Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #21
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: 32 sedan patch panels any good ones made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
If Tom's Parts are now junk I guess the only alternative is to make ones own panels from scratch. I think he needs to be told of your problems.

When ordering these parts as i wrote he was told about the junk we already had his words were ours are better there not the same that was not true. Im not wasting my time telling him about the problem I believe he already knows.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Ronnie....I don't have much to offer here except to say that I'm SO sorry that I supplied you with this sorry, jerko-liar's contact info back in Post #8. It's a cryin' shame that such an exorbitant number of these worthless suppliers have resorted to the distribution of any kind of friggen' crapola that they can stuff into a box, and to bend you over at the waist and feed you the big lie about it on top of everything! THIS is why that old adage about "Made in America" doesn't necessarily mean squat any more. You're obviously a guy that doesn't let "small" challenges slow you down much. You and your son WILL overcome this annoying setback!! We would all appreciate pictures as y'all overcome this fiasco. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #23
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Ronnie....I don't have much to offer here except to say that I'm SO sorry that I supplied you with this sorry, jerko-liar's contact info back in Post #8. It's a cryin' shame that such an exorbitant number of these worthless suppliers have resorted to the distribution of any kind of friggen' crapola that they can stuff into a box, and to bend you over at the waist and feed you the big lie about it on top of everything! THIS is why that old adage about "Made in America" doesn't necessarily mean squat any more. You're obviously a guy that doesn't let "small" challenges slow you down much. You and your son WILL overcome this annoying setback!! We would all appreciate pictures as y'all overcome this fiasco. DD

No worry's you had no idea this would be the outcome and in the end Im getting more time working with my son on something were learning to to do together. Heck maybe after this i might feel better doing body work if needed something up to now I have tried to avoid. As they say if you can learn something new each day thats a good thing were certainly learning some new things for sure doing this.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
Frank Miller

Not sure where you are in CT but you could take a class at Proshaper and learn how to make your own.

https://www.proshaper.com/coachbuild...aping-classes/
Old 12-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #25
DavidG

Or find someone locally with the equipment and talent to make it. They are out there.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #26
Tim Ayers

So crazy these crap parts are still out there. I wonder if someone would contact guys Bobby Walden or Flop if they'd be interested in making some.

The metal work these two and many others guys are doing is nothing short of amazing. Seems like there is a need for some quality '32 sedan panels; especially seeing the prices of '32 3 & 5 windows. Seems to reason why sedans are so hot right now.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #27
Krylon32

I'm sure sorry for recommending him. As I said above it's been some years but we used his panels for a project in the past. Maybe the body shop just threw his away and never said anything?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #28
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
So crazy these crap parts are still out there. I wonder if someone would contact guys Bobby Walden or Flop if they'd be interested in making some.

The metal work these two and many others guys are doing is nothing short of amazing. Seems like there is a need for some quality '32 sedan panels; especially seeing the prices of '32 3 & 5 windows. Seems to reason why sedans are so hot right now.
I believe Flop will only make panels he installs. It is expensive to make by hand and it may need some tweaking on installation. This way they control the whole process. Last I remember he is a one man operation with a back log of work.

If you take the class at pro shaper you can negotiate a deal to use the shop for your project. For like $25 an hour you have access to a lot of tools and expertise.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #29
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I believe Flop will only make panels he installs. It is expensive to make by hand and it may need some tweaking on installation. This way they control the whole process. Last I remember he is a one man operation with a back log of work.

If you take the class at pro shaper you can negotiate a deal to use the shop for your project. For like $25 an hour you have access to a lot of tools and expertise.
Hey Frank - you have it about right. A lot of his stuff in one-off custom . . . so unless he has the car/body in his mitts, he really can't make the panel or ensure that it fits.

Then, there is the installation part of it -- one can't underestimate what it takes to butt-weld panels together, know how to hammer and dolly welds, know how to shrink/stretch, etc.. There is a lot of "magic" that does into getting metal to do what you want it too. And there are quite a few times when you have to rework/redo the panel to get it right. So - it is time-consuming and typically costly to pay for "custom" metal work - at least to get quality work.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #30
clo

I bought a pair of wheel well patch panels for a 34 coupe from Tom bay. They were absolute junk!
clo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #31
Carl

All these are why nice clean bodies are rare and expensive now. Try to find good original pieces if you can. Tom Bay and other vendors are usually at the big Pate swap meet at Ft Worth in late April. Try to attend and inspect their panels in person.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #32
Kerk

I gave my son a 32 Tudor that was in TOUGH shape. I would have scrapped it ! Found a fellow who brought it back! The first time I went to see it after it was picked up from the blaster the fellow said I couldn"t come into the shop!! Afraid I would ha heart attack. He had cut the body in 1/2 !! It is now done and looks great!!! He enjoys restoring a car that is in tough shape! Stays busy and is booked way ahead. Picks & choosing what he will do.. There are people ne won't work for. He is a one man shop. Great guy
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #33
rotorwrench

I hammer out my own stuff when no one makes a decent reproduction. It is a skill set that takes some time to learn. I pitch a few pieces in the scrap heap after initial stabs at it but less and less over time. I wished I had all the fancy stuff like a Pull Max and a few other high dollar machines but maybe someday. Check sites like Metal Meet and others and look for a good metal former/fabricator that's close to you if you don't want to do it yourself. Keep in mind that this type of work always comes with a price. If it's not available, a person doesn't have too many choices.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #34
deuce_roadster

I have taken a couple of Ron Covell metal working classes and if there are any near you I would highly recommend one if you are interested in metalworking and like me, was slightly better then novice to begin with. Using common tools in one class he made a 3/4 size 36 Ford rear fender from flat pieces of metal, the other he made a 32 grille shell using mainly a bead roller. He pre cuts the flat metal and since he is travelling, makes them smaller then the original part due to shipping/airline considerations. He showed us how to use a Pull Max but it is just a way faster way to do something you can by hand. Like anything, experience is the key and you can't expect to do his quality work the first time out but with practice you could make something relatively simple like a 32 quarter patch panel I think fairly quickly with tools most have. Getting AKDQ (aluminum killed) draw grade sheet metal to begin with is a huge help.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #35
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have taken a couple of Ron Covell metal working classes and if there are any near you I would highly recommend one if you are interested in metalworking and like me, was slightly better then novice to begin with. Using common tools in one class he made a 3/4 size 36 Ford rear fender from flat pieces of metal, the other he made a 32 grille shell using mainly a bead roller. He pre cuts the flat metal and since he is travelling, makes them smaller then the original part due to shipping/airline considerations. He showed us how to use a Pull Max but it is just a way faster way to do something you can by hand. Like anything, experience is the key and you can't expect to do his quality work the first time out but with practice you could make something relatively simple like a 32 quarter patch panel I think fairly quickly with tools most have. Getting AKDQ (aluminum killed) draw grade sheet metal to begin with is a huge help.

Were actually past the issue of the patch panels my son did an amazing job with the poorly made stuff we had all it took was cutting them into four pieces and with a die I machined stamped what we needed. No need for a class we figured this out. Next project just completed was the reveal around the fenders most of the inner fenders were gone and the rust was high into the bead area. Since no replacement is made for this area i machined a set of dies male and female that matched the body reveal perfectly. Using the die we rolled our own replacement beads the complete arch of the wheel well. That area of the body is now completed. As of Sunday December 22nd we now have a rust free body everything needing replacement is completed. Learning as we go along has proven to be most times a fun experience.
Ronnieroadster
Old 12-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #36
deuce_roadster

Ronnie, I agree and applaud your die making skill. If you have some skills it is a fun challenge. I had to weld about 10" all the way around my rusted avatar 32 roadster and a few years ago I repaired a 32 roadster body for a friend that a "body shop" back in the 40s or 50s sliced the quarter from the beautiful reveal up to almost the trunk opening, pushed the metal in,an arc welded it all together. After cutting it out, the repair piece had several reveals as well as compound curves. It took some time to make the part but it TIG welded back in well due to making a good fit up.
Even with nominal skills folks should at least try to make a part first. You can do pretty amazing things with just a bead roller, shrinker/stretcher and English wheel.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote