Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
my mostly 36 coupe

Default 36, 5W rumble seat removal?

I've removed the four bolts at the flange to body connection. I then loosened the screw at each side of the axle thinking the axle would slide horizontally to one side or the other in order to release the back/lid assembly from the body bracket. Am I close or clueless? My goal is to get better access to the gas tank through the sending unit opening.
my mostly 36 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Alan O'Connell

Default Re: 36, 5W rumble seat removal?

What are you trying to do? I replaced the gas tank on my 35 cabriolet after the car was all assembled. Don't ask. I had to disconnect the two lines that secure to the sending unit. I didn't have to remove anything but the tank. You should be able to access the sending unit by opening the rumble seat lid part way until you can get your hand in to do whatever you need to do with the sending unit. Have your significant other or a friend hold the rumble seat lid in the position that allows you to get in there and work.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
my mostly 36 coupe

Ultimately, I'm trying to reach in the tank to reinstall the fuel line tube that goes near the bottom of the tank to the fuel line boss in the tank. From what I remember 10 years ago when I had this car running, I would need many gallons of gas in the tank to keep engine going since the fuel line connection is located about 1/4 of the tank depth. I was also hoping to slosh around a small amount of gas to clean the tank somewhat. I'm thinking of just extending the gas line deeper into the tank with a piece of copper tubing and coupling. I would add a filter in the line as well.
I just reread your post and I'm thinking didn't you have to disconnect the filler neck to take out the tank? If so how is filler neck disconnected from the tank? Thanks Alan.
Tom
Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #4
flatheadfan

Alan-

Your initial post was kind of confusing to me also. I think now I understand what you are doing. First, the '36 exterior fuel line goes in the side of the tank well above the bottom but what you don't see is a tube inside the tank that feeds near the bottom. Unless that tube is broken off you should have the near maximum available draw.

To remove the tank you need to remove the fuel neck. Removing this neck can be a REAL problem. The neck is held to the tank by a threaded collar (note picture). You need a spanner wrench (see picture), to remove it. Unfortunately, over time many of these necks have rusted to the tank which make their removal a challenge. Basically, you will need to place the nastiest penetrating fluid you can find over several days to convince the collar to cooperate. Good luck!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000538.jpg (42.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0973.JPG (51.6 KB, 7 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Terry,OH

Taking a look inside the tank, before removing it, is a good idea. The deck lid hinge has two (axles) pins about 5/8" dia. If you remove the 1/4" retaining bolt from each side you should be able to slide the pin outward toward the body sides. This will allow you to pull the entire deck lid off. If the rumble seat backrest is in place it will add a lot of weight to the removal!! Two screws on the bottom side of the backrest and you can remove the backrest.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 02-03-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Alan O'Connell

My mistake. I confused 36 with 5 window and thought it was a 35.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
my mostly 36 coupe

Thanks Guys, I got one of the two axles removed from the deck lid hinges today. Combined with removing the back cushion, I was able to remove the tank sender and look inside the tank.
My inspection mirror was too big to fit in the tank but I hacked one together from a broken computer disc drive disc. I found the tube inside the tank that connects the gas line boss to the bottom of the tank. I vacuumed out the tank and will install a new sender unit while I'm there. I'm in no hurry to do battle with tank removal but I'm now thinking I won't need to. Nice progress today...what fun! Thanks again for your expertise.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Make sure to take a very close look at the down tube. I have heard of one cracking allowing the fuel pump to pull air after the fuel level dropped a little. You also may be able to run a flexible small round brush in through the fuel line fitting boss. I just cleaned out a 35 hydrostatic unit with a long drill (out of the tank) It had almost closed up with fuel crud.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote