Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Richard/Ca

Default Brake/Clutch pedal

When I took the pedal shaft out of the bell housing there were no bushing. Now I understand that the early 28's did not have bushing. If it is a early 28 could I still put bushing in it and use it in my 29.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
dlshady

Default Re: Brake/Clutch pedal

Not sure I understand your questions because the pedal shaft doesn't have a "bushing in it" on any Model A. The pedals are what had the bushings, and only on some cars.

Multi-disk clutch bellhousings have a 3/4" shaft and the pedals had no bushings. Later cars with a single disk clutch had a 7/8" shaft and the pedals had bushings.

I don't really understand what you're wanting to use on your 29, but the information above should help you decide.

Last edited by dlshady; 04-03-2014 at 07:46 AM.
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Richard/Ca

Hi! Dishady
The problem started with lose pedal shaft. So I look one up in the catalogs and they show that they have bushing. Mine didn't so tomorrow I will have to check the size of shaft. It was so lose that I thought the bushing were wore out. Also why do they show clutch/brake pedal shaft set on page 49 of Bratton's catalog?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Doug Clayton

Richard -
The pedal shaft is 3/4" on the multi-disc clutches and 7/8" on the later single plate clutches. The 7/8" diameter pedals use bushings while the early 3/4" pedals do not. Are you confusing the lower clutch shaft which is 7/8" on all Model A's and uses bushings in the bell housing?
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Your 29 should have the 7/8" shaft, and it's pinned into the housing.
I've never seen one loose in the housing, so I wonder what's wrong?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
Richard/Ca

Hi Doug It been awhile since I have been out to visit you at the airport. No I am not confusing it with the lower one. This is the one that the brake and clutch slip on.And Tom it was so lose that after I punch the pin out I didn't even have to try very hard to pull the shaft out.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
Doug Clayton

Geez, I've never seen one that loose. I assume you have the 7/8" shaft. The hole in the bell housing must be enlarged, so you need to find a good bell housing. As an alternate, we can weld the end of the shaft and turn it to make a snug fit in the housing.
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
PAracer

I had this problem on my recently acquired 30 tudor. I pulled the pin and the shaft came right out. Thought the worst, housing was worn, but a fellow club member convinced me to buy a new shaft and try it. I purchased a new shaft and had to drive it in. Now the shaft is tight. I figure the old owner must have thought the shaft should slip in and took some material off the end of the shaft creating the loose fit. I'd try a new shaft before pulling the housing . They are cheap.
PAracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/Ca View Post
Hi Doug It been awhile since I have been out to visit you at the airport. No I am not confusing it with the lower one. This is the one that the brake and clutch slip on.And Tom it was so lose that after I punch the pin out I didn't even have to try very hard to pull the shaft out.
Sorry for the error in my original post, and thanks for bringing it to my attention Tom. Doug is right about the shaft sizes (not sure what I was thinking originally).

The only time I've seen the shaft be very loose in the bellhousing is when the bellhousing was cracked. If I were you, I'd look closely around the hole and especially around where the retaining pin goes through. I've seen more than one where someone tried to install the wrong size tapered pin and split the bellhousing. That's the main reason I've seen for the shaft being loose in it's bore.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Richard/Ca

Thumbs up Re: Brake/Clutch pedal

OK! Thanks I am waiting for a new 7/8 shaft now. I looked very close around the hole and didn't see any cracks will let you know what happens after iget the new shaft.