Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2022, 05:46 AM   #41
PeteVS

Default Re: Notes on a roadster windshield

You need a "Fordier" steering wheel.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #42
GB SISSON

I agree with you Pete! I actually have a pet peeve about frame swaps that get it close but the hideous modern tilt steering column and wheel give it away at a glance. I was sort of hoping to keep the column because I like that everything mechanical is still as the engineers at toyota designed it. With the plastic sleeve removed and the rather plain black wheel, I'm figuring it's an ok compromise. There are 2 u-joints in the shaft and it looks hard to alter. Ok, it's my last excuse but keep in mind I have owned this old wagon for most of my adult life. My 4 kids (28-41 yrs old) all grew up with it and did their road test for driver license, snuck it 4 wheeling, crashed it and got tickets in it..... We also took many extended road trips pulling a 15' aloha travel trailer, even drove it to the East Coast. The vehicle was finally decomissioned and used for a mule around the property, keeping four tire chains on it year 'round. Since I gave it new life last year I have enjoyed holding onto the familiar wheel, shifting through the smooth 4 speed and even glancing down at the original three pedals gives me a certain joy. Journeying way off subject, vehicle has 198,000 on the clock, the inline six has never had so much as the head off. Shows 70 lbs oil pressure all day on the SW mechanical gauge and the compression ranges from a low of 159 to a high of 170.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #43
pistonbroke

Hi Gary, If I were in your shoes I think I would be doin a custom C cab with a split windshield. That being said a split V with just the upper outer corners radiused should do the trick for your open cab I would think. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:19 AM   #44
GB SISSON

Thanks all for your suggestions and commentary. I'm so close to getting some plexiglass in but work and family stuff has me driving in the wind. Last week I put a piece of stainless trim up the center of the windshield. Probably will be painted at some point. I like a good raccoon tail so I found an antenna base on ebay and welded up some rod to a tall fine thread nut to create a mast, topped with a 7 dollar coon tail, also from the 'bay. Today I picked up 30 redwood pickle tank staves, 2 1/2"x5 1/2" x 100" that I will resaw for a client who wants an outdoor dining set. Only needed about 15, but they were so nice I bought all he had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coontail 1.jpg (123.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg coontail 2.jpg (155.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg at montgo.jpg (170.4 KB, 86 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:06 AM   #45
flatford8

I’m lovin’ that thing !!......it looks like a bunch of fun........plus it earns its keep hauling stuff!!.....do have a mate to each side view mirror?......I like the round ones but the rectangle is a lot easier to see where you been......you’re doing a heck of a job out there bud!!!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #46
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
A bones, I want to thank you for your enthusiastic remarks yesterday. You are way too kind.
Heading out for another day's progress.
My wife will be on the 7:25 ferry leaving Anacortes . That gets her home (exhausted) about 10 pm tonight. I better hurry!
No No Stating the truth is only that.
First off I have not been around like I was.
But I've been treated to many of your challenges.
Always, you rise to meet the need of your projects, Consuming a minimum of resources.
And that's a fact. You are a master.

O h just a thought, while it would not be in keeping the style of your builds.... that butt---steering wheel--- knee snag thing--- might just be livable, with a boat wheel. Keeping in mind that your roads aren't the best, and a smaller wheel means a bigger arm and grip presence. Likely though, I guess, you haven't much tight parallel parking to put up with.

Last edited by A bones; 07-21-2022 at 08:49 AM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:19 AM   #47
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions and commentary. I'm so close to getting some plexiglass in but work and family stuff has me driving in the wind. Last week I put a piece of stainless trim up the center of the windshield. Probably will be painted at some point. I like a good raccoon tail so I found an antenna base on ebay and welded up some rod to a tall fine thread nut to create a mast, topped with a 7 dollar coon tail, also from the 'bay. Today I picked up 30 redwood pickle tank staves, 2 1/2"x5 1/2" x 100" that I will resaw for a client who wants an outdoor dining set. Only needed about 15, but they were so nice I bought all he had.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete! Did some more welding/grinding with 3/8" square stock in preparation of having some glass in this thing. The wind noise is really getting to me, and along with no floor over the transmission and transfer case it can't be good for my recently compromised hearing (Remember that 12 ply michelin recap).
Old 07-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #49
cas3

Hey GB, many years ago we had a big pickle factory here, and they switched over to fiberglass tanks. A couple of my carpenter friends got permission to take all they want of the old wooden tanks, some kinda southern cypress if I recall correct. They were very excited about it, 3" thick in the floors, and of coarse all clear. They spent weeks tearing them apart, many loads piled up at home. First project was a play center for his kids. They soon found that the lumber was so saturated with salt that all the tools , saw blades , and even the nails and screws rusted quite badly , and very quickly. I think most of it went in the wood stove the next winter. Who am I to tell you about wood, you probably know all this already...carry on ! Oh...Cool truck too !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:00 PM   #50
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Hey GB, many years ago we had a big pickle factory here, and they switched over to fiberglass tanks. A couple of my carpenter friends got permission to take all they want of the old wooden tanks, some kinda southern cypress if I recall correct. They were very excited about it, 3" thick in the floors, and of coarse all clear. They spent weeks tearing them apart, many loads piled up at home. First project was a play center for his kids. They soon found that the lumber was so saturated with salt that all the tools , saw blades , and even the nails and screws rusted quite badly , and very quickly. I think most of it went in the wood stove the next winter. Who am I to tell you about wood, you probably know all this already...carry on ! Oh...Cool truck too !
I have been told how salty it is, and have used it for outdoor tables in the past with stainless screws and 3m 5200 adhesive. Spendy , but so is this outdoor furniture I wish this was cypress, not redwood. Cypress is great boat planking, and a nice color too. Ok, speakiong of boats, headed out for an early Friday quit and setting shrimp pots!