Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
wi0v

Default 29 Murray Cowl Band

As you can see in the photo, I have the car just about finished (On the outside) except for the cowl Band. Now its the body color but should be chrome. I have heard of painting them with a rattle car silver. Not really too wild about that. So can leave it body color (Tampa Red) or paint it silver or paint it black.

Don't know what to do, any "constructive suggestions"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0055.jpg (58.1 KB, 66 views)
[email protected]
wi0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
John LaVoy

Default Re: 29 Murray Cowl Band

I vote for going all out and having it nickle plated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sedan red wheels.jpg (80.0 KB, 39 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
wi0v

I agree with John, but you can't get the thing off. It's not like a 30, I understand the base is welded on and the band snaps in. If someone has taken one off of a 29 and had it plated, sure would like to know how to do it?
[email protected]
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Rusty Homestead Fl

I'm with John. You've evidently already put lots of time and money into your car (and it looks great) so now is not the time to shortcut the car or yourself. You'll kick yourself for not finishing off the outside properly and in a year you'll never miss the money. Hey, whats another couple hundred bucks, right? lol. Yeah, finish it up right.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

Let me see and please correct me if i am wrong "BUT" this cowl band is like GOLD to some people. I have seen $450.00 for crap ...This band is brass and should be Nickel plated up to Oct, 1929 . There after it could of been Chrome. The Cabriolet and also the Town Car had the same band. Now if you go to have it plated i have heard nightmare's of the band getting caught in the buffing wheel...and being brass ,you now own a 3 ring pretzel. Doug Bruce worked on one getting the dents out without the brass splitting which is hard to do I also heard its a bitch to get off and then put back on... What ever you do,,, good luck.... There is people looking for such a band. Now i hope i am correct with this band...the price to plate is around $350.00 by Pauls Chrome [if he will handle one again]!!!!!!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
steve s

I think I paid $200 for mine about 7 years ago, and another few hundred to have it plated by an outfit that advertises in Hemings, and then some more to have a professional body guy install it. I managed it as a Christmas present to me. Really finishes the car.

steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
SteveB31

Charles (Buddy) Frasier in Quniten, Virginia has a couple all plated and ready to install. Give him a call. I THINK $450 each.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Bob C

Everything I have heard agrees with what Peter said. If it were mine I would not attempt anything until I talked with some one who had successfully removed,had plated, and reinstalled one.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Del in NE Ohio

I was fortunate. When I got my '29 Murray it was completely disassembled... I took the band to a plater in Western PA for Nickle plating. The job came out nice... but installing WOW! Those things are delicate!! I had too much paint build-up on mounting surface and actually had to remove some paint to get the thing on.. Would rather have a root canal than try to do it again! Good Luck!! MURRAYs RULE!
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
peters180a/170b

Steve ,, what a straight looking black car!!! but your killed me with the white walls and headlights/tail light....l.o.l. Very nice car.... Anyone who paints their car black i give them credit....allot a work keeping them clean !
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Roadster62

Thanks for the info! I'll be looking for these a bit more actively now.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Steve Wastler

There was one at Hershey last year, I think it was aroun 400 and needed restored, but my memory hasn't been that good lately. Harbor freight has some plastic pry bars and trim tools that may work well in removingthe band. I too think if the cowl was painted with this in place, you have your work cut out for u! Use patience and good luck...
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
wi0v

I have gotten so many responses I can't believe it. However, I guess the consensus is that I should try to remove it and have it plated. A little scared to try it since there are no replacements but will try it. I just want to thank everyone that contacted me (some by private message and phone) for all the help and advice.
[email protected]
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi0v View Post
I have gotten so many responses I can't believe it. However, I guess the consensus is that I should try to remove it and have it plated. A little scared to try it since there are no replacements but will try it. I just want to thank everyone that contacted me (some by private message and phone) for all the help and advice.
If you do not mind...please let us know just how you faired on removing the band.

Thanks.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I think I paid $200 for mine about 7 years ago, and another few hundred to have it plated by an outfit that advertises in Hemings, and then some more to have a professional body guy install it. I managed it as a Christmas present to me. Really finishes the car.

Steve,

I totally agree with Pete...

Steve ,, what a straight looking black car!!! but your killed me with the white walls and headlights/tail light....l.o.l. Very nice car.... Anyone who paints their car black i give them credit....allot a work keeping them clean !

But besides that...what a beauty...I love it!

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Barry B./ Ma.

We are doing a 29 Town sedan for a friend and the cowl band was missing. The base piece is still there but looks ugly so we bought a 7ft. brass DD moulding from Universal Tire and formed it over the base. I cut off roughly 3" on each end.We plan to attach it on each end with oval countersunk screws, it is now at the plating shop for nickel plating. The total cost is around $320. It is thicker but looks the same to me. Not cheap but a doable substitute.

Last edited by Barry B./ Ma.; 02-13-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added D
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #17
Roadster62

Could someone post photos of the attachment hardware, and underside of the band? Are the cowl sections on all Fordors the same or are the ones with factory installed bands different? Did both Briggs and Murray use them? (NOT a Fine Point question, just wondering if a band could be fitted to a 1928-29 Fordor cowl)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
John LaVoy

The Town Sedan and Fordors used different cowls and the band would not fit on the fordor. There is a track that the band snaps onto.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

I helped a freind remove one of these a couple of years ago. It was a tedious proccess. For as hard to find as they are he sure had a hard time selling it. Finally after several weeks of trying he got it sold, but much cheaper than either one of us figured. I have never had to put one on and hoppe I never do. Rod
Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 329s View Post
Steve,

I totally agree with Pete...

But besides that...what a beauty...I love it!

Pluck
Thanks for the compliments, hedged though they be, guys. The headlights came with the car when I got it in 1960. I always thought they looked kind of cool and I love the sealed beams, so I kept them. The tail lights are Peterson trailer lights. Although you'd never guess it from photos, I think that they look kind of nice in reality--if you're not a Model A guy, don't really look out of place. In any event, I'm obsessive about nighttime visibility, and am going to have side lights whatever it takes.

Here we are before the cowl band and white walls. I think that black wheels are crucial for the look, and IMHO keep the whitewalls from being too gaudy.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote