Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
chuckwp

Default Horn Wiring

I am looking for ideas/advice on how to wire a horn ground (or, if it is even possible) using a Lincoln 12 wheel -see photos- and a '35 Ford column with a solid shaft.
The car is being fitted with a Vega box and solid steering shaft so, there is no running a wire through the shaft.
I am not sure how the original wheel, horn ring worked-what contacted what because the wheel hub is solid behind the horn ring. I can see that the horn ring/button is designed to be insulated from the steering wheel hub but, how did it work without a horn pin insulated from ground to make the connection between the horn ring and horn ground wire?
This car is also converted to 12 volts, using an AAW harness with a horn relay built into the fuse panel. The OE 6 volt horn will not be used but, retained for looks only. A modern 12 volt horn will be hidden somewhere.
I am starting to think this is not possible and may be resigned to a separate horn button.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JJ Wheel1.jpg (57.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg JJ wheel 3.jpg (55.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg JJ Wheel2.jpg (58.8 KB, 21 views)
chuckwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
koates

Default Re: Horn Wiring

If your steering shaft is a solid rod then there is no way of doing this unless you fabricated some kind of slip rings under the steering wheel. Use a separate mounted horn button I guess. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
tubman

You question might be more suited to the H.A.M.B. where they do things like this more often.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:16 AM   #4
chuckwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
If your steering shaft is a solid rod then there is no way of doing this unless you fabricated some kind of slip rings under the steering wheel. Use a separate mounted horn button I guess. Regards, Kevin.
Yes, I was pretty sure that there was no way but, sometimes people come up with things I never think of.
Going with horn button on column, dash or, maybe even floor!
chuckwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
fordor41

I have sort of the same problem on my '60. some one cut the horn wire to install an aftermarket wheel so no horn wire for my new stock wheel. I installed a momentary push button on the dash and epoxied a stock '60 knob on the button to blend in with all the rest of the knobs in the dash. so for only one person asked why I had an extra knob.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
Tinker

Well to describe the early description of how it works. There is a wire that runs up the steering that is connected to the button. That connects when pressed to the grounded column. The lighting is separate.

If you have had a 41/42-46 car and you get shocked when pressing the horn and having your elbow on the open window. you could concluded the live wire is shorting.

Be creative and make it happen. I'm not sure there is someone that has done it before. You might be the first. The concept is simple though.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:12 AM   #7
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Well to describe the early description of how it works. There is a wire that runs up the steering that is connected to the button. That connects when pressed to the grounded column. The lighting is separate.

If you have had a 41/42-46 car and you get shocked when pressing the horn and having your elbow on the open window. you could concluded the live wire is shorting.

Be creative and make it happen. I'm not sure there is someone that has done it before. You might be the first. The concept is simple though.
Tinker, Fantastic information, but , a pity it has nothing to do with the original question. You could also read post # 2 for a possible solution. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:26 AM   #8
GaryTx

Checkout Limeworks. I had a horn button I didn't like. I installed this kit now the horn ring works perfectly. https://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/R...-p/rhk1001.htm
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
cdan34

On my '39 Lincoln the steering shaft has hole running the length, through the steering box. This could take the hot wire and ground if needed. I don't think they had solid steering rods, but maybe.
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote