Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Anyone else heard or know?

I had a customer of mine tell me yesterday that GM is going to close the majority of there engine factories and quit producing aftermarket fuel burning motors by 2025 as part of the goal of being 100% EV by 2035......ANYONE heard about this OR have heard IF the "Blue Oval" is following suit?? Sounds as IF "crate motors" are to be the "FIRST" casualty of the car collecting hobby.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Anyone else heard or know?

Ford already offers an “Electric Crate Motor”. Already on back order.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

None of my cars have "crate motors". Likely not affecting me. Will rebuild what I have if necessary.
I haven't heard anyone address that you can fill up your car with fuel in a few minutes and recharging an electric vehicle can take hours. How is that going to work even if we had enough excess power on the grid? Sounds like massive backups at the recharge stations.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
russcc

Hertz recently order 100,000, Tesla's for their fleet. Tesla has more market value than Ford. All that shouldn't effect EV8 guys except the price of good blocks will likely rise. There are upsides and downsides to electric cars, as with almost anything.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

It might be a good time to get into battery recycling a ground floor investment?
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
It might be a good time to get into battery recycling a ground floor investment?

About three weeks ago, I had a brain-fart, contemplating getting into commercial charging stations for the masses that will be needing to re-charge their daily-drivers while at work, for instance. It took me about three minutes worth of research to realize that I was a little late for that game.

I STILL don't understand how California proposes charging ALL of the new electric cars that are coming, when they can't even keep the power on TODAY just to run refrigerators and TVs. I just cannot imagine what it is that keeps people wanting to continue to live in that wonderfully 'together' state. It don't sound all that good from out here. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
mfirth

What happens when an electric car gets in a flood hmmmmmm ?
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
flatford8

Not that it has much to do with the discussion, but didn’t Hertz file for bankruptcy protection in the first covid wave. My wife worked for them in 2019 and received a lot of correspondence about legal claims due to bankruptcy. Don’t know where they’d get the money for 100,000 Tesla’s. But like the man above says What Do I Know!!!.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
51 MERC-CT

From one of the stops at the local recharge station

Old 12-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I STILL don't understand how California proposes charging ALL of the new electric cars that are coming, when they can't even keep the power on TODAY just to run refrigerators and TVs. I just cannot imagine what it is that keeps people wanting to continue to live in that wonderfully 'together' state. It don't sound all that good from out here. DD
And we on the Best Coast likewise are puzzled as to why anyone would choose to live anywhere but here.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
And we on the Best Coast likewise are puzzled as to why anyone would choose to live anywhere but here.

Yeah, like these people....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 12-08-2021 at 12:31 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #12
GB SISSON

I live on the left coast but all it ever does up here is RAIN
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #13
fordor41

talked to a guy that has a Tesla and it goes like 450 mi. on a charge and will recharge in 1 hr. It's called a super charged Tesla and yes I heard that GM will go all electric.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #14
GB SISSON

As long as we don't mess with their thing, why would they mess with ours? We are a teeny tiny drop in the bucket of dino fuel users.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:33 PM   #15
cas3

They want us gone. They can not just say no, you cant play anymore, but they will force us out once the electrics tip the scale with higher taxes for plates, and gas so high you will "need" to go electric
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:51 AM   #16
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Yeah, like these people....

Yep, those sun worshipers are highly influential with the new generation of City Council Members everywhere you go.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #17
Terry,OH

I think it was Motor Trend that just devoted an entire month issue to EV. Battery technology is about 10 years away from a much lower cost and longer range, faster recharging battery, to put into production. The lower cost battery will make EV about the same cost, OR, less to own as gas cars over a 5 year period. GM will still be making gas powered large truck type vehicles. Ford is in the same boat. At this time Tesla has the longest range battery at about 450 miles in just one of their models. The recharge times from nearly dead to full charge are about 8 hours at this point. It's going to take a lot of time to drive from coast to coast. Your going to see a lot less long distance driving except for large trucks.
A lot of buyers forget about recharging. It appears the chargers can run up to about $600. PLUS the cost of labor and material for installation in a garage by an electrician add up to $2,000. in some areas of the country.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 12-08-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

I've been thinking about this since the post went up. I'd like to know what energy sources they are planning to use to power the grid to charge this massive fleet of electric cars in 2030.

As it stands now, I believe renewable energy sourced account for only 19.8% of our resources.

Unless our electric grid is upgraded at an unbelievable rate, we'll need to fall back on fossil fuel powered electric plants, which would seem to have a negative impact on the clean aspect of all these electric vehicles.

I'm assuming that hydrogen fuel cells are out of the running? That seemed to have a lot of promise since hydrogen is abundant (albeit highly flammable) and the byproduct of hydrogen combustion is H20.

I do believe the genie is out of the bottle in regards to electric vehicles, but I just can't imagine to environmental impact of trashing all the left over fossil fueled vehicles. It wasn't too long ago that your local wrecking yard were deemed hazardous waste sites that needed soil remediation.

I'd have to assume there would need to be a long ramp to phase these vehicles out. Hopefully I'll be taking a nice dirt nap by the time that happens.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-08-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #19
1952henry

[QUOTE=Terry,OH;2083444]I think it was Motor Trend that just devoted an entire month issue to EV. Battery technology is about 10 years away from a much lower cost and longer range, faster recharging battery, to put into production. The lower cost battery will make EV about the same cost, OR, less to own as gas cars over a 5 year period. GM will still be making gas powered large truck type vehicles. Ford is in the same boat. At this time Tesla has the longest range battery at about 450 miles in just one of their models. The recharge times from nearly dead to full charge are about 8 hours at this point. It's going to take a lot of time to drive from coast to coast. Your going to see a lot less long distance driving except for large trucks.
A lot of buyers forget about recharging. It appears the chargers can run up to about $600. PLUS the cost of labor and material for installation in a garage by an electrician add up to $2,000. in some areas of the country.[/QUOT

Curious, would chargers (2 per average household) work with older homes' 100 amp panels?
Old 12-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #20
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I think it was Motor Trend that just devoted an entire month issue to EV. Battery technology is about 10 years away from a much lower cost and longer range, faster recharging battery, to put into production. The lower cost battery will make EV about the same cost, OR, less to own as gas cars over a 5 year period. GM will still be making gas powered large truck type vehicles. Ford is in the same boat. At this time Tesla has the longest range battery at about 450 miles in just one of their models. The recharge times from nearly dead to full charge are about 8 hours at this point. It's going to take a lot of time to drive from coast to coast. Your going to see a lot less long distance driving except for large trucks.
A lot of buyers forget about recharging. It appears the chargers can run up to about $600. PLUS the cost of labor and material for installation in a garage by an electrician add up to $2,000. in some areas of the country.
I am wondering where ALL the raw materials for ALL these batteries going to come from? Especially what are considered "precious" raw materials which most come from NOT friendly sources.....What environmentally sensitive areas will NOW be mined to supply this demand?? Fattening frogs to feed snakes?? ALSO its funny how the EV charge (no pun intended) is being led by the environmentalist YET these "FAST" charging stations NEED a large capacity A/C cooling system to cool the batteries and charging units as they charge SO how much more "Freon" will be needed for ALL these new public "fast" charging systems and what will be released into the atmosphere?? AND then ALL of the toxic waste from all the mining, manufacturing and especially the disposal of all the NON reusable materials used. NOT even started on the amount of Electricity that will be needed as tens of millions of people get home everyday and plug their cars in to charge everyday, think of that load demand on the power grid!!!! Sounds like an environmental disaster to me!!! Anyone have a spare bottle of "Colonel Harvey's Elixir" they could spare, I need some?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote