Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #21
Sparky79

Default Re: holding a car until spring

I had a guy with a bike shook hands on a Sunday afternoon wanted 1500 cash no check Monday I call to be sure he was home said yeah but a friend came over and offer 1800. Said ok I will let everyone in town know your shady deal thanks. Following weekend found another older bike paid the guy 1800 for it first guy comes by, friends with my old landlord, said how's about that bike paid 1800 for it and is in worse shape. Dont trust the handshake bird in hand is for sure
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #22
Frank Miller

I had a 33 parts car. I mean parts. Maybe some patches here and there if you were doing a chop. I wanted 200 for the front axle and wishbone. I thought that was fair. Guy said he was not really going to give me much for the back section so I just asked for a tour of his facility for the club. I got it cut up like he asked and he said he comes by all the time and would pick it up. Month later it is still there. I send a text and nothing, so I take the stuff to Hershey and got a few dollars for it. He calls a few weeks after and asked where the parts were. I told him. He was pissed, to say the least. I told him he did not even give me any money for them. He said he would not pay over 100 for the axle and wishbone. He's well known in the hobby. I sent him $100 and called it a day. I do not let stuff I want sit in someone elses yard. I could have just said I thought you took it and must have got stolen etc. If you want it son't mess around. Even buying bigger items at flea markets, the vendors are usually pretty good with holding it until you get back but a friend close by is much better to leave it with, especially if you got a smokin deal.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #23
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I had a 33 parts car. I mean parts. Maybe some patches here and there if you were doing a chop. I wanted 200 for the front axle and wishbone. I thought that was fair. Guy said he was not really going to give me much for the back section so I just asked for a tour of his facility for the club. I got it cut up like he asked and he said he comes by all the time and would pick it up. Month later it is still there. I send a text and nothing, so I take the stuff to Hershey and got a few dollars for it. He calls a few weeks after and asked where the parts were. I told him. He was pissed, to say the least. I told him he did not even give me any money for them. He said he would not pay over 100 for the axle and wishbone. He's well known in the hobby. I sent him $100 and called it a day. I do not let stuff I want sit in someone elses yard. I could have just said I thought you took it and must have got stolen etc. If you want it son't mess around. Even buying bigger items at flea markets, the vendors are usually pretty good with holding it until you get back but a friend close by is much better to leave it with, especially if you got a smokin deal.
You paid him $100 ?
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #24
big job

Spring ya must live in a perfect world; round here, Spring comes middle of June. Have
cash get truck rent UHaul have snow shovel done deal..We bought at least 10 that way.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #25
Topher5150

I use the term spring loosely, but I've been thinking about there with a u-haul and digging it out by myself if I have to.
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Vics Stuff

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My buying practices vary depending on my gut feeling about the seller
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
You paid him $100 ?
He said he felt I owed it to him and I just sent it to see if his rich ass would cash it after he knew he screwed up. I believe he knew in the long run he did. When you act like something is not worth a lot to get the price down, I'll treat you accordingly.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #28
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5150 View Post
I use the term spring loosely, but I've been thinking about there with a u-haul and digging it out by myself if I have to.
I know if it were me I would be over there and digging it out an bringing it home. I never was one for waiting. Then you could begin to take stock of just what it needs and begin the search for the parts. I grew up in Chelsea, so I know Spring is just around the corner.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #29
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
He said he felt I owed it to him and I just sent it to see if his rich ass would cash it after he knew he screwed up. I believe he knew in the long run he did. When you act like something is not worth a lot to get the price down, I'll treat you accordingly.
Well, did he? I'm betting he did.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #30
Frank Miller

Yeah, he did.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #31
Bored&Stroked

To me, it all depends on the car, the seller and how I judge all of that. If the thing is buried in the snow/cold, he may NOT want you screwing with it . . . sometimes Old Timers have THEIR reasons for waiting until Spring (like he doesn't want to be outside having to supervise this crap). The fact that it is outside, kind of tells me it is probably not a pristine all-original 32 roadster in top shape . . . so maybe I don't need to be in a big ole' hurry about it.

If everything seems on the up and up, then just draw up a simple 'contract' that states the following:
1) What you are buying -- Make, model, year, vin number, etc.
2) Exact description of everything that "comes with the deal" -- if there are parts in sheds, then write it all down . . . just capture everything you're buying. If there is anything that doesn't come with the deal - call it out.
3) Description of the condition (if that matters).
4) That the stated person (name, address, phone, etc). is the legal owner of the vehicle and has the right to sell it.
5) Total purchase price and all "conditions" of the deal:
a) How much of a deposit - and how the 'balance' will be handled. (Cash, certified check, etc).
b) By what date you have to pick it up
c) What happens if you don't make it by that date (does he keep the deposit and tell you to pound sand?)
d) That he or somebody he designates will provide access to the vehicle, parts, buildings, etc - for you to pick it up at a later date.
e) That upon pickup, you will have a valid pink-slip, title, etc. - conveyed to release interest in the vehicle.
f) Dates and signatures of both parties. I'd then go to a place to photo-copy the original document (such that he has a copy as well). Or - bring two copies and sign/date both.

I've done this type of stuff multiple times. If you plan on going this route, then you need to have a clear conversation with the seller - to see if he agrees to these terms/conditions BEFORE you take a trip. Some folks won't sign anything - strictly cash and carry.

Good luck - keep us posted.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #32
Topher5150

Well here it is fellas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190427_162118210_HDR.jpg (88.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190427_171419026.jpg (72.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #33
marko39

I once made a deal for a car, 2500.00 .when I called to get it the seller said he got a higher offer and price was now 3000.00. I paid the money and hauled it home. Was I pissed? Not really as I new the seller was a turd. The car was a 58 Cadillac eldorado convertible.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #34
Kerk

My 32 was in a lean to and buried in snow. Got the call on a friday night and was there the next day. Agreed to deal and also worked on car to get it running. Starter was hung up took out and oiled it up.Worked. Got running. The owner and his son were shoveling it out when I left. Showed up on Sun A.M. jacked it up and put chains on to get it up to drive way. Removed them , put on a borrowed Dealer plate and drove it home.. Rest is history. I had been chasing this car for well over a year. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #35
RalphM

47 Tudor?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #36
Topher5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
47 Tudor?
Its a 41
Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #37
Tinker

Well I guess he kept his word. Floors look pretty decent. It's a good 2dr project, but they all are projects one way or the other. What are your plans?

Last edited by Tinker; 05-02-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #38
Topher5150

I want to use the floors and frame for my 47 coupe.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #39
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
I once made a deal for a car, 2500.00 .when I called to get it the seller said he got a higher offer and price was now 3000.00. I paid the money and hauled it home. Was I pissed? Not really as I new the seller was a turd. The car was a 58 Cadillac eldorado convertible.
If you left no deposit, the seller was no turd.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #40
Mike51Merc

Not to be morbid, but stuff happens. Seller could be the best guy in the world, but if he drops dead in the meantime will his family honor the deal?

Seal the deal, get it in writing.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote