Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
drgoetz

Default 1935-1936 Ebay Motor

City: Lexington
State: Kentucky
Price: $945

1935 - 36 eBay Flathead Engine
I bought this motor on eBay for $350 along with some other stuff (as if I needed the other stuff.) I have a 1936 Tudor Touring Sedan my father bought me in 1964 and thought it would be fun to disassemble this engine … it really looked kind a ratty. The engine looked ratty but was told it was running when removed a few months ago. I have worked on the 1937 – 1953 flatheads but was intrigued by this engine. To me it was a “throw-a-way boat anchor.” So why not experiment! I pressure washed it prior to disassembly.

Wait ! Stop !, this thing looks good inside… a little grungy from non-detergent oil, but clean. It was 0.030 over on the bore, 0.010 on the mains and 0.010 rods, and had babbitt main bearings. Took the bearing caps off and had found a stack of shims under each cap. OK, I have worked babbitt bearings on Model A & B engines before … no problems. (See last 2 sentences next paragraph.)

Took the block, crank and caps to Cornett Machine in Somerset, KY. Told Dave to “check it out.” (Dave Cornett is a friend of mine… I trust his work.) The block was steamed cleaned and pressured washed, so was the crank, a few “Heli Coils (11),” pressure tested with water at 100 psi, cracks repaired, tested again, bored 0.040 over and crank polished. Since Dave works on older tractor engines, I let him reset the crank in the mains. Dave also did the valve seats. (Total $275… CHEAP!!)

I bought 0.040 NOS pistons on eBay ($95 inc. shipping), new rings ($65), and a new timing gear ($35). ALL valves are NOS “tulip” exhaust valves with adjustable Johnson lifters ($125.)

Included are the intake manifold, timing cover, front lower motor mounts, oil pan, oil pump, and oil pan, but No gaskets. For $125 more I have a set of Aluminum heads (listed elsewhere for $250.)

There is an 11 inch flywheel and pressure plate if you want it.

Altogether: $945. (inc. Al+ heads = $1,070 total)

I painted the block with a thin coat of flat black primer to prevent rust flash.

Pick up is free… shipping is your cost plus a little for me.

Bill Goetz
[email protected] Ph: 859-312-3145c
Lexington, KY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0575.JPG (132.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0587.JPG (128.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0588.JPG (142.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0590.JPG (129.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0591.JPG (135.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0594.JPG (129.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0599.JPG (136.4 KB, 75 views)
drgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote