Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #41
glennpm

Default Re: Charging help needed please

Great thanks again Kevin! BTW my regulator was a quality made in USA item produced sometime back in the 80's.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #42
koates

Ok Glen, you have done well. To adjust the voltage regulator (the one on the end) warm the engine and engine bay up first, a short drive maybe. Connect your voltmeter between ground and battery or Armature terminal on regulator and rev engine up to about 2000 RPM. A reading on your voltmeter of 14.2 volts (or 7.5 volts on a 6 volt system) is what to aim for. Adjust the volts up or down by bending the spring tab of the voltage control up or down as required. You can use pointy nose pliers to do this. After each adjustment let engine idle and then rev up several times to check the setting. To check the maximum current setting on the centre current control you hold the voltage control contacts closed with your fingers carefully so that the voltage contacts can not regulate and rev up again to 2000 RPM or so and read what amps are charging on your dash ammeter or better still an analogue test ammeter connected in line at the regulator battery terminal. You should aim for about 25 to 28 amps with your modified 12 volt generator by bending the spring tab up or down on the centre current control. The current control is set to the SAFE MAXIMUM CONTINIOUS AMPS OUTPUT that the generator will safely handle without overheating or burning out the armature. If you have a specification sheet on the modified generator it might list the safe amps. I would not go over 30 amps so I think 28 amps would be good. When the metal regulator cover is fitted on it might drop the voltage slightly so you might have to re adjust the voltage control for that. See how you go and report back. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:00 AM   #43
glennpm

Thanks Kevin, I'll do it and report back!

Thanks for your help!

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote