Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default under dash dome light wire placement

I have a loose under dash dome wire, that is live, but I am not sure where to fashion it down under the dash. Where is such a wire usually clipped down?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: under dash dome light wire placement

Frank, can you still make out the color coding, or is it a new wire (part of new harness)?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
FrankWest

This is the original dome wire. There are 2 metal clips on the wire but I am having a problem seeing where it should be clipped on.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ok, your referring to hold-down/mounting clips, not electrical clips. Don't know that one.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Ok, your referring to hold-down/mounting clips, not electrical clips. Don't know that one.
I have to spend some time under the dash seeing where I could clamp them down..I don;t think they get attached to the bottom edge of the dash because then they would be visible from the front seat.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 AM   #6
Lawson Cox

That wire is run along the top side of the lower ledge on the dash. Can't be seen from passenger seat. I believe that wire is blue and white but don't hold me to that.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Terry,OH

The restoration book has the routing under the cowl vent, and above the glove box. No clips
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The restoration book has the routing under the cowl vent, and above the glove box. No clips
What year and body style vehicle are we talking about?? I was thinking 34-36 sedan. Also, I was thinking about 35-36 PU but they do not have dome light as standard item. Also after a little thought I realize I was thinking about dash light switch. Bad case of age related CRAFT.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Frank, I'm not sure it is clear what wire you are referring to. Could you clarify what wire it is? A wire to an under dash light or to the interior dome light? They would both be Black with a Blue tracer. The dash light wire starts at the lighting switch at the bottom of the steering box and goes to the toggle switch on the bottom edge of the dash and then to the dash light. The dome wire originates at the fuse panel and goes to the dome light switch in the interior and then to the dome light itself.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Frank, I'm not sure it is clear what wire you are referring to. Could you clarify what wire it is? A wire to an under dash light or to the interior dome light? They would both be Black with a Blue tracer. The dash light wire starts at the lighting switch at the bottom of the steering box and goes to the toggle switch on the bottom edge of the dash and then to the dash light. The dome wire originates at the fuse panel and goes to the dome light switch in the interior and then to the dome light itself.
This is the wire that goes directly to the dome light..I was able to clip it on near the cowl vent and against the right pillar too. I never changed the interior wires of the car when I change the harnesses. The internal wires seem to be in good shape. And I have my dash light working, the dome light working and the glove box radio light working too. So all is well there. Again, I want to thank you and everyone else that guided me through replacing the light switch and both harnesses..I repaired the lead back on the condenser in my horn and that is working. I replaced a park light socket and that is working... Will miracles never cease!