Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default Problems with Ford museum? I certainly hope not

As I am so close to being finished with the display engine, and being at a point to where it needs to be mounted on a proper display stand to fully assemble it, I called Josh Conrad, head honcho with the museum, to give him some figures on having a proper display stand built for the engine.

Josh had assured me in emails in April that the museum would spring for the costs of a stand, and that the engine would be on full display on the floor of the museum. I was somewhat taken aback when he seemed surprised about everything when I called asking for funds to pay for the display stand.

I have been asking for competitive bids and had two bids, one for $1,300 with no casters or powder-coat and one for $1,400.00 complete with casters, powder-coat and provisions for descriptive plaques on the engine, describing its history and stats, etc.

The first guy wanted me to deliver the engine to his place for design and assembly of the stand, which I am physically unable to do, while the second guy was local and will come by my place for all measurements, templates etc and deliver the finished product to me at my place.

Josh seemed almost totally surprised by the entire matter and stated he would have to discuss this with others in charge at the museum. Their next meeting is supposed to be tomorrow I believe it is.

Needless to say I am quite upset at this point.

Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Problems with Ford museum? I certainly hope not

I have yet to find a Museum that will pay for anything.Maybe the MMA.That is just my opinion. Did you save that email?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
TJ

Sheldon brings up a good point. Do you have the e-mails? If so those should be forwarded to the current Foundation President which is Craig Floyd. Not sure why this issue was posted here? It's between you and the Foundation.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
A bones

How bout some carpentry work?
My mind was picturing some nice 2 X 4s. Casters don't cost a whole lot.
I'm sure screws can add up but, come on now.
It can be done
Old 08-09-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
scicala

Sounds like museum owners are basicly CB's.
If they charge admission, they should be able to spend a dime.
After all, the engine is being donated.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

Okay.

1. Deuce lover: I never thought of asking the museum for any help with a stand until I mentioned here on the barn, having to build a suitable stand for the engine and my concerns about the cost, being on a fixed income. Someone on here suggested I ask the museum if they would pay for the stand, which I did and they, Josh, advised that they would. And yes. I saved the emails.

2. T.J.: I'm not as familiar with many of the real names of guys here as you are so I assume Sheldon is Deuce lover. I have not been active in the EFV8CA or the Foundation since the club pulled the rug out from under Jerry Grayson and me over the 35-36 Ford Pickup book several years back, so I do not know who Craig Floyd is, or his position. I mentioned it here for two reasons, first, because it was here someone suggested I ask the museum if they would pay for a nice display stand, and second, because I consider all vintage vehicle people, especially Ford folks, as extended family. I don't hold anything back, from anyone. That's just the way I'm made. I'm sorry if it doesn't sit well with some folks.

That all said; A bones. Sarcasm is not a virtue.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 08-09-2022, 06:01 PM   #7
35fordtn

475F9700-C886-4D7B-828D-6E390007DA9F.jpg

Lawson I built this display 32 engine out of junk parts in 8 hours. It sits in my office. Spray paint goes a long ways… anyways the stand it sits on is simple and cost me all of less than $30 to make

For the kind of money you are talking you could buy a KR wilson engine stand.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #8
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Okay.

1. Deuce lover: I never thought of asking the museum for any help with a stand until I mentioned here on the barn, having to build a suitable stand for the engine and my concerns about the cost, being on a fixed income. Someone on here suggested I ask the museum if they would pay for the stand, which I did and they, Josh, advised that they would. And yes. I saved the emails.

2. T.J.: I'm not as familiar with many of the real names of guys here as you are so I assume Sheldon is Deuce lover. I have not been active in the EFV8CA or the Foundation since the club pulled the rug out from under Jerry Grayson and me over the 35-36 Ford Pickup book several years back, so I do not know who Craig Floyd is, or his position. I mentioned it here for two reasons, first, because it was here someone suggested I ask the museum if they would pay for a nice display stand, and second, because I consider all vintage vehicle people, especially Ford folks, as extended family. I don't hold anything back, from anyone. That's just the way I'm made. I'm sorry if it doesn't sit well with some folks.

That all said; A bones. Sarcasm is not a virtue.
Lawson, I pointed out that Craig Floyd is the current President of the Foundation in my post. I still don't see an answer from you if you have the e-mails. Craig Floyd is easy to reach if you just call the Foundation number and they will give you Craig Floyd's e-mail or phone #. He will want to see you e-mails that you sent back and forth.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Lawson, I pointed out that Craig Floyd is the current President of the Foundation in my post. I still don't see an answer from you if you have the e-mails. Craig Floyd is easy to reach if you just call the Foundation number and they will give you Craig Floyd's e-mail or phone #. He will want to see you e-mails that you sent back and forth.
Yes, T.J., I read your post, but apparently you didn't read mine. Yes, I have the emails. Right now I consider the ball is in the Foundations court. I await their response to my conversation with Josh.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:51 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Attachment 496500

Lawson I built this display 32 engine out of junk parts in 8 hours. It sits in my office. Spray paint goes a long ways… anyways the stand it sits on is simple and cost me all of less than $30 to make

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Attachment 496500

Michael: If I could post pictures I would do so. I am technologically challenged and apparently also afflicted with some manner of a curse when it comes to posting pictures here on the barn. The stand I have in mind is like one that is in the Museum now which holds a cut away motor. The motor and stand were donated to the museum by way of a combined effort of two different Regional Groups or so the attached sign says. Simple stand, no frills. I approached about 6 different metal fabricators for quotes but I only had two that would even consider it. If you will PM me with a direct email address I will send you a photo of the stand I have in mind and you can post the picture for me without any comments other than a copy of this posting and a comment that this is a picture of the engine stand Lawson has in mind for his engine and that he asked me to post the picture for him. Thanks Lawson (And thanks again for all the help with the engine) I believe you have my email address but if not it is [email protected].

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 08-09-2022 at 08:04 PM.