Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
Orlfire53

Default 28 A CCPU Seat securing issue

Recently purchased my 1st A, a 1928? CCPU. When starting it, the seat cushion will slid forward as I push on the starter. I removed the seat cushion from what appears to be the correct riser but found nothing that appears to be a bracket/clamp/etc that secures the cushion to the riser. The cushion was basically sitting on the riser. Both cushions have been reupholstered at some point but I don’t know if the seat frame is correct for the model year. Any suggestions, ideas, insight would be greatly appreciated.
Orlfire53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
Neil Wilson

Default Re: 28 A CCPU Seat securing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlfire53 View Post
Recently purchased my 1st A, a 1928? CCPU. When starting it, the seat cushion will slid forward as I push on the starter. I removed the seat cushion from what appears to be the correct riser but found nothing that appears to be a bracket/clamp/etc that secures the cushion to the riser. The cushion was basically sitting on the riser. Both cushions have been reupholstered at some point but I don’t know if the seat frame is correct for the model year. Any suggestions, ideas, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Post pictures of what you have. Why make us guess? Perhaps you don't have the correct seat bottom and/or riser.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
katy

The seat cushion should have 2 little "fingers", one on the left front, one on the right front, there should be 2 corresponding "pockets" on the seat riser to accept them.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
bruceincam

I have a '30 truck. My rear cushion hangs from three brackets mounted to the wood rail on the rear of the cab. The bottom cushion sits on the seat riser just as yours does and is fixed in place by one bolt on each side that rises up out of the front edge of the riser ---- maybe an inch. The wood base of the bottom cushion has a matching hole through it on each side that sits over the bolt.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
Bob C

Here is a picture of the 82A seat bottom that Marco posted, the arrows show the brackets that hold the cushion in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82a-51.jpg (103.1 KB, 92 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
Ivan in southeast va.

I had the same problem with my 31 pickup. Put the bottom cushion in first and then the back cushion. The back cushion helps hold the bottom in place for me.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
Keith True

If you are missing those tangs hanging down under the seat spring,you are going to have to devise something to go in their place.If you have a wood base under the spring,it is not a truck seat.A LOT of them have had other cushions installed.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
1955cj5

Seat riser retainers for seat spring/cushion tangs.....'29 ccpu....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1164.jpg (92.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan in southeast va. View Post
I had the same problem with my 31 pickup. Put the bottom cushion in first and then the back cushion. The back cushion helps hold the bottom in place for me.
On my '31 CCPU the seat back cushion is fixed in place, no way can the bottom cushion be put in first.
Is it as original? I have no way of knowing.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #10
Ivan in southeast va.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
On my '31 CCPU the seat back cushion is fixed in place, no way can the bottom cushion be put in first.
Is it as original? I have no way of knowing.
I couldn't get the "fingers" to go into the "pockets", so I put the seat cushion down and all the way back and then I set the back cushion into the pointy clips and down onto the bottom cushion. I don't know but it seems to work for me.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #11
Keith True

The fingers don't go into those pockets.They just rest along the straight side of them.Keeps you from sliding side to side.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
Orlfire53

Would like to add photos but can’t seem to figure out how to do that. I see no tabs, flanges, bolts, or other protrubances attached to the seat cushion. The seat base (riser) is metal. It has 2 round openings to the rear of the truck cab (that something may go into) and 2 tabs, tangs, brackets on the front of the riser. Nothing on the seat cushion to go into any of these. Wood for back of seat has 2 L-shaped, pointed tabs secured to the wooden frame and 2 clamp type anchors near the top of the seat back anchored to the rear of the truck cab. Wrong seat base? Wrong riser for seat cushion? Or just fabricate something to secure the cushion? And if you’re all confused, I get it. So am I.
Orlfire53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #13
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlfire53 View Post
Would like to add photos but can’t seem to figure out how to do that. I see no tabs, flanges, bolts, or other protrubances attached to the seat cushion. The seat base (riser) is metal. It has 2 round openings to the rear of the truck cab (that something may go into) and 2 tabs, tangs, brackets on the front of the riser. Nothing on the seat cushion to go into any of these. Wood for back of seat has 2 L-shaped, pointed tabs secured to the wooden frame and 2 clamp type anchors near the top of the seat back anchored to the rear of the truck cab. Wrong seat base? Wrong riser for seat cushion? Or just fabricate something to secure the cushion? And if you’re all confused, I get it. So am I.

Orlfire53, email your photos to [email protected] with your questions.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #14
baba

The wooden seat base for my 29 coupe had two "metal knobs" attached to the front underside. They did not fit into any holes, just fit against the inside of the metal seat riser.
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:06 AM   #15
rotorwrench

This link illustrates the floor and seat base for the early style closed cab pick up or truck cab. Several of the photos show the base and the triangle shaped clips that are likely spot welded on to hold the seat cushion spring extended loops from moving forward or side to side. Rearward movement would depend on the dimensions of the seat cushion spring assembly and what ever it bumps against in the rear. I have no idea whether the cushion spring assembly protruding loops fit into those or adjacent to them but this would require that the seat spring be of original type and dimension for it all to fit and function as it should.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19290361419...gAAOSwYbdcUgRJ

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-29-2022 at 11:12 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote