Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default What a 57 T Bird Dist, Carb and intake worth

I need to have a idea what a 57 Dist.,Carb and intake used worth? I know I will have the Carb rebuilt. I think that would work nice on my 56. Yes he also has the AirCleaner very nice. He has two Transmission one air cooled and one water cooled. does the water cooled take a different Drive Shaft or the same? He has that also. They are for sale. I have no idea worth.He gave me no idea the value? It a nice Hoonyhole.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:24 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: What a 57 T Bird Dist, Carb and intake worth

If it is a tach drive dual advance distributor, I would hate to think the worth. But all of that would be nice.

Give you a big smile on your face when you drive it ...

You're not concerned with originality, just a clean driver?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:10 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: What a 57 T Bird Dist, Carb and intake worth

I ran some price checks on Evil-Bay -

INTAKE - https://www.ebay.com/p/1629754360

CARB - https://www.ebay.com/itm/15509762368...8AAOSwvXBi5WTT

TACH - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165594487181

ACL - https://jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre...a-nos.1156176/

Better eat your POST TOASTIES and have a stiff drink before opening. But what are you going to do if you want a nice time period driver?

OH! Save all the take-offs if you want to restore it one day or sell it.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 07-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
dmsfrr

Default Re: What a 57 T Bird Dist, Carb and intake worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I need to have a idea what a 57 Dist.,Carb and intake used worth? ... Yes he also has the AirCleaner very nice. He has two Transmission one air cooled and one water cooled. does the water cooled take a different Drive Shaft or the same? He has that also. They are for sale. I have no idea worth.He gave me no idea the value? It a nice Hoonyhole.
I'm guessing you're looking for a fair price to offer him that gets you a good deal and doesn't offend him.

First ask what he wants for it. He may say, 'make me an offer' because he doesn't really know either. After looking at the crazy prices on ebay consider 'offer' prices about half of those.

The item hardest to find in good shape is the '57 tach drive distributor. They didn't always get oiled regularly and the shaft bushings can be worn out, making the point gap / dwell unstable. If you prefer an original they aren't cheap, but they can be rebuilt. A year or two ago they were selling on ebay for $500 but aren't listed very often.
Off-shore reproductions are available.

A '57 style air cleaner with good chrome & no rust might be the next hardest thing to find.

If he's looking to clear stuff out of his garage and just wants it to go to a good home with someone who'll appreciate it he may consider lower 'give-away' prices. A couple more conversations with him might let you know which way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 dist, oil fitting.jpg (42.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 57 dist (resized).jpg (38.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 57-59 dist, straight arm advance.jpg (75.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg tired 57 air cleaner.jpg (91.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 07-31-2022 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
55blacktie

I posted a 57 Tbird distributor for sale on several forums, including this one, for $700, but no takers. I've seen them listed on ebay for much more, but they're not moving. Considering you want the parts for your 56, you're not concerned about 100% originality. You could get a new CRT electronic tach-drive distributor/w adjustable vacuum advance for about $250. Yes, it's made in China; nevertheless, Ted Eaton (eatonbalancing.com) tested one and was satisfied with the results.

$300 is a high ballpark figure for a 57 4-bbl intake manifold. $400 for a professionally rebuilt OEM carburetor. An original 57 dress-up air cleaner assembly in excellent condition $300.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
paul2748

500 to 600 for a 57 distributor.

There are aftermarket (electronic) with tach drive for much less. Come with coil Hear they are pretty good.

After fighting ignition issues for a year, I went with an electronic (pertronix) ignition and it seems to have fixed everything. Can't buy decent condensers anymore (like the fuel pumps), hear points are starting to be a problem

American manufacturers have seemed to do all their manufacturing business with china, one of our biggest enemies. All so they exec's can get bigger salaries. Quality has gone out the window
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
Old Redneck

You Fellows have help me a lot. Now I have a better idea. I got my Bird running very nice now.I was a bit hot when I saw what he had but I have cooled off where now I don't know. Getting the NOS Turn Signal Switch I needed. It cost me $80.00 which was not cheap. A repo if you can find one 56.00. He had 3 NOS and several used ones.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: What a 57 T Bird Dist, Carb and intake worth

Quote:
A year or two ago they were selling on ebay for $500 but aren't listed very often.
Maybe why the listings are getting fewer and more expensive.

There are those that prefer OEM over CHINESIUM. CHINESIUM HEI is for the owner that has a driver. The real thing is for the owner that has a little self-respect and wants to maintain the value of the car.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-31-2022, 07:41 PM   #9
paul2748

Actually, you got a bargain if NOS. CASCO lists the switch for 104.75. I just bought a used one ( fully tested) for 48 including shipping.

Quote:
You Fellows have help me a lot. Now I have a better idea. I got my Bird running very nice now.I was a bit hot when I saw what he had but I have cooled off where now I don't know. Getting the NOS Turn Signal Switch I needed. It cost me $80.00 which was not cheap. A repo if you can find one 56.00. He had 3 NOS and several used ones.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
37 Coupe

Quote:
I need a switch for my '55 but I think it is different than '56 and '57? Does the guy you bought from do any shipping?
Old 08-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: What a 57 T Bird Dist, Carb and intake worth

The biggest problem here is this guy sitting on this stuff, maybe not realizing what he has and how many people would want it.

How much stuff is forgotten and hidden away?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-01-2022 at 07:52 PM. Reason: POOR GRAMMAR
Old 08-01-2022, 07:44 PM   #12
Old Redneck

37 Coupe. He 84 noe with a pacemaker I will ask him. He 56 and 57 mostly. I should see him tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:52 PM   #13
paul2748

This is my pet peeve - hoarders who have these big "collections" that don't want to sell or looking for big bucks on an ordinary item. Then they pass, and the parts go to scrap because the relatives want nothing to do with the parts. As bad as the person who say "I'll fix it up some day".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The biggest problem here is this guy is sitting on this stuff, maybe not realizing what he has and how many people would want it.

How much stuff is forgotten and hidden away?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #14
miker98038

At some point you have to look at your wallet, and where you want to end up. A 57 tach drive will never be correct on a 56. A late model manifold and “correct” carb will never be correct on a 56. They may have value elsewhere as in resale, and will work.

On the other hand, if there’s a repo dizzy unit that’s good and 1/3rd the money? Or a Mummert manifold that’s less than on original? Paint it. The carb is even a tougher decision, there’s some pretty good (read better) new ones for a fraction of a correct core and complete restoration.

I appreciate correct restorations. But I never saw my way clear to affording one.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #15
Old Redneck

You are right about putting 57 intake and carb on my 56. I got my 56 running very nice now. I am going to leave it that way. I am going to keep my 56 pretty much stock except I did put Air Conditioning, Electric fuel Pump, Electric Fans in front of the Radiator and Gauges Oil,Temp and Amp Gauge. I did change the size of the Steering Wheel [Smaller]. I might later put Bucket Seats in the car because my wife is short and when she drives my knees are behind my head.I want the T-Bird for her to drive it and enjoy it. my granddaughters always want to drive it when they are here.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:42 PM   #16
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
This is my pet peeve - hoarders who have these big "collections" that don't want to sell or looking for big bucks on an ordinary item. Then they pass, and the parts go to scrap because the relatives want nothing to do with the parts. As bad as the person who say "I'll fix it up some day".
That is so true.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #17
blucar

One of the contributions to this thread mentioned a "Dual Vacuum" advance distr which is -56 only. The '57 distr is single advance with a mechanical drive for the tach.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:16 PM   #18
cokefirst

All of the early Thunderbirds (1955-1957 model year) had a mechanical tach drive distributor. the vacuum advance is stand alone on the 1955 and 1956 model year and is a Holley design Load-o-matic vacuum advance. The 1955 had a single diaphragm advance unit, the 1956 had a double diaphragm advance and the 1957 had a combination of mechanical and vacuum advance. the 1957 is a technically superior design.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #19
CSPIDY

Ken, you should purchase a 57 carb and intake that is still attached to the 57 Tbird
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #20
55blacktie

Just to clarify things for anyone who doesn't know, "stand alone," in this case, doesn't mean that the 55-56 vacuum advance is divorced/separated from the distributor. What it means is that the 55-56 "Loadomatic" distributor is a vacuum-advance-only distributor. The 57-up V8 distributors have both vacuum and mechanical/centrifugal advance. Ford continued to use the Loadomatic distributor on 6-cyl. applications through the early 60s.

By the way, the 55 "Teapot" carb does have a divorced choke that is mounted on the intake manifold, not the carburetor.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote