Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2022, 03:51 AM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: A disapointed customerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Well son if a gun, my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me after all! It didn’t occur to me to consider the firing order! Coop, you get the chicken dinner ’cause your head is in the clouds unlike clouds in my head! Oh, the odd number of cilynders? Would that be to defeat any set of symbiotic vibrations that would occur with even numbered cylinders? (Poor wording, I know.)
Alan .....OK, this ought to let YOU off the hook for the chicken dinner, since you seem serious about wanting to understand. Keep in mind that the ODD number of cylinders has everything to do with FIRING ORDER. You have already looked at this simple firing order on the 5-cylinder radial engine.

On the 5-cylinder engine, #1 fires, skip ONE cylinder and #3 fires. Then we skip a cylinder and #5 fires. Then we skip #1, and #2 fires. Then we skip #3 and #4 fires. After #4-cylinder fires, the next in line to fire would be #1 since the order skips ONE cylinder (#5) before firing again. So let's add a #6-cylinder. It may help to sketch this out. Keep this 'new' engine configuration with #1 at the top. Looking from the rear of the engine, the firing order will rotate clockwise, skipping ONE cylinder every time before the next cylinder fires. So, with 6-cylinders, the first cylinder to fire would be #1. After skipping #2, #3 would fire. The next cylinder to fire in the sequence would be #5-cylinder since we skip ONE cylinder every firing. Remembering that we now need to skip a cylinder (#6), which would put us back at #1-firing....NOT #2-cylinder as it previously would have been with the ODD-NUMBERED 5-cylinder engine. The firing orders with EVEN NUMBERS of cylinders just will not work-out in "happy" fashion, no matter how many EVEN-numbered cylinders you have. Gotta be ODD numbers! Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:09 AM   #42

Don't let it bother you Charlie. We all know what a standup guy you are and what great work you do!
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:45 AM   #43
burnette

i know how you feel, been in busness all my life ! nothing crazyer than people !!!
its not your fault .
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:47 AM   #44
Jeff/Illinois

Charlie the fault is on this goofus not you.

Ford made it pretty straight forward how to CORRECTLY install these distributors the RIGHT way it's called Common Sense. You do it be 'feel' lining up the tang and then turning the body to line up the mounting holes. I don't know how much simpler Henry could have designed that. You take your time and don't heavy hand it. Go slow.

I'm no Flathead expert, I spent 50 years around Model A's, but I figured it out on our '36 PU with a 59AB Flattie without a lot of difficulty.

No Charlie, here it is a simple case of 'A chicken has a brain the size of a pea yet IT knows to come in out of the rain'. This guy is farther down the food chain than a chicken

Your work is impeccable and we all know it. Thank you for what you do.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:15 PM   #45
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
>>>Having installed a distributor the "wrong" way because the tang was worn enough to let is slip in, all I got was timing 180 out and no damage....but lesson learned....fortunately years ago.>>>

IMO, the hardly noticeable offset was one of Ford's lousier ideas to avoid being 180° out. It woulda been better to risk being 180° out with no offset.
Or maybe just something simple like a keyed shaft. The offset is only 1/16 of an inch - pretty easy to screw that up (especially if the engine is still in the car). The good news - you usually only make that mistake once . . . usually!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:40 PM   #46
Sal

He should not have tried to force it in place, by running the bolts down without the distributor seating where it belonged. If you repair a part for someone and they don't install it correctly it is not your fault. He should have spoken to a knowable person about installing it.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:16 AM   #47
fortyfords

No matter what kind of business you are in, there are those who screw up and want the business owner to eat the job or unhappy with your work so they can get a free job.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #48
AnthonyG

Hope ur customer is on the Barn & reads all the good testimonies about you, your rebuilt parts & Cudo’s in general! I for one compliment your work & help you offer politely taking the time required to assist. I’m sure many others feel the same!
Old 04-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #49
oldandtired

I obviously have too much time on my hands. Since I read the question about how to break an anvil with a rubber hammer, I have been trying to think of a way to do it.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:48 PM   #50
Karl

I admit I've installed a distributor on my 1934 with the tang round the wrong way
And yes cracked the body. My own Dumb fault - Don't blame any one but me . Not quite as easy as it sounds reaching down between the block and the radiator Trying to hold the distributor in place and trying to feel the tang is properly located. What I do now is use some carb mounting studs loosely screwed into the distributor bolt holes - when the tang is correctly position the body slams up tight against the block and then I replace the studs with bolts. You live and learn -Karl
Old 04-03-2022, 06:11 PM   #51
GB SISSON

Back in the pre-internet dawn of time I read every single book on flathead v8s. Even then there were many readily available lessons in how to get that tang aligned the correct way and avoid the dreaded Broken Ear.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #52
Jack E/NJ

OAT>>>Since I read the question about how to break an anvil with a rubber hammer, I have been trying to think of a way to do it.>>>

You don't have to think about it any more. Found the answer right here on the barn.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=26
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #53
Robz51

I recently installed a loadamatic you rebuilt in my merc. I used the MANuAL to install it and it worke great!
Rob

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Robz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:26 PM   #54
Rodrelic

I have a bushel of dist, crab and helmet. If someone needs a housing I can provide
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:05 PM   #55
AroundTheBlockEngines

As mentioned many times over, Charlie's service and advice has always been very appreciated over here! Any customer I send his way always returns with rave reviews as well.
Web: www.aroundtheblockengines.ca
Instagram: @aroundtheblockengines
AroundTheBlockEngines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #56
Rsb43

Your reputation is far superior than that of someone who may try and slander. New to the “old Ford v8” obsession, and your name is mentioned as one of the best by everyone I’ve spoken with.
Rsb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #57
fordv8j

an adult shouldsay oops I goofed and bear the cost himself; n0t expect someone else to pay for his mistakes, I did the same thing, but I didn't expect the builder to bear the cost, not his fault
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote