Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #101
GB SISSON

Default Re: Covid excuse to play hookey

Finally started the windshield. I'm going with a V type roadster windshield but since I am anything but Boyd Coddington I am trying to stay away from the highly raked, chopped down look we so often see. I love the military flat windshields but I think this old jailbar wreck could use a bit of sportiness. My mind wandered to military aircraft as I love the exposed fasteners around the perimeter on a B-17 and other aircraft. My idea is the angle steel you see in the photos, a band of 3/8" key stock around the outer perimeter and a piece of matching steel strap on the inside. The 3/8 stock allows 1/4" safety glass and glass setting tape each side. 1/4-20 bolts sandwich it all together. I need to determine the height and a gentle curve across the top, two flat planes from the center post or whatever. I might bend an oak strip across and different heights to get a visual. This is a tough call getting this right. Right on a real roadster is one thing. Right on an Australian military rig is another.... Also, angled corners or radiused corners? I welcome photos. Am I opening up a can of worms?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadster WS 1.jpg (108.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster WS 2.jpg (113.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Roadster WS 3.jpg (94.4 KB, 206 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 07-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:16 PM   #102
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Finally started the windshield.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:22 AM   #103
Tinker

Interesting build. Looks like fun!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:08 AM   #104
cas3

I think you are on the right track, 2 piece V'd windshield. Look up some of those old open cab ice cream trucks for ideas. I recently did a thread on the hamb about the price of flat safety glass has doubled and one of the guys gave a nice detailed how to on cutting safety glass. Maybe you have a neighbor with a dead motor home or step van to get some glass for free. I'll post the link tomorrow
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:10 AM   #105
Tinker

Some race lexan will work too.

This might get boarder line if you start hanging rats from the mirror or welding chains or shit to things. Looks fun!

Last edited by Tinker; 07-05-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #106
GB SISSON

In the same way that my woodie wagon will never have a surfboard or surf sticker on it, this vehicle won't have any steel spider webs, hand grenade shift knobs, skulls or Navajo blanket seat covers. Both of those themes have been beaten into the ground.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #107
cas3

Here's the thread about cutting safety glass. Towards the bottom of page 1, and into page 2 are the lessons if you want to skip the jibber jabber https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...in-up.1263756/
Old 08-10-2022, 11:26 PM   #108
Tinker

How's this going? I like it.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #109
GB SISSON

Funny you should ask. I finally put 1/4" plexiglass in the frame yesterday afternoon. That's just to get a feel for installing the safety glass I will order soon. I had the plexi left over from making covid sneeze guards for a bunch of stores here. Took it to the 'Vintage Farming Days' show at Lynden Wa last week and it was a real hit. I will get a pic of the windshield with 'glass' in it later today. I decided to go with the perimeter of small through bolts with pan heads to sandwich the glass, as I was indfluenced by the windshield of a B 17 bomber. What might be described as the postwar 'Army Surplus' look. My wife and I took her 83 year old brother and his wife on a tour of the 80 acre show grounds while she stood on the right hand running board. (In low range 4wd.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linden 22 1.jpg (49.5 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-12-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #110
cas3

No rocking chair in the back for granny ?
Old 08-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #111
petehoovie

Quote:
Took it to the 'Vintage Farming Days' show at Lynden Wa last week and it was a real hit. I will get a pic of the windshield with 'glass' in it later today. I decided to go with the perimeter of small through bolts with pan heads to sandwich the glass, as I was indfluenced by the windshield of a B 17 bomber. What might be described as the postwar 'Army Surplus' look. My wife and I took her 83 year old brother and his wife on a tour of the 80 acre show grounds while she stood on the right hand running board. (In low range 4wd.)

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 08-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #112
RKS.PA

Gary, you sure did a beautiful job on that frame!! Who says woodworking skills aren't transferable!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:46 PM   #113
GB SISSON

Thanks all, here's a few pics from today. Next I have to install a cowl vent setup I got off a parts truck. There is literally a cutout in the firewall around the whole toyota six and the exhaust manifold is inches from my right foot. That was bearable while driving in the 40 mph wind, but now it's is hotter than the hinges of hell so I need the downdraft of the flap in front of the windshield. Then I will create a removeable doghouse and tranny hump with some dyna mat stuck under it. You might see a gray marine engine on some planks I picked up at the meet. 1 cyl, 2 stroke, 1906-1914, about 3 hp. I have a shaft, prop, stuffing box and bronze rudder and skeg that I picked up 20 years ago. Next winter a 16' flat bottomed skiff?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plex 1.jpg (141.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg plex 2.jpg (137.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg plex 3.jpg (133.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg plex 4.jpg (147.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 08-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #114
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks all, here's a few pics from today. Next I have to install a cowl vent setup I got off a parts truck. There is literally a cutout in the firewall around the whole toyota six and the exhaust manifold is inches from my right foot. That was bearable while driving in the 40 mph wind, but now it's is hotter than the hinges of hell so I need the downdraft of the flap in front of the windshield. Then I will create a removeable doghouse and tranny hump with some dyna mat stuck under it. You might see a gray marine engine on some planks I picked up at the meet. 1 cyl, 2 stroke, 1906-1914, about 3 hp. I have a shaft, prop, stuffing box and bronze rudder and skeg that I picked up 20 years ago. Next winter a 16' flat bottomed skiff?????

Old 08-13-2022, 12:41 PM   #115
flatford8

Nice job on the windshield there bud !!.....now you won’t have to buckle the chin strap on your fuzzy hat!!!.....hope all is well....way over there.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #116
Mart

Can I just add my thumbs up for the windshield frame. Suitably industrial/agricultural/military look to it. It really suits it.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:58 PM   #117
GB SISSON

With no brim, coupled to the summer heat, my fuzzy earflap hat makes the day way hotter and offered no protection from the summer sun. Add shrimping and crabbing in my kid's boston whaler and my poor old nose was getting a royal sunburn.....Today we spent most of the day on the road in 85 degree sunshine so my wife bought me a wide brim straw hat with a chin strap and it stayed on all day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New straw hat.jpg (48.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-14-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #118
cas3

Good woman, Classy lookin dude !
Old 08-14-2022, 11:44 PM   #119
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Good woman, Classy lookin dude !
We work pretty hard at it....... No doubt
Old 08-15-2022, 01:33 AM   #120
petehoovie

Quote:
my wife bought me a wide brim straw hat with a chin strap and it stayed on all day!