Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
Ted Duke

Default Re: vinegar for cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I filled my sport coupe cooling system with cleaning vinegar about 2 weeks ago. I'll drain it in about 2 more weeks. I have high hopes.
Let us know how it worked!

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
poweredbylincoln

I am happy someone put up a post on vinegar I haven't got to read the replys or post yet.

I went to costco bought 15 gallons. they sell them in 2 gallons and its about 4 bucks or so.

I put windshield frames,juice backing plates ect. In a night or 2 it cleaned them to bare metal!!

However i tryed to neutralize them with backing soda and water and then simple green. I have yet to find a fool proof way to neutralize it and then paint the parts.

any help?

I have heard of guys with 500 gallon tanks putting motors in there and cleaning them.

I think vinegar is great but any helpful advice on nuetralizing it 100 % but being able to paint?

thank you guys
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #23
poweredbylincoln

* I bought white vinegar think it was heinz and each side of the backing plates were cleaned over night! to factory metal.. I will add that you want to fully submerse the parts in vinegar otherwise it will accelerate the rust on the part that is dry.

and how to neutralize it inside the windshield frames?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #24
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

White vinegar will derust but will take a long time. I used it to derust and free up a heat riser that was on my 46 Coupe. I put it in a plastic coffee can and covered it with vinegar and waited. A lot of heavy rusty scum formed on top, removed the scum and it formed again. Riser still not free, changed the vinegar more scum but with a frew taps with a hammer it would move slightly, more soaking, more tapping and so on. It finially freed it up and it will close by itself now. But over all it is still rusty. But removed rust it did.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #25
Chris Haynes

WHITE VINEGAR is the product to use. Not the yellow stuff. Soaking any metal part in it for a few days will remove any and all rust and corosion. I keep a plastic container on the bench for cleaning small parts.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #26
just plain bill

Local radiator shop poured in a pint of Marvel Mystery oil after cleaning and drying. Rotated the tank to spread equally.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
George

Reporting the results of filling the gas tank with white vinegar: Disconnected the battery first to prevent any sparks while working on the fuel system. It took almost 11 1/2 gals to fill to the top of the filler. I drained a small amount through the sediment bowl to prevent sloshing onto the paint work.
I left it for 2 weeks, rocking the car almost every day (whenever I would walk past it). Then I drained the vinegar which by the way was now rusty in color, back into the plastic jugs it came in and refilled the tank with water, hopefully to neutralize the residual acid on the metal.
I added a gallon of gasoline to the tank and rocked the car a lot to mix with what water remained in the tank and drained it. Then added around 5 gallons of gasoline and observed that my fuel gauge was now not working.Drained the gasoline out and removed the fuel gauge. SURPRISE!!!There was NO trace of the cork float remaining what so ever.
Did have a new cork replacement in my parts bin so I took care of that . reinstalled, and now works fine.
Refilled tank with 5 galons previously removed and began the process of draining the tank through the sediment bowl and out the gas line that I disconnected from the carburetor. Was still collecting water in sediment bowl at this time , so I continued draining until the sediment bowl remained clear of water etc. This took a while and I noticed that my fuel flow when draining was not improved from where it was when I started this process so I began checking for fuel delivery restrictions and DID find a significant restriction at the outlet of the sediment bowl tubing connection. What I found was (EUREKA) the tubing was pushed too far into the ferrule thereby restricting the fuel exiting the bowl assembly to the carburetor. Probably my real problem all the time. After trimming the excess tubing from the fuel line, fuel gushes from the fuel line as it should. And now, I check the sediment bowl frequently, did collect a further amount of sediment / water (which was pretty negligable) and feel that I did accomplish something good for the old girl after all.
This is my report. Good Luck on your projects. Bye.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #28
hardtimes

Hey George,
You did good, congrats ! Thanks for giving feedback report also.
BTW..regarding that 'missing' float. When the tank is low and/or empty sometime, take a light and look into filler area. If it worked prior to vinegar treatment, most likely it was loosened and SOAKED and is now on bottom of tank. Mine was right in center area ,between baffles. I made a long thin piece of metal into a 'cork sticker/gig' and pulled the cork out the neck. If it is cork, may further disintegrate with time and get into fuel system further. Special tule #1..patent pending,eh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (74.8 KB, 23 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
FL&WVMIKE

GEORGE ...................
If you are only having problems with FINE rust, you might drop in a secured magnet, on a string. You might get some of it out that way. Just check and clean it, ever so often.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #30
poweredbylincoln

Has anyone used white vineger to derust? Want to use it on sheetmetal panels.
if not will use muratic acid.

What would work the best to neutralize the vineger or muratic acid after the panels clean?

thank you
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbylincoln View Post
Has anyone used white vineger to derust? Want to use it on sheetmetal panels.
if not will use muratic acid.

What would work the best to neutralize the vineger or muratic acid after the panels clean?

thank you
I'm not a bodyman or painter, but I wouldn't use either one. I'd sandblast using 40 lbs pressure and black beauty. You can hang plastic to reuse the media.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #32
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Vinegar will do nothing in a day or two or even a week or two

be serious about it for at least a month!

patience patience patience....
Don't believe "nothing" is quite true. At least for me, vinegar works quicker than that. I've seen results in a little as 24 hours. I began my vinegar cleaning project just a week or so ago. Here's the process I am following:

Pour in 2-3 gallons of vinegar and soak 24 hours. Slosh it around and empty. Vinegar is cloudy, milky/light tan, so a lot of rust has been removed already.

Rotate tank (set it on its side) and refill tank with 2 gallons fresh vinegar.

Overnight, sediment settles from the first batch of vinegar. Strain it and discard sediment.

Repeat 24 hour cycle process by mixing strained and fresh vinegar as needed, rotating tank each time to soak all four walls until vinegar comes out clear.

At this point I am still at the "repeat process", which could end up taking a month as you said, or not. Time will tell!
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #33
Growley bear

It has been my experience here on the Oregon coast that after a good vinegar soak a good rinse with warm water mixed with baking soda will neutralize the action of the vinegar. When the part is dry I spray on a 50/50 mixture of MMO and WD 40 for preservation purposes.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #34
Wick

White Vinegar Cleans Mildew off of interiors and cleans plastic windows. Also get's rid of Mouse pee smell in a car. And if you have Ant's just wipe down the area there in.
Makes a good base for N.C. barbque sauce.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote