Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Ed Pitts

Default Change to 37 heads in my 36: Pros and Cons

Would there be any advantage in putting 37 heads and water pumps on the 37 block that I have in my 36? It's out of the car in pieces and now would be the time to make any changes. I currently have 36 heads and block off plates on the 37 block. Thanks, Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Change to 37 heads in my 36: Pros and Cons

The cr might be alittle higher, especially if you mill the heads for .050" piston clearance. Also might cool better. Make sure you clean the block very good. Might consider Bake cleaning.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I like to see the '36 bolt on parts in a '36 car (even if the block is later). If you are not having any problems I would leave it as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Don

I think the lower pumps work better for cooling,something to do with the water flo.i have a 37 block with the lower pumps in a 35, no problems dp
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Ed Pitts

Thanks guys. Sounds like it would be an improvement. Anyone have a good pair of '37 21 stud heads? Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Brian

Ed, Check that the pistons in your block are domed top if you're gonna run the 37 heads. Most of the early motors ran flattops, the 37 cylinder heads are designed for domed pistons, so if you put those things on a motor running flattops you're not gonna have much compression! Also, be aware that you'll need to change most of the headstuds to shorter versions to suit the 37 heads. Personally, I like the look of the early motors with pumps in the heads, even if it is a 37 block with block off plates. Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Lyle

I have a Rat Rod T bought for parts. It has a 37-38 with block off plates. I have ordered lower pumps and 21 stud heads without the pumps. What year did they go to domed pistons and inserts bearings???.The Rat Rod was lowered and they placed the radiator lower than the pumps. the pumps cant take suction and I got the car for a good price.lots of good stuff for my 29 A High Boy with a Flathead The 37-38 will go in a C cab T if the heads fit.
Thanks I love this Barn.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Barry WNY

I need to find early heads for dome top pistons for my fresh LB, have got one cast iron need another to finish and of course I want a pair of aluminum for looks. I have one I use now with flat tops so can't swap em. Have a few dome tops with bad corrosion, doubt that they can be filled.
If someone is swapping around and ends up with a pair of dome top aluminum pump-in-heads, I can use them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04269.JPG (61.8 KB, 7 views)
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
I have a Rat Rod T bought for parts. It has a 37-38 with block off plates. I have ordered lower pumps and 21 stud heads without the pumps. What year did they go to domed pistons and inserts bearings???.The Rat Rod was lowered and they placed the radiator lower than the pumps. the pumps cant take suction and I got the car for a good price.lots of good stuff for my 29 A High Boy with a Flathead The 37-38 will go in a C cab T if the heads fit.
Thanks I love this Barn.
Lyle mid 36 is when the domed pistons and the insert bearings came out. So all 37's would have insert bear. and i assume the domed pistons.There are NO L+R heads in 37 ,both sides interchange with each other.These are 21 studs.38 im not surethats when a lot of changes were made mid 38 the 24 stud came out and the94 carb instead of the 97. Lots of changes in 38. ken ct.FYI
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Hoop

The first LB (insert bearing) engines appeared in October 1935.

... and, Ed, when I look into a '36 engine compartment, I like to see the pumps in the heads.

BUT, that's just me.