Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #21
prpmmp

Default Re: Hershey chatter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5lL...em-uploademail Matt and Mike (Iron Trap Garage) doing their thing!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #22
Jeff/Illinois

Sounds like the golf cart type vehicles are going to cause more than their share of trouble.

About the time some yeah-hoo runs over someone and either kills them or maims them you can kiss Hershey good-bye, in today's law suit happy world. The organizers are taking a heck of a risk allowing this.

The RV's. Maybe you need to just open the door and walk in and ask if they have any parts for sale as they are taking up swap space, they must be parts vendors, right?. Of course you may see more than what you really want to
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #23
1931 flamingo

The scooters, golf carts are here to stay. The RV's are paying for the privilege to park there and may have sold parts in the past, but ran out of parts yet still like to go to meet old friends. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #24
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Sounds like the golf cart type vehicles are going to cause more than their share of trouble.

About the time some yeah-hoo runs over someone and either kills them or maims them you can kiss Hershey good-bye, in today's law suit happy world. The organizers are taking a heck of a risk allowing this.

The RV's. Maybe you need to just open the door and walk in and ask if they have any parts for sale as they are taking up swap space, they must be parts vendors, right?. Of course you may see more than what you really want to
Seriously!! Get over yourself!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #25
Ted Duke

Nothing is forever on this earth, and AACA Fall meet at Hershey will someday most likely go away. The way the fields are full of blank (and motor home-pickup) spaces which is getting worse every year that may be sooner rather than later.

I would like to see AACA eliminate one field and pack them closer like they were in the old days and put the judging back on blacktop. Just MHO, (but I'm right smiley face here).
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #26
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Nothing is forever on this earth, and AACA Fall meet at Hershey will someday most likely go away. The way the fields are full of blank (and motor home-pickup) spaces which is getting worse every year that may be sooner rather than later.

I would like to see AACA eliminate one field and pack them closer like they were in the old days and put the judging back on blacktop. Just MHO, (but I'm right smiley face here).
So, Nothing has changed in the last 40+ years when I had my spaces right beside Walt Brattons big tent in I think it was CE-73-74.. Oh yes, one thing has, No MUD..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #27
mhsprecher

True that there are a lot of carts, but I didn't have any trouble with them. In fact, there seemed to be fewer than in years past. Most go very slowly, so no problem. Not to say something can't happen, but it has been going on for a long time. You can only use one if you get it approved due to handicap, from what I understand, so I think that the liability issue has been covered.

BTW, I sat with some people from the Hershey Region of AACA. I asked if they had any paid staff to help with organizing the meet. They said no, that they had over 600 volunteers working on the meet. It is not a National AACA meet, but the Eastern Region. It is impressive in its scale, especially as it is all volunteer.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #28
brum1

Could not make it this year, post pictures if you can Thanks!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #29
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Beautiful weather. I had a great time. The only thing negative which I have to comment on and I will post something on the AACA forum too is the proliferation of mechanized vehicles being driven through the flea market. Years past they used to drag a can underneath them so you as a pedestrian were aware of their location. Not any more, there are dozens of these being used now and I've observed them speeding and weaving through groups of people and operators talking on cell phones while driving them. This has got to be controlled because it's now out of control.
I was ever so slightly side swiped by a scooter from behind whilst avoiding one coming head on. Neither had anything 'dangling' and were silent. The one coming at me had no regard for where I was walking, so I stepped to my left to avoid him just as one came up from behind and clipped my arm. Guy kept going and didn't give a second look.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #30
ronn

those scooter bast rds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #31
noboD

When did they start allowing gas powered scooters, minibikes, or bicycles? Last time I read the rules none of them were allowed. DOGS TOO.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #32
77Birdman

I have no problem with scooters, carts, etc, or even dogs. I would prefer they hang their empty from a string for warning though.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #33
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
True that there are a lot of carts, but I didn't have any trouble with them. In fact, there seemed to be fewer than in years past. Most go very slowly, so no problem. Not to say something can't happen, but it has been going on for a long time. You can only use one if you get it approved due to handicap, from what I understand, so I think that the liability issue has been covered.

BTW, I sat with some people from the Hershey Region of AACA. I asked if they had any paid staff to help with organizing the meet. They said no, that they had over 600 volunteers working on the meet. It is not a National AACA meet, but the Eastern Region. It is impressive in its scale, especially as it is all volunteer.
I find this hard to believe. I believe it takes 600 volunteers but registration and laying out the flea market is a monumental task. Even the legalities might require hiring a lawyer as volunteering would take up a lot of time. If they get all this stuff volunteered then my hat is off to them.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
Barry B./ Ma.

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;1808090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

That same Corvette story went through our high school back in 1964. Also WWII Army Jeeps still in the crates for only $50.
It could have been what we found under the back seat in a mint 50 Chevy, a spoiled unfrozen box of spinach.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #35
dean from bozeman

The weather couldn't have been better.

A lot of carts. If a person needs a cart, then a doctor's note or something like it should be necessary. Many carts driven by "healthy" looking guys who want to get around faster.

Bicycles are the real danger. On Thursday I almost got hit by a younger guy who was going way too fast. I was walking toward the tables on the right. When I turned to go left he cruised by. A step more and I would have been nailed. It would not have been good for me or the biker. Technically there should be no bikes at all on Thursday.

RV's, I'm with the "sell parts or their space is not renewed" crowd. Maybe they could make a place for all of them to park. Otherwise, it causes a lot of unnecessary walking and hurts guys with spaces where there are only one or two real vendors per lane.

I find that the vendor who has one or two Model A parts can have them priced way too high. Otherwise I thought that the prices were in the ballpark with an occasional great bargain mixed in.

Though it was sad, it was also nice to see widows of several Model Aers selling parts. It is difficult to get to a funeral but it is good to have an opportunity to give condolences. At times I find myself in a melancholy mood when walking around Hershey. So many good people have passed. On the other hand, there are so many new acquaintances that are made each year.

The Car Corral is always interesting but there are way too many "newer" cars. I usually enjoy cars 1969 and older. My personal wheelhouse is for vehicles from 1925 to 1941.

Would I change a few things? Yes. Will I keep going? Yes, as long as I can.

I do look forward to Hershey almost every week of the year. Is it weird that I enjoy hearing that "familiar voice" on the PA system at Hershey?

P.S. Just thought that they could have a row in every field for those large RV's. They could be angle parked for easy pull in and pull out. This would allow the "real vendors" to be packed closer together. That might be a win-win. The big RV's bring buyers. The sellers might have more visits.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 10-15-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added a thought
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #36
Frank Miller

Got my dad this sign. This stuff is around but you don't see it much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frank miller sign.jpg (158.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #37
montanafordman

I had a great time getting to Hershey for my Second time! The last was in 2017. I'm sure I saw some of you, may have even bought some parts from some of you. I really should log into fordbarn more often and try and make some of those connections - but work and my 18 month old son are keeping me busy! Major Kudos to my wife for playing single mom while I jetted across the country to hang out with my Model A club friends and buy car parts.

One of my most exciting finds happened to be a good deal on a fire chief pedal car for my son. I think he's going to have a blast with it. Someone from my local club Drove to hershey, and while he won't be back until december my son is a little small for it anyway. I'm very appreciative of my fellow club member's willingness to haul it for me, and I"m sure my son will love it.

I also picked up a great deal on a couple Model B carburetors, found a generator band, some original body and generator bolts, some 31 lock cylinders/keys for the door and trunk handles, original dash light bulb cover I was missing, shift lever, KCX-1 wiper motor, and a few other odds and ends I"m probably forgetting about. I have most of what I need to complete my car but found some goodies that apparently I couldn't pass up.

I seemed to notice fewer booths this time than two years ago which seems to mirror what has been going on with our local swap meet. Many involved in our hobby are getting older, and competition with Ebay and other online venues are making an impact - but with that said there seemed to be a lot of people selling model A parts, and many goodies to be had. There may have been empty spaces and missing some major vendors that I hoped to check up on but the sheer size and scope of what you can find at Hershey is still amazing. All in all I had a blast. Now I just need to get busy working on my car to one day get it back on the road again.

-Aaron