Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2020, 12:51 AM   #41
Aarongriffey

Default Re: Chevy guys

The guy I worked for with over 400 cars was a Ford man. He hated Chevrolets. Although he had 20 cadillacs 1941 to 1949 and packards, British sports cars, but no Chevrolets.
They had ball bearings in the front wheels instead of roller bearings.
Besides that, they had honey comb radiators! How can you rod out a honey comb radiator?
I’m a Ford man, but only through the early fifties. But I still like Chevies. Most of them.
You can change a clutch on a forties Chev in half the time it takes on a Ford, but a good mechanic could change a clutch on a Plymouth in 45 minutes. But those buggers wouldn’t start after sitting 12 hours in -30f weather.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #42
petehoovie

Flathead valve covers on a small block Chevy....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:49 AM   #43
Tinker

Well Pete that makes no sense!!! hahaha As bob marley said "you can fool some people some of the time, but you can't fool everyone all the time".

weird....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #44
38coop

It's like that with everything. Some people will only drink Budweiser and some will only drink Miller Lite.
38coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #45
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38coop View Post
It's like that with everything. Some people will only drink Budweiser and some will only drink Miller Lite.
Guilty.....
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #46
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38coop View Post

And of course, some guys will only "kiss" the PRETTY girls. Any legitimacy to any of the above sorta depends though, on whether a guy can actually back-up these assertions. On top of that, any importance to ANY of this at all depends on whomever MIGHT give a rat's butt! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Put a Ford 300 six in that FJ40. You'll be getting a dig in at the Chevy guys and most of them won't even realize it! Did you know that the straight six used in the Land Cruiser for many years was a direct copy of the 216/235 Chevy "Stovebolt" six of about 1950?
That would be nice and yes I knew about the Japanese stovebolt connection. I have owned three fj40s, two fj55s and 3 fj45 pickups. I have always wanted to own a 300 six and put it in something. I came close to putting one in my 47 tonner PU, but opted for a different inline six with seven main bearings, and no spark plugs. I am a huge ford fan, but will venture out as well. And, the 22re, yes, I totally get it and have also fantasized about that, but it's usually with a 3.4 v6. Almost as bullet-proof as the venerable 4 banger. Just to stay on track with this thread, ALL my car/vehicle friends on the island are chevy guys. And that's about 8 guys. They give me the business in good humor. Last year at Portland, my buddy bought a sign that said '95% of all ford trucks are still on the road. The other 5% made it home'....I know some ford guys, but we aren't close friends and they mostly have later ford stuff. As far as I know, there are no other flathead enthusiasts on this rock.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #48
flatford8

If it’s old....like me.....runs the best it can....like me....burns gas and makes noise......like me...LOL.....then I’ll like it and enjoy talking about it with you!!!!.......Don’t care who made it.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #49
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
In the antique tractor and one lung engine circle, we have 'John Deere Guys'. They don't come by and trash our stuff or anything, they just ignore us, but we do suspect they sleep on green satin sheets to match their embroidered jackets and hats. And I Love the chevys with flatheads photos. Gives me an idea about a toyota FJ 40 landcruiser I was recently given with no engine........
Yes, and some paint their mailboxes "green" with yellow trim!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #50
A bones

To each his own. I have had multiples of marques the first letters of which use up half of the alphabet.

I respect anyone's property. Especially one who chooses to restore. Your neighbor sounds like respect is absent from him. His Chevy probably cries alone at night.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #51
philipswanson

I never liked Chevies even though I do have a 2000 Corvette among 8 Fords and one Challenger. I never drive the Corvette. Just don't like bow ties. Bodies are cheap and a PITA to work on.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #52
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I never liked Chevies even though I do have a 2000 Corvette among 8 Fords and one Challenger. I never drive the Corvette. Just don't like bow ties. Bodies are cheap and a PITA to work on.

I'm trying very hard to understand then, why you would choose to keep and "bad-mouth" something (the Vette) that obviously gets your drawers wadded-up so emphatically. Dump it and be done with it! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #53
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I'm a Ford guy. I don't hate Chevys, just not interested in them. I have a friends that are Chevy guys, I respect them and their cars and they do the same. We joke around about the Chevy/Ford thing, that's all.

I would never trash any ones car, regardless of make, if was well built.

Now don't get me going about the custom guys!!!!!!

Very well said Paul ! I totally agree . Amen !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #54
rotorwrench

A friend of mine recently purchased a used 2008 F150 with the 4.2L V6. I looked at that engine and the first thing that came to mind was Buick V6. It didn't take much research to find out that it was in fact a basic copy of that engine including the same type external oil pump. Ford didn't use it too long but it got them through till more overhead cam designs were developed.

I've found that all of the old American auto manufacturers have some design or designs that I like. I'm more partial to Ford and GM but all of them had some good stuff at one time or another. I like a 1951 Mercury as much as a 1951 Hudson for design but I have more sentimental attachment to the Mercury. No one can argue that it's less expensive to build a small block Chevy than about any other type of V8. GM made a bunch of em. Even the old stove bolt 216 got me out of more trouble than I care to admit but there''s still nothing quite like the old flathead Ford V8s.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote