Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
talwrench

Default purple ice by royal purple

Has any one tried this addative? I am thinking of running it this summer. I already know that if I run straight water that my engine runs about 8 degrees cooler. Curious if there are any down side to this addative before I try. Thanks for any input.
talwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: purple ice by royal purple

How pricey?? Are you overheating?? Put 50/50 a/freeze in it and forget it. JMO
Paul in CT

Love Q/tow, my daughter went to DeSale.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

Don't know about purple ice but there are other additives that work very well on lowering the water temp, so purple ice should work wel too.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
talwrench

1931 Flamingo, So u know about Q town. In the middle of summer 50/50 antifreeze foams alot, and I run hot 190F. when I run only water I run about 8- 10 degrees cooler. So my plan is to run water with the addative. water pump lube for the summer. Radiator is good, had serviced and rodded last year.
talwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
ryanheacox

Just started a thread about this on another site. That additive may help your problem but odds are good that your head gasket is leaking or there is a crack somewhere letting combustion gas into the coolant.

Running hot and foaming combined screams combustion gas leak to me. My issue had me stumped because I was at 170 after a long hard climb. Bought a fluid test kit and sure enough my head gasket is leaking (hopefully not a crack). I bet yours is too.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

Years ago I heard that Sierra anti freeze doesn't foam. I have never tried it as I use Waterless coolant.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

This does not answer your question - but some alternate info. I have used Distilled Water, Napa 1300 Rust Inhibitor, with Redline Water Wetter. It helps some, not a huge difference, maybe 5 -10 degrees cooler.

For any of these type additives to work, your cooling system has to be in good shape. They will not overcome a rusty/scaled up/full of grease system, or a radiator in poor shape, or an undersized radiator core.

If adding these do not give you the cooling performance you need, best to look into perhaps an issue with your system.

Here is another thread on waterwetter/purple ice. It helps sometimes to find things by searching using google and including ford barn in the search.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...7384&showall=1
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #8
eagle

If adding these do not give you the cooling performance you need, best to look into perhaps an issue with your system.

I'd say if these are needed, you already have an issue with your system. Never had an issue with 50/50 foaming at all. I use the green stuff from Napa, nothing special. Cools just fine on the hottest days.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post

I'd say if these are needed, you already have an issue with your system. Never had an issue with 50/50 foaming at all. I use the green stuff from Napa, nothing special. Cools just fine on the hottest days.

I agree, but have seen discussion that in certain cases water wetter/purple Ice/etc. can help. Cases like desert driving, high altitude driving, Texas/Florida/Mountains/etc. Since water is a better coolant for its absorbance and dissipation of heat than antifreeze, some have to use distilled water and additives.

This is what I have read, In Wisconsin I do not run into the heat/altitude issues, and have switched to antifreeze to prevent rust scale.

Opinions vary, am open to others opinions.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
chap52

Too much advanced timing and/or a GAV setting that is too lean can add to the overheating issue. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Have you taken an air hose to your radiator lately. Blow from water pump side to outside. In Nevada dust and bugs are an issue. Good Luck
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote