Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #21
55blacktie

Default Re: What type of rear axle does 1956 Thunderbird have?

The Tbird spring perches are different. They're similar to lowering blocks, in that they were designed to lower the back of the car.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:32 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Post Re: What type of rear axle does 1956 Thunderbird have?

But it is still a DANA 44.

The spring perches are different as to determine vehicle trim height. That is an add-on part of the axle housing assy which gave it a unique SERVICE PN as compared to PASS CAR or LT.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #23
55blacktie

The spring perches on 55-57 Tbirds are not add-on; they are welded to the axle housing and came that way when they rolled off the assembly line. My 55 Tbird has been in the family for 50 years. No lowering blocks were ever added.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #24
KULTULZ

Question Re: What type of rear axle does 1956 Thunderbird have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

But it is still a DANA 44.

The spring perches are different as to determine vehicle trim height. That is an add-on part of the axle housing assy which gave it a unique SERVICE PN as compared to PASS CAR or LT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post

The spring perches on 55-57 Tbirds are not add-on; they are welded to the axle housing and came that way when they rolled off the assembly line. My 55 Tbird has been in the family for 50 years. No lowering blocks were ever added.
Quote:
The spring perches on 55-57 Tbirds are not add-on;
Really? You're saying they just grew there?

So they are add-on (at manufacture) to make the housing assembly unique to the 55/56 BIRD, to differentiate the housing assy from being used on other applications. And I bet those perches carry unique ENGINEERING PART NOS so the guys will know which bin to reach in before welding.

And I bet FORD used a unique ASSEMBLY PART NO and SERVICE PART NO to allow assembly and service to realize the difference.

Your has been in your family for fifty years? Good! I hope you enjoy the car.

What does this have to do with the discussion that most of the internal parts are the same between PASS CAR, LT and BIRD?

Give it a rest, will 'ya?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 07-09-2022, 12:05 AM   #25
rotorwrench

The axle in my 51 Mercury cars is the same as the F1 pickup of that year except for the spring mounts. A person has to cut the welds and swap the mounts to use one for the other.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:52 AM   #26
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: What type of rear axle does 1956 Thunderbird have?

Quote:
Took one look and said “those are truck bearings”. So somewhere along the line my bird got a 4:11 truck rearend put in it. They were pretty common in wrecking yards. Probably explains why the spring perch welds looked like a morning job after a 3 day weekend.

Some people will tell you this is actually a 45, or a 43, not a Dana 44. I don’t know.
Well, this is the problem FORD, for whatever reason(s), did not identify rears (integral or non-integral) in either the WSM or MPC during the fifties. Same with STD TRANS. Either there is another source on the info or the TRANS TECH knew the differences.

This is also compounded that the rear was used for so many years, little online info is available for the early rears. Most everything is referenced for later LT.

You can go by CASTING ID (44) and attached tags if any (and like CARB ID TAGS - they were usually discarded).

Supposedly there is information stamped on an axle tube that will give you all you need but I never fooled with them (why when a FORD 9" is the ultimate solution) and have never chased it.

If someone had one out and was willing to go through the drill, it would answer a lot.

BTW - Just Say No To C-CLIPS.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 07-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #27
zuburg

Thanks to all the information and suggestions. With a friend’s help to cut off the old bearing and press on the new one, I was successful in replacing my rear axle bearing.

I have to say, the technique of connecting a heavy chain to the hub with a lug nut was key to breaking the axle free. It only took a few jerks on the chain to free it up. Also, borrowing tools from Autozone gave me what I needed to easily remove the old oil seal from the axle tube and press in the new seal.
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote