Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #61
sugarmaker

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Gary,
I agree on the heat thing. I have quickly gotten spoiled having some heat in the shop too. Now I need to get the ambition to get out and do something!
I like your king pin removal tool! Its all about the tooling! I have not been on here enough to know about the wooden honing spoon?
Your system of cleaning and painting is very similar to mine. Have you ever tried electrolysis process for parts cleaning? I should set up my tank again and get something going. But right now I need to complete projects in the shop.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #62
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
I agree on the heat thing. I have quickly gotten spoiled having some heat in the shop too. Now I need to get the ambition to get out and do something!
I like your king pin removal tool! Its all about the tooling! I have not been on here enough to know about the wooden honing spoon?
Your system of cleaning and painting is very similar to mine. Have you ever tried electrolysis process for parts cleaning? I should set up my tank again and get something going. But right now I need to complete projects in the shop.
Regards,
Chris

YOU needing ambition? Heck, you get more done in a month than many do in a year. I am planning to insulate and heat a 14' x 28' section of my truck shop. No access to park a vehicle because of terrain and door situation, but would be a nice place to rebuild carbs, door innards, do some parts painting, welding etc. As far as the spoon is concerned, stay tuned for a video.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #63
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
YOU needing ambition? Heck, you get more done in a month than many do in a year. I am planning to insulate and heat a 14' x 28' section of my truck shop. No access to park a vehicle because of terrain and door situation, but would be a nice place to rebuild carbs, door innards, do some parts painting, welding etc. As far as the spoon is concerned, stay tuned for a video.

Wood stove? I'm betting you have plenty of leftover scraps to feed it. But then again an open flame around gas and other cleaning chemicals in a shop might not be a good idea. Maybe outside and ducted in?
Old 01-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #64
sugarmaker

Gary,
Get that shop with some heat! You have a lot of things going all the time! Still learning about Ford jailbars here!
Keep us up to date on the green truck progress!
Electrolysis?? If you haven't tried it, I think you would like it! If you have then you know the ins and outs.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-05-2022, 09:32 PM   #65
GB SISSON

I keep the solvents a good distance from the stove. But I couldn't have the stove outside. I have heated my home with wood for 43 years, and my current woodshop for 37 years. I love the way the warmth sinks into the old bones and look forward to getting this one hooked up, but first a lot of insulating and sealing of drafts. My son and I pulled the front clip off this green truck before lunch today, Wednesday being the night my wife is on her 24 hr shift, I am heading down to do battle with more parts removal. Love the access with fenders and grill put away in a shed!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #66
cas3

I too have heated with wood most of my life. Shop, and house. Can't imagine not having a warm fire to sit by, and what do other folks do with oily rags and plastic packaging?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:53 PM   #67
cmbrucew

I found that locating the stove three feet from wall with a horizontal pipe before the elbow up gives more heat. The horizontal pipe act as a radiator instead of all the heat going up.

Bruce
Old 01-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #68
sugarmaker

Gary,
I am getting old and lazy. We heated with wood for 40 years in the house. Lots of work but loved the wood heat for warmth!
The shop got some heat in the floor and works well but you cant back up to it and cook like with a wood fire.
So currently I am making up for it with making maple syrup each spring. We burn about 5 cord in about 6 weeks. When I am done with firing the arch for the season I have had my fill of wood fire for a few days.
Sounds like your making good progress on the green truck!
We need some pictures too!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #69
GB SISSON

I'll get some maybe after dinner. She is stripped bare from the firewall forward. Well, still an axle and springs. The box comes off over the weekend. That way I can run all new brakelines and hoses. Spindles, backing plates etc are gathered round the cabinet shop's wood stove with primer drying. I picture this as a 'rolling barn find'.... But with that smooth H six, steers well, brakes completely new, state of the art 'used extension cord' wiring. It came with new recaps on the front and brand new 'store bought' Tornel 7.50x17 tractions on the rear. I will do some minimal rust repair but it will be camoflauged into the old faded paint.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:40 AM   #70
GB SISSON

The weather has moderated to our usual 45 degree daytime. So for now it's more importantant to me to get a bit of truck time. Still waiting for kingpins which were shipped about Christmas. In the meantime I bought the brake tubing and other stuff while it is apart and accessible. I don't know this truck's history, but it never had a heater.... Most of my trucks had six or eight holes for heater hose in the firewall. When the original heater gave out they';d grab one from grandpas' studebaker and drill more new holes. A guy needs to stay warm..... Funny, it never had a driver side sunvisor either. Never seen that. The passenger side was optioinal, but holes were never drilled for DS either. Another Great thing.... The frame number matches the wa state title I got with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg never had a heater 1.jpg (153.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg never had a heater 2.jpg (134.4 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-11-2022 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:53 AM   #71
flatford8

I’m so jealous of you guys with your rust free metal!!…….Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:50 AM   #72
Mart

It appears to have a lot of windshield wipers, GB. Well twice as many as my pickup. Odd given the no heater or sunvisor situation.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:35 AM   #73
PeteVS

Quote:
I don't know this truck's history, but it never had a heater....
Maybe it had a South Wind heater?
Old 01-11-2022, 07:24 AM   #74
sugarmaker

Gary,
Thanks. Pictures of your progress, bring us right up to speed with you. GREAT looking cab and sheet metal as Mark mentioned! I had never considered the extension cord wiring application. A new concept for me but actually not far from how I really do things in my world too. So will the truck get a Studebaker heater? I will stay tuned as the plot thickens!
Stay warm by that wood stove! I miss that heat! Another month and I will get my share for a month.
This is going to be a nice addition to the family.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-11-2022, 09:10 AM   #75
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
Thanks. Pictures of your progress, bring us right up to speed with you. GREAT looking cab and sheet metal as Mark mentioned! I had never considered the extension cord wiring application. A new concept for me but actually not far from how I really do things in my world too. So will the truck get a Studebaker heater? I will stay tuned as the plot thickens!
Stay warm by that wood stove! I miss that heat! Another month and I will get my share for a month.
This is going to be a nice addition to the family.
Regards,
Chris

Or maybe a Studebaker bed like what some old farmer did to mine back in the day?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3301.JPG (119.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3298.JPG (139.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3860.JPG (146.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:49 PM   #76
petehoovie

Quote:
The weather has moderated to our usual 45 degree daytime. So for now it's more importantant to me to get a bit of truck time. Still waiting for kingpins which were shipped about Christmas. In the meantime I bought the brake tubing and other stuff while it is apart and accessible. I don't know this truck's history, but it never had a heater.... Most of my trucks had six or eight holes for heater hose in the firewall. When the original heater gave out they';d grab one from grandpas' studebaker and drill more new holes. A guy needs to stay warm..... Funny, it never had a driver side sunvisor either. Never seen that. The passenger side was optioinal, but holes were never drilled for DS either. Another Great thing.... The frame number matches the wa state title I got with it!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #77
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Or maybe a Studebaker bed like what some old farmer did to mine back in the day?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:16 PM   #78
GB SISSON

Wow, been at a jobsite all day and returned to all the fun responses. Some may have noticed the old equipment seat in the truck. I have a rusty green tonner parts truck but it had a nice seat I got in Montana when I went there for a front clip for the tonner panel. I will use this seat in my current project. It had been recovered and only damage was a silver dollar size cigarette burn through at the drivers lap. Great Balls of fire! It has some deterioration being in this climate, but looks the part for this truck. The seat back is perfect. I will also use the steering wheel from the rusty truck as mine has many bad cracks. Here's some pics and Mark, speaking of rust free parts, these fenders are the best Montana has to offer. Came off a grain truck we parted out over there. They went on the panel. Oh, and look, that's a southwind heater in the rusty parts truck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oscar seat.jpg (136.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg tinman seat.jpg (37.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg tinman fender R.jpg (46.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg nice wheel in Oscar.jpg (124.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 PM   #79
cas3

Nice firewall. Many of the wrecks I bring home have the heater holes made with a hammer and chisel. The really skilled would drill 1/8" holes in a circle, then grab the hammer and chisel.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:40 PM   #80
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Nice firewall. Many of the wrecks I bring home have the heater holes made with a hammer and chisel. The really skilled would drill 1/8" holes in a circle, then grab the hammer and chisel.
A holesaw was a real luxury item back then. Even today a nice setup is big money if you don't use it for work. The 1/8" holes joined would certainly show that the job was done 'in a workmanlike manner'. I'd think that following up the procedure with a Large tapered punch or perhaps a broken truck axle could fold the tabs over and provide a nicer rest for the heater hoses. There I go 'Churchin it up' again.