Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Rustyspokes

Default Changing out a 34 Ford car Trans for a 36 Ford car trans

I have a chance to pick up a good 36 Ford trans , can I replace my 34 Ford car trans with this one, the 36 , what modifications need to be done ? can I use the 34 Tower on the 36 Trans ..Thanks
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
PeteVS

Default Re: Changing out a 34 Ford car Trans for a 36 Ford car trans

Sounds good to me!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:24 AM   #3
Kerk

Smile Re: Changing out a 34 Ford car Trans for a 36 Ford car trans

I believe it is an easy swap BUT I am sure you will have to use the 36 Shift lever as the tower is straight up vs slanted and the part of it that works the forks is longer on the 36. Hope this helps. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
Mac VP

Let's assume that the 36 transmission is in good working condition. The 36 would have all-helical gears, but otherwise, it's got the same synchronizer. You'll have to stay with the 36 tower and lever......unless you're willing to pull the thing apart and replace the low/reverse slider gear with one that works with the 36 forks.

Up front, you'll have to swap the clutch release arm from your 34 onto the 36 clutch shaft.

At the back is a group of parts that make up the rear support. You need to install the 34 assembly onto the 36 transmission.

The 36 shift lever is a tad longer with a curve to the rear. It might hit the seat cushion on the 1st and 3rd shifting positions.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Rustyspokes

Thanks Guys , Mac VP, thank you for the detailed difference between the 34 & 36 transmissions , I may rebuild my 34 from scratch and put the syncro in , same as the 39 ford , thanks ..RS
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There are some who claim to have modified the early type slant back shift tower to work with later type gears but I bet it would take more than a few mods to get it done to work correctly. The later shift tower is used with the 91A 2nd & 3rd shift fork that works with the later 39 & on type synchronizers. These later towers bolt on but they are in a different position that the original slant back type so the floor would need modification for that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

The '36 tower is straight up and looks like a '39. The '36 tower will accept most any '36 to '39 pass. car and '36 to early 50's pu truck floor shift lever. If you go with a pu shift lever, it looks like a '34 and may work better with '34 seats, although I'm not sure if it would hit the dash. Any of these levers can be reformed to fit your needs.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
There are some who claim to have modified the early type slant back shift tower to work with later type gears but I bet it would take more than a few mods to get it done to work correctly..
It's not just a claim. It has been done by someone who posts on this forum and works well on two of his early Ford V8's that are driven many miles each year. I can't disclose the individual who has done this because he may want to make these for sale at some point. He also made a set of these forks for me, and if I ever get off my duff, they will get installed in one of my '35 coupes when I replace the original '35 gears with '46-'48 gears.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I just wonder how the increased amount of throw was compensated for since the shift lever is shorter. The later synchro has to move a bit farther each way to work. A person like me can't say it's gospel to others without seeing it work for themselves. This is the only reason I used the term "claim" with respect to this alteration. If an altered set up will work then I think that's great. There may be more than a few folks that would like to go that route at some point. It would certainly be a nice improvement over stock for the 1932 through 1935 passenger cars and commercials.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote