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #54
Los_Control

Well what I have found out so far, putting the pressure plate back together went fine.
At least I can store it and if needed I will have it.
It was the rear main bearing spun and still welded to the crank. With the cap removed I can now rotate the crank & pistons.
Pretty obvious the motor was rebuilt with low miles on it. Crank has been turned and stamped .010 .020 ... I forget exact # but it has been turned. I suspect I will be looking for a good original used crank someday. Start with a fresh grind and new bearings.

I have a new question today, slightly OT and about tools.
I need to buy a engine crane. I think this flathead V8 is the heaviest motor I own. My choices are limited, pretty much Harbor freight unless someone has a better idea.

My choice is a 1 ton hoist for $200, or $80 more a 2 ton hoist. The hoist will live in a backyard storage area. I just have no room for it indoors.

will the cheaper 1ton hoist work ok with these engines?

Wife OT Dodge V6 weighs 340# I need the hoist now to replace it.
My daily driver is a SBC 350.
My current project is a flathead 6 cyl
Then this flathead V8.

I think I may use it 3 or 4 times in my lifetime, Maybe more. Stored out in a open garden shed (20 years?) Just do not want to spend more then needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0926211030.jpg (57.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 0925211235a.jpg (46.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0925210912a.jpg (62.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 0528211142.jpg (107.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #55
marko39

check the fingers on pressure plate to see that they are equal. there is an exact adjustment that can be found in the old Motor manual.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #56
Los_Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
check the fingers on pressure plate to see that they are equal. there is an exact adjustment that can be found in the old Motor manual.
Thank you, that is good advice. The video I watched also showed that procedure.
When I first put it together, 1 finger was lower then the others. I rigged up a long bar foe leverage and was able to operate the pressure plate several times to be sure the disk was free and moving. Then all the fingers were equal again.

I got the crank out this morning. Not what I expected.
I loosened all the rods 1 at a time and tried to turn it each time.
Then started with front main and finally when loosened rear main it would easily turn.
The rear main was the problem. The cap came off but bearing was stuck on crank.

I used a punch on the bearings to remove them after crank was on the bench.
They came off easily.

Here are photos of what I found. Only cleaning I have done is with a dry rag and wipe the oil off so far.
There is a little discoloration that you can catch a finger nail on, and a little rust on the edges. I assume this locked up the engine. Then the bearings that go with it.
Just a random rod bearing, they all seem to be the same condition.
There is a couple of stuck rings, they do not want to rotate.

Anyone think that crank could be cleaned up with emery cloth without being turned?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1009211032.jpg (53.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1009211031c.jpg (74.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1009211031b.jpg (62.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1009211031a.jpg (44.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1009211033b.jpg (62.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #57
marko39

Looks like it had a little water in its oil at some time. I would clean it up better and put it back in the block where you can check it with plastigauge to check clearance.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #58
Los_Control

I wanted to add that the motor is incredibly filthy from sitting. It needs hot tanked badly.
I have zero faith in the cam & lifters being good. Couple random photos of the rest of the crank, again just a dry rag and wiped the oil off.
Everything looks good in person, except the rear main I showed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1009211030.jpg (62.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1009211033.jpg (38.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1009211032b.jpg (57.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #59
don35

To answer your question about engine weight, a flathead, and a sbc are very close to the same.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #60
Los_Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by don35 View Post
To answer your question about engine weight, a flathead, and a sbc are very close to the same.

I appreciate the reply ... Sometimes I feel so stupid. Sometimes when I write out a question then later read it back to myself ... I feel bad.

IMHO of reading back my own question ... I get the impression of... "HEY GUYS, I WANT TO BUY A CHEAP Tool ... WHAT DO YOU THINK?"

I should know better then to ask a question like that. Yet here I am

See I have a 1 ton chain hoist, it has some serious limitations. It will not pickup a 8Ba with the transmission connected. Remove the trans and it picks up the motor ... OK.
I think it is just my chain hoist wore out, but not sure.

Then remember I just want to use it a few times then store it out in the backyard.
I found Tractor supply has a crane for $100 more then harbor freight, $350, I bet it is a lot better.

I suspect to use it a couple times & then it will sit in the weather for 5 years, probably need to replace the cylinder to get it to work again.

I guess the best answer am hoping for is the 1 ton crane is a piece of crap and will not work for our engines/transmission ... Or it is a piece of crap but it will do the job.