Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2021, 11:28 PM   #1
Brian

Default rubbish needle rollers

There have been threads on here a few times about the lack of quality of modern caged roller bearings as found in transmission and rear hubs. This also pertains to the outboard bearing behind the differential pinion gear. I've just stripped my Columbia, less than 2000 miles since complete rebuild using all new parts throughout. For the outboard pinion bearing #18-4625A, I had fitted a brand new MADE IN USA Bower R-1304-B bearing. It is now rooted!! the end plates are soft as butter and the rollers have worn into them, also they are worn on o/d and i/d from rubbing on the races. So beware, even Yank made stuff can be crap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040257.JPG (130.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Brian; 08-02-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: rubbish needle rollers

My .02 is that they can get away for the most part because us old collector types will sometimes put 100 miles a year on our 'stored' cars.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:12 AM   #3
koates

Brian, I had German made rear hub bearings that did that little trick with the soft end plates and they were new from Macs a few years ago. Best find some old old NOS ones somewhere. Hyatt brand were good. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
19Fordy

It is sad that "Made in the USA" now seems to apply
to only the paper box containing the bearing.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-02-2021 at 07:55 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
alanwoodieman

when I see a usable original bearing I keep it. if it is not pitted, or shedding metal I will use them. far superior to what is available today. I have also had to redo the sleeves after they had been done
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #6
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There have been threads on here a few times about the lack of quality of modern caged roller bearings as found in transmission and rear hubs. This also pertains to the outboard bearing behind the differential pinion gear. I've just stripped my Columbia, less than 2000 miles since complete rebuild using all new parts throughout. For the outboard pinion bearing #18-4625A, I had fitted a brand new MADE IN USA Bower R-1304-B bearing. It is now rooted!! the end plates are soft as butter and the rollers have worn into them, also they are worn on o/d and i/d from rubbing on the races. So beware, even Yank made stuff can be crap!
I'd help you out but don't work for NTN anymore. They got rid of all their direct sales force (boots on the ground guys) in favor of marketing rep agency guys who don't know squat.
Case hardening issue..... which would be unusual for Bower/NTN.
Most of that stuff comes out of Hamilton Alabama or McComb Illinois, which are old Federal Mogul (National) manufacturing facilities.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
tubman

So you are saying that NTN (whoever they are) would or would not be a good source?

Sorry, I'm not up on traditional American bearing manufacturers. The only thing I know is I read an article a few years back written by one of the last members of the family that started and operated Timken for years. He told the story of how it was purchased by some corporate raiders and systematically dismantled and most operations moved "offshore".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #8
Brian

At my last place of employment [prior to my retirement], we used pretty well exclusively SKF branded bearings. The printing on the individual boxes they came in said where said bearing was manufactured...just about every country in the world it would appear has the manufacturing capabilities to manufacture SKF bearings.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
So you are saying that NTN (whoever they are) would or would not be a good source?

Sorry, I'm not up on traditional American bearing manufacturers. The only thing I know is I read an article a few years back written by one of the last members of the family that started and operated Timken for years. He told the story of how it was purchased by some corporate raiders and systematically dismantled and most operations moved "offshore".
NTN is another 100 year old bearing manufacturer…..
Timken (like all bearing manufacturers) buys from others that which they don’t make themselves. Basically a completely whored-up market.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #10
Talkwrench

I believe this is going to be a big issue, nothing is made too last anymore. Its got me buggered how modern cars last as long as they do..
Old 08-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
when I see a usable original bearing I keep it. if it is not pitted, or shedding metal I will use them. far superior to what is available today. I have also had to redo the sleeves after they had been done
Some of the best parts are found in salvage yards, off of original cars, cleaned up, serviced and reused. Or at swap meets, in the original boxes.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote