Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
ronn

Default visit to Carlisle yesterday.......

so I went to the spring show and last fall as well. both were fuller and busier then yesterday. I was very surprised.

dont think vendor spaces were even half full and walking down an isle at noon, I said to my son, where are the buyers? It was that empty.

I spoke with several people and they agreed that it was a bit of a ghost town.
Am guessing with gas prices up, and the past year of events, many vendors are throwing in the towel. Half of the occupied spaces were new goods being sold,
such as car supplies and tools. dont see this as getting any better in the future.

the consensus was that since Hershey is being held this year, the vendors would be choosing to go there instead. Im not so sure....... I have always in the past seen most of the vendors from Carlisle also attending Hershey.

Personally, I wont be going back to Carlisle in the near future. just dont think it is worth my time, though I did score some small items. I was also disappointed that I couldnt drive my truck in for 5 minutes at 3pm to pick up a set of 4 model A whls I purchased. my son and I had to lug them out. they have a lift service, but then you have to wait around on them and them to get to you. they did say after 5pm would be ok to go in, but I was exhausted and had to leave to pu a plow in upper PA.

so the question is- what will the future bring to the hobby and these shows?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #2
77Birdman

Default Re: visit to Carlisle yesterday.......

I would surmise you may be a bit early? I try to go to Carlisle in the spring, Hershey in the fall. Once in a blue moon I have hit Carlisle in the fall. My experience is that Fri is pretty packed. By Sat afternoon a lot of vendors are on their way out. I usually try to get there on Thursday to avoid a large crowd. I would wait a couple of days and see what the crowd turns into. I know for myself as a working man Its harder to take off in the middle of the week than the end/weekend. I think its kinda hard to compare the two venues. Yes I did notice last spring that there was an abundance of what I would call 'junk sellers' - Cheap chinesium tools, and such. Kinda like a non automotive flea market. There is a load area at I think is the main gate. We have always had good luck pulling in there on a temp basis to load big heavy stuff. Getting it to the gate, youre on your own. Thats where a good cart comes in handy.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
ronn

I was a bit early to all 3 shows birdman- I always hit it on weds morn- believe it or not,

several cars were already sold at 8:30 in the morning. can only guess they went dealer to dealer............

carets dont work to well on a motor. you are at the shows mercy............... or wait around till after 5pm.

all "rules" arent always good. common sense doesnt always make the right decisions
Old 10-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
Wick

I set up on top of the hill Tuesday afternoon. Sales were brisk till dark. I moved A parts that were going to Hershey. Wednesday morning first sale at 6:45am. Steady all day. Thursday it dropped off,I had moved the good stuff. Traffic was heavy Thursday, Lookers not buyers. Saw at least 5 good Model A piles,but $$$
Fender pricing was $350-$500 each. Side shields were $500.00 Hoods $200,Tanks $350
Overall the crowd was small,everyone was in a good mood.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
jwmckenzie

Wick, were are located at Hershey?
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
ronn

Wick, thanks for the updates and info. surprised at the fender and shield prices......

wonder if any sold?

I bought a couple of speedos, horns and a front 29 bumper. My best buy was 11 55-56 chevy titles. also a set of 4 rims and tires for 30. bucks- 19" tires hold air but are trash.

good rollers.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #7
Wick

Ronn good job on the titles. I will be at spots CJ 71-73
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
redmodelt

The Portland Swap meet has the same rules re driving on the grounds during the meet. There are plenty of kids earning a few bucks that will haul your stuff back to your space or the pickup holding area.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
ronn

obviously a diff work ethic on the east......

kids dont work here.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

ronn thanks for the update and the info.

Carlisle is a pretty hefty jaunt for me, I've never been to it OR Hershey. I was going to go to Carlisle this year but actually forgot about it, I didn't write it on the calendar. Glad I didn't go.

Hershey, sounds like it is kind of in it's death throes also from what local guys have told me about their experiences in the last few years, that have gone.

All costs associated with these type of things is going up and up. Inflation is our new 'friend' he is on a roll. Therefore, I am a lot pickier about what I go to these days. It is real easy to start shelling out hundred dollar bills to attend these far away swap meets and car shows, before you even buy anything.

As a consequence I find myself sticking close to home going to free stuff like local car shows and cruise nites. I'm having fun doing that. I popped into the Knoxville, Illinois cruise nite last August and for a small event it is always a blast. Don't drive in from like Tennessee to see it it isn't worth that. The Boy Scouts set up a lunch tent and I'd rather donate $$ to them than spend it trying to drive 1800 miles to Carlisle and back, plus they are always very friendly and courteous and thankful for donations!!!

Monmouth, Illinois Cruise nite is the same, only it is a big event. 2,000 cars and 23,000 spectators you see a little bit of everything, and it is all FREE. People love it it is a great time. Come and go as you please, no entry fees, no trophies or all of that. And 22 miles from home!

Cheap entertainment.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 10-03-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #11
ronn

thumbs up Jeff...... I debate every yr regarding Hershey and I am not that far away.....

I drop 300. before I even get out of my truck at the show, and its free. room one night, fuel and the incredibly high tolls now...... plus food. makes you wonder where its all headed.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
thumbs up Jeff...... I debate every yr regarding Hershey and I am not that far away.....

I drop 300. before I even get out of my truck at the show, and its free. room one night, fuel and the incredibly high tolls now...... plus food. makes you wonder where its all headed.
That's a shame all of those costs. Yes where is it headed? And they are kicking about the idea of taxing us per mile driven on top of everything else. If that ever happens that will really kill things.

I could kinda see taxing per mile for all electric cars, they use the same roads and bridges and stuff we do they need to help pay for that. But not gasoline and diesel vehicles
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #13
ronn

That's a shame all of those costs. Yes where is it headed? And they are kicking about the idea of taxing us per mile driven on top of everything else. If that ever happens that will really kill things.

Ive had many visions/dreams of me tooling around on a moped in my final yrs......
we will see if that comes true!
Old 10-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #14
77Birdman

Hershey is a bit diff than Carlisle. Carlisle is more modern'sh, muscle car oriented than Hershey. Anything you could ever want for a Corvette will be found at Carlisle (in fact it was started because the guy couldnt show his vette at hershey!). Hershey is more pre war stuff and associated with the AACA and they have a large show culminating on Saturday. So, there is the swap meet most of the week, a classic car auction and the show on saturday. Not sure of the decline at Hershey as it was cancelled last year and I understand that the vendor spaces have filled. Plan on being there friday, report on monday.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
McMimmcs

Hershey, I plan to fly in from Detroit! I sincerely hope it is worth the time and money! I attended for many years but the last two years I attended were very disappointing! I was told all good things were bought up by dealers before the gates opened! Wayne

Last edited by McMimmcs; 10-04-2021 at 07:36 AM.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #16
77Birdman

Cant say if you will enjoy yourself or not. Personally I look forward to the trip as soon as I get home from going. AND I dont go to buy anything!! I just like walking around and looking at all the stuff for sale, the project cars, and the car corral. I suppose I am the worst customer there because I spend maybe $50-$100. Usually literature or a car care product. I dont own a pre war car but like to immerse myself in the stuff. Then again Im only 45 min away.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #17
ronn

Wayne, if you dont attend on Tuesday, that is mostly true.

by Weds, the good stuff is mostly gone or being resold. Being as large as the show is, it is tough to take it all in. Also, some of the late vendors do come in on weds, so there are always possibilities.
since I cant attend till weds, I will prob skip this yr. Normally I am 2 hrs away, but this yr I am 4 hours away and not going to drive the 8 hrs back and forth. I never need much, but always do buy several small items. Hope everyone has fun!
Old 10-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #18
The Austrian

I really envy you guys in the US. Plenty of parts vendors for early Fords and so many swap meets. Here in Austria I can only mail order the smaller parts. That's why I paid attention that the sheet metal and runnign gear was in good order when I bought my Tudor Sedan in the US.
Keep enjoying those swap meets and car shows.
Cheers,
Mirko
The Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #19
ronn

yes Mirko-you are somewhat at a financial disadvantage regarding you model A- HOWEVER

when you drive around Europe in your A- YOU are the standout.....! dont see many As in Austria.