Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
fortyonerag

Default Stationary engines good cores for rebuild?

The 221 in the 41 is getting a little smoky. I'm on the lookout for a decent core for a rebuild. Pref 59AB or 99AB. I was having a chat with a mechanic buddy about the possibility or rebuilding an old stationary mill (get set).

He told me that an ex stationary engines were less preferable for rebuild, but didn't get a chance to elaborate. It seemed a bit counter intuitive to be, but I have been plenty wrong before.

Old wives tale or should I steer clear of pumps and welders? If so, why?
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Stationary engines good cores for rebuild?

It always depends on how many hours of use it has had. An engine that was run for days at a time will have a lot of wear but one that was only used for emergency back up such as a generator set or occasionally for pneumatic power such as a compressor may still have some life left in it. Now days, any engine that has a block that isn't worn out, rusted up, or cracked due to overheating or winter freeze is one to get. Beggars can't be choosers so don't overlook any possibility.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
TJ

I suspect stationary motors are no different than old motors out of cars. Some good and some not. Out here the flatheads were used on wind machines for frost protection. The flatheads were taken down and replaced with Volkswagen motors. Many of the wind machine motors went into old Ford V-8s and ran just fine and some did not. Only a good inspection of the block will tell you if it's worth rebuilding or not.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #4
GB SISSON

25 years ago I was given a welder with a 59ab type engine. I was told it looked like a US Navy unit common around the shipyards. It was trailer mounted with dual vertical straight pipes. I got it running really nicely the day I towed it home, but under load it would soon shoot a geyser outa the radiator. Under load it would overheat very dramatically while I was busy welding. Tried all the usual shade tree fixes to no avail, but since then I have learned so much more about this problem thanks to this site. In a downsizing mood one day I gave it to a friend who had inherited a 40 ford with no engine. I later dropped by for a visit and the heads were off. Not only did it have that beautiful factory relief and no ridge at all, but he had it really clean and NO sign of even the slightest crack. Now That looked to be a really good candidate for a rebuild, or better yet a good runner as is. My .02
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #5
Ziggster

My C59A was an industrial engine of some type. Came with HD truck trans and large radiator. Was in pieces when I purchased it for $100. The machinist was surprised at how well the condition of the block was. Only a couple of “factory” Ford cracks.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote