Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default What Master Cylinder

I am putting '40 Ford Lockheed style brakes on my Model A. I am using a Vacuum type booster. Here's my question: what dual reservoir master cylinder would I want to use? It's my understanding that the original cylinder bore was 1 1/16" bore, Is that correct? The front and rear wheel cylinders are different bore sizes so how would that work with a dual Master? To top it off I am going to need to use a remote reservoir, Would that require a special master or would you just add a remote reservoir to a regular type master. Thanks!
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
AnthonyG

Default Re: What Master Cylinder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Dual master is nice but you probably realize it will not fit without modification to your car. There’s a neat kit a guy makes so u can use the stock ‘39-‘47 master cyl. In pre ‘39 Fords, Rick Lacy http://www.earlyv8garage.net . Not sure if cost now but a couple yrs ago it was about $400. Pretty neat set up. It’s gotten good reviews here on FB. I ran into some neck issues that stopped my install but have a friend installing this summer. I’m using the Post ‘39 Lockheed brakes on the rear & ‘47 Lincoln brakes on the front. The $400 was just for the master cyl conversion. He has everything u need for full conversion backing plates, brakes, drums, lines too in a much more expensive kit but all is available @ quite a few places more reasonable.
Good luck on the project.
Tony