Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2022, 07:41 PM   #21
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Water pump install question

I vote for the Gasgacinch it's just hard to find where I live. And once you open it, it doesn't last very long. I just threw away a can of it today. I went to open it and instead of a liquid I had a yellow rubber band All we have left for parts stores is an Oreilleys and an AutoZone and they don't carry it, the Napa went out of business.

At the phone company we used Gasgacinch, the red high heat permatex silicone and the ultra black silicone. It depended on the condition of the machined surface and where the part was going. If it was a brand-new machined casting like a water pump I would use Gasgacinch on the water pump side of the gasket and then just a "little" silicone on the engine side of the gasket. My theory being that the block surface is usually scratched from the gasket removal and I felt that the silicone would do a better job of sealing any defects.

Gasgacinch is really neat stuff, you brush a little coating on the gasket and a llittle coating on the water pump and then let them dry for a couple minutes. Its contact cement so when the two touch pieces touch the gasket sticks and stays in place yet its easy to remove later onm the gasket will just peal right off. You don't know how many time I've seen guys goop silicone all over both sides of a water pump gasket and then when they tighten it up the gasket squeezes out of place. Then they don't notice it until everything is back together and they pour the coolant in and it runs out on the ground.

That can't happen if Gasgacinch is used. The Permatex brush on Gasket Maker is good stuff too but its thicker and a little messier, plus you might see a little bit of that purple sealer when your done The Gasgacinch leaves a nice factory looking gasket with no sign of any sealant squeezing out. It works great on automatic transmission pans and engine oil pan.

Its also easy to remove later on.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #22
AnthonyG

Is Hylomar hard to clean on part removal. Seems with a lot of the stuff used to seal gaskets becomes a real PIA to get off when prepping for new part install.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #23
AnthonyG

RTV seems pretty easy to clean with denatured alcohol.